Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

921 - 940 of 974 Posts

·
Native Californian
559 Posts
okay so the 97 is demanding some attention, the rear tank is leaking! looks to be rusted out or a pinhole from a rock + contact with skid plate

What size tank can I stuff in here? I do not want to remove flatbed!

Looks like I just drop skidplate then drop tank....easy enough

I will modify the skidplate next time to gain some room between them

Any advice on what rear tank to use? Plastic? larger capacity?

Thanks!
What they said above. I believe a company make some for that specific replacement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just read this entire thread. I’ve been pretty deep in research on these 7.3s for about 2 years especially after I got mine. 97 dually 158k. This was great information to back up what I’ve learned and more! 410 you’ve done a heck of a job with that truck. The kind of living you’ve got now is a dream come true. Most would have no idea the kind of thrifting and sacrifice it take is the beginning to make a project that big happen. Glad to see everything work out in the end. I too just got my 38g tank. Maybe I missed it but I didn’t see mention of extending pickup tube and bending new arm for float for correct fuel level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #923 ·
Extending the pickup tube!! Oh heck no........I just built that thing for the flatbed and it was a PITA!!
LOL

thanks alot man it really means a great deal to hear this stuff.
I work my ass off to keep old machines going, I would have it no other way!!!
I am looking forward to doing some more major upgrades on the F350 this summer.....planning a white monstaliner paint job for the cab, I have a rubber superduty floor kit to install and I need to finish all the door hinge pins and fix the rear two doors (power windows locks) I have been watching craigslist for almost 2 years looking for the right front bumper setup too...so far nothing good enough. I may just have to buy it new!!! ......

Updates are coming!! Thanks again...right now Im fixing the undercarriage on the takeuchi mini excavator and getting ready to rebuild wifes FJ rear axle.....

·
PSN intsigator
7,367 Posts
I did have to extend my fuel pick up, and also rebent my float arm, but also lengthened the fuel return line so it wasn't near the pick up anymore

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m waiting to see what you upgrade next performance wise. I’m jumping straight to 238/100s and a t4 s366sxe. Still need to install gauges and collect Intercooler and plumbing. Been saving for a while so I think I’m about to punch my ticket. Curious, have you ever thought about dynoing the truck to see what you’re actually putting down?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #926 ·
After E fuel then maybe a dyno there is one in town.

I am still running around with the oem Hpop and its leaking at the gasket
So my performance plans include a new Hpop and E fuel :)

I know it can tow alot more weight then it could when I got it, it can handle the road and the load like a champ, when I first drove it I thought I had made a huge mistake giving up my V10 superduty...... now I would never trade this thing for the world....

In Colorado I had to emissions this sucker every year and they use a dyno, it was actually pretty good HP and torque for a 97, I was just happy that is passed!! Pretty sure they wanted like another $150 to tell me the hp and torque numbers, but the guy was hinting that it did pretty good for an old project (they had a board and the leader for the area was a cummins truck with like 800hp and 1200 ft lbs)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #927 ·
Finally installed the 38 gallon tank...wow what a job that turned into
This is not a drop a tank install a new tank simple swap. There is some mods to be made to make the 38 gallon fit my OBS
This big mess is trying to get the new tank to work with the existing DE 4" exhaust.
I was able to make it clear and work with my mud flap situation without having to buy anything or pay for custom exhaust routing/bends

The typical install woes:
First off the bolts they send and the pieces of pipe that are to act as spacers, are all worthless. Bolts too short, no locking nut no locking washer.
The pipe pieces that are to act as spacers are pointless, they will just sit in there and rattle
Also the tank came with a "kit" to extend the pick up tube about 6" Well its almost worthless too since its a copper tube and butt splice...but you cannot solder to the factory steel/aluminum some sort of alien metal fuel line.
So I soldered the two pieces of copper together, slipped them onto the factory tube, made a small crimp to hold it together and then covered the whole union with 3/8" fuel line and two clamps.
I bent up my own extended float bar using a piece of aluminum brazing rod.

I had to cut a huge corner off the factory "skid plate" to clear my exhaust and re work the last two pieces of Diamond Eye pipe so it would still go over the axle and out the truck but now around the larger fuel tank. A big hammer and body metal dolly did a good job of denting the crap out of the tank some more so I have the clearance needed. Then I just re welded the rear most exhaust hanger into its new position...and wah La! 38 gallon tank install completed.
It works great! The float works very well, I put in 19 gallons of fuel and it was right at the half way mark = perfect!
Nice to have extended capacity.

I did not use any spacers, instead I just used grade 8 bolts, washers and nylock nuts...the factory "skid plate" is more like two over glorified tank hold up straps...so that is how I treated them, with the tension of the bolts completing the strap.
Pretty happy with it especially for the price.

What a mess, tank was leaking right where it rubs on skidplate, big shock!

New tank was painted with high heat paint, yes silver! I had a can lying around. All fuel tanks should be silver...somebody decided that years ago I cannot change that now

Basically a 6" difference, I made a little template on cardboard of the stock sender (trace it out) and its height/float locations at top and bottom...then cut the tube and added 6". used my little template to bend up the new float arm and that was about it. Made sure the pickup (crows foot) landed right where I wanted it, in the middle of the sump and about 1/4" off the bottom of the tank.
Aside from not being able to sweat copper tube to the factory metal hose (WTF are they thinking with this kit??) all went well!
No good pics of this, sorry I was doing this between other projects. (New tank is 6=1/8" deeper at the top)

Hung properly with grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts and no stupid "pipe spacers" needed

This is what it looked like before I pulled the exhaust all apart and started messing with the angles, then bashed in part of the tank and re welded the rear most hanger. There is 1/2" of space now... I will get some more pics of the final situation
TIGHT FIT with the 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, I considered a side dump in front of tire and also dumping straight at the ground right before the tank...luckily I was able to make it work and those were not needed.

Glad that is over!!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #928 ·
Here is where it settled
I am still not happy I will explore other options.
Before the tank I had the pipe perfect! Right where it looked and worked best....now its all fubar...yuck
But it clears the tank and leaf spring, no rattles, and works with the mud flaps so....I will run it until I can get to a shop with a bender and 4" dye

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #929 ·
Just scored a complete Superduty hydroboost setup for free! 2002 F350 V10 truck with 150K miles.......
I understand I need to move the pin on the brake pedal and deal with a standard to metric hoses on the steering gear box lines since I still have OBS steering box.
Anything else? any other tricks up our sleeve?

Looking forward to hydroboost on the F350!!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
There's some good info on the Powerstroke Army forum in the 94-97 Aftermarket section on Hydroboost Conversion. One is a "sticky" and there is another thread on F53 Hydroboost Conversion for OBS. Cheers!

·
Native Californian
559 Posts
Being an SD owner, if it were me, I would stick with the OBS setup. I love my SD and wouldn't go back to an OBS, but our steering/brake hydroboost systems SUCK. Just saying.....

All of our OBS trucks at work steer much nicer....now the brakes, especially the drums, leave a lot to be desired.

Reactions: longjonsilver

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Agreed having both a super duty and a obs .
The Ford power steering pump I believe is the weak link , it can’t provide the needed volume to provide the assist with braking as well as steering . Your mileage may vary .

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #934 ·
I like hydroboost
We have superduties here stepsons both drive 7.3 superduties, and my old shop truck was a 01 V10.
I have the excursion she has hydroboost.
Power steering pumps can be upgraded if need be.

The brakes on the OBS are good but they can be better!
Thanks for the input fella's, before I turn a wrench I will research all of my options......even if it is on "other" power stroke forums...I happen to be partial to this forum :)

·
Native Californian
559 Posts
Agreed having both a super duty and a obs .
The Ford power steering pump I believe is the weak link , it can’t provide the needed volume to provide the assist with braking as well as steering . Your mileage may vary .

Yeah I plan on a upgrade next month with either hydraulic assist or an upgraded pump and box. I LOVE my SD, but the steering setup is less than desireable.

921 - 940 of 974 Posts