Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

661 - 680 of 955 Posts

·
Steel mill smoker
151 Posts
Man look at that freshly paved driveway..lol.ohh trucks looking great to!now get to work on that sick.oh

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #662
Gotta sell the 6.0 as is.... plans have changed. We went to Idaho to look around and ended up buying a 23 acre riverfront ranch
We have 90-120 days to pack up and sell our house!!!!!!!!!

We have found heaven outside of Sandpoint Idaho

·
Native Texan
8,987 Posts
Gotta sell the 6.0 as is.... plans have changed. We went to Idaho to look around and ended up buying a 23 acre riverfront ranch

Well that awful sudden poor flippy wont get her day.

But glad to here you found a place.

Man ur going to be working ur butt off for the next several months.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #664 (Edited)
well if we don't get our price I will drag that SOB across 3 states
Northern Idaho is "prepper" country. You guys have never seen so many OBS trucks..... I am not kidding when I tell you every 3-4 truck is a OBS Ford. Likely because they are pre emisssions diesels and affordable...but it was just another sign we belong there.

We plan to get settled up there and eventually open a custom truck and off road recovery shop in Sandpoint.
3 families are moving now, with two sets of grandparents coming up shortly after.
I will own part of the Pac river, we have a private riverfront ranch I can float to the store!! I can ATV into the woods, the shop at the new house is huge (big enough for a two 4 posts lifts and a small RV) we have 20+ acres of fertile river valley ranch land with Cherry trees, cedars, maple, berries and all the wildlife that goes along with it.
No more gun laws
No more emissions
No more traffic
No more HOA and fights for water rights
No more coal power plants
No more power bills (place is completely off grid)
No more mortgage (we are paying cash)
and the best part is my son and my two grandkids will all be going to the same school.

I have found heaven and we will be there in 90 days!!

·
Native Texan
8,987 Posts
well if we don't get our price I will drag that SOB across 3 states
Northern Idaho is "prepper" country. You guys have never seen so many OBS trucks..... I am not kidding when I tell you every 3-4 truck is a OBS Ford. Likely because they are pre emisssions diesels and affordable...but it was just another sign we belong there.

We plan to get settled up there and eventually open a custom truck and off road recovery shop in Sandpoint.
3 families are moving now, with two sets of grandparents coming up shortly after.
I will own part of the Pac river, we have a private riverfront ranch I can float to the store!! I can ATV into the woods, the shop at the new house is huge (big enough for a two 4 posts lifts and a small RV) we have 20+ acres of fertile river valley ranch land with Cherry trees, cedars, maple, berries and all the wildlife that goes along with it.
No more gun laws
No more emissions
No more traffic
No more HOA and fights for water rights
No more power bills (place is completely off grid)
No more mortgage (we are paying cash)
and the best part is my son and my two grandkids will all be going to the same school.

I have found heaven and we will be there in 90 days!!
Man u need some company up there sounds like a nice piece of land. I was looking at the area up there on google looks like its going to be great for ya. I dont think I could ever live someplace like CO with all their restrictions.
So u will be off grid just not offline i hope we need u on the forum here.
Well hunker down and let the packing begin.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Awsome man. Welcome to Idaho! Great job on the truck. I enjoyed reading this thread. I wish you weren't so far north.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #667
We have high speed internet and 4 bars on Verizon at the new place...you guys can't get rid of me that easy!!
I bought a shop on the river in a valley with fertile ranch land with attached living quarters...the new shop has its own BATHROOM!!
I have a Onan diesel generator that will power any welding needs because we are completely off grid! (with a state of the art solar and propane generator system)

its a fire sale here in Colorado... I have 30 tires to dispose of, 15 to sell as singles, 55 gallons of used oil and at least 4 crush trucks.........gonna finish remodel the kitchen too....here we go
We were sold on Sandpoint / Bonners Ferry area the minute we got there

·
Native Californian
353 Posts
Congrats! Man you are right. The 4 weeks we were in Montana was nothing but CCLB OBS F-350s everywhere I turned . I couldn't believe how many there were. I thought "so this is where they all are" LOL

Does the 6.0 run yet?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #671
6.0 for sale
Yes the OBS trucks are hiding up there, even the two local crush yards had several out for parts that were not stripped down to the bone!
I found home

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #672
I have been using my 1997 for towing, pretty much daily
I have hauled countless trailers full of metal, tires, auto glass, debris, lumber, tools, etc all out of here so we can stage this house. Also we sold our camping property (in 3 days!) so I had to run back and forth a few times including hauling our 30' bumper pull camper home in the middle of the night.
The 97 is awesome now, mountain passes with a full load in 4th gear EGT's I have never seen higher then 1300 for short bursts (passing) it usually climbs to 1200-1250 and sits there with the 6.0 cooler.
With the 35" tires my RPM at 70 mph are now 2100!!! Very nice...passing at 75-80 mph is now possible without hitting redline
It handles the dirt and washboard roads very very well, this truck is right at home with the RSK and 35" toyo's

I did notice a loss of coolant? After a two weeks of heavy towing it was down about 4-6 cups of coolant? I have heard 7.3's will burn some up. I have noticed a small amount from the waterpump weep hole from time to time also (When sitting after cool down?)
Also it uses 1.5 quarts of oil when towing about every 2 weeks. No big deal, just noticing. I am wondering if my #7 injector cup has an issue...after this move I may pull them again to have a look see.
Valve cover corner is leaking just a bit, small half dollar sized puddles of oil (two of them) and one small spot of oil/fuel mix on the ground after heavy use...valley is dry, O rings and seals all holding. Valve covers are bent slighty from previous over torqueing so I need new ones. My up pipes are leaking, the pass side leaks pretty good (audible) but I am not spending $450+ for bellowed pipes because I will just go straight to superduty turbo (or T4) and handle the leaky pipes then. I am still hitting well over 20 psi of boost when towing very quickly, so these leaks can stay until after our move.

Very very very happy with this truck, its passing every test! I picked up a matching toyo tire to become my spare...gotta find a 8 lug 17" wheel and then maybe find a spot for it under the flatbed or on a roof basket??
Looks like I finished the intercooler upgrade just in time! This truck is getting USED!! I cannot wait to do E fuel and a Hpop on my new pride and joy, I love this OBS!!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I did notice a loss of coolant? After a two weeks of heavy towing it was down about 4-6 cups of coolant? I have heard 7.3's will burn some up. I have noticed a small amount from the waterpump weep hole from time to time also (When sitting after cool down?)
What idiot said that? Bill Hewitt?
Mine doesn't use a drop.
If you're seeing any from the water pump weep hole period, that means the seal is going.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #674
water pump is new OEM 2000 miles on it?
coolant appears from weep hole (dime-quarter size amount) after truck sits in shop overnight only once in a blue moon. I ewent searching and somewhere I read its noraml = reason for a weep hole
I believe you, no reason not to just stating what I read
Starting to smoke a bit more on cold start now and haze when pulling, I suspect I have a O ring issue or coolant cup issue leading to O ring issue on #7 again...
no biggie! If thats the worst this 7.3's got is needs new cup(s) and some up pipe leaks I say I am coming out ahead! 206 almost 207K miles now

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Remember the golden rule. New doesn't = good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm happy your enjoying your truck. They really are fun when you can start using them and not need to work on them constantly.

The up pipe leaks are something I would definitely fix. Its amazing how big a difference pre turbo exhaust leaks can affect egts and overall performance. When I finally sealed up my up pipes i could feel, see, and hear the difference immediately. With your fab skills you should just order some bellows and make your own bellowed up pipes.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #677
bingo, thanks!
The dorman SD pipes are like $90 and decent fit and quality
I am leaning towards T4 mount at the moment
Coolant loss (weep hole is not responsible for 3-4 cups MIA), stuck glow plug, excessive blowby, engine was "rebuilt" (3 pistons replaced) just a short time ago...207K miles now low miles but this thing was obviously abused

I am leaning towards getting a longblock 7.3 and fabbing up the turbo/pipes/manifolds outside the engine bay and then swap and do E fuel at the same time
I'm kinda cheap so I may end up using Superduty parts and upgrading/rebuilding the turbo myself........unless I save up for the T4
It drives me crazy to listen to exhaust/up pipe leaks the whole time Im using my truck...from the drivers seat its real obvious of course...outside the truck all you hear is monster 7.3 and turbo LOL I know because I let my wife use it last week and watched her drive away

Im tearing up a kitchen floor right now so will have to just keep using this thing for a minute, she will have her day in the shop! I may be able to look at up pipe this weekend I am planning a couple of oil changes.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I forgot about your stuck glow plug. If it were me I wouldn't worry about it. I definitely wouldnt pull the head and go through all that trouble just for 1 glow plug. I think you already decided to leave it but just thought I would share my opinion.

The t4 turbos are awsome. I probably wouldnt bother switching to the sd turbo. Its basically the same turbo you have but has a waste gate. I highly recommend the t4 route.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #680
very interesting info guys, I will keep an eye on things
yes I decided long ago to not mess with the GP, this 7.3 has never had an issue with cold starts. The GP system is working great on the other 7 holes.
I have been watching and listening for years with this stuff, learning as I go. This is how I end up with 3ea 7.3's the 4 door OBS, the Excursion and the Van... when people always said "I had one of those trucks, I never should have gotten rid of it, it was the best truck I ever had" I was listening
So now when it comes to what turbo to run, what mods to do, what the future holds for this beast, I am listening :) For now I am super stoked just to be able to use this 97 the power it has and the way it handles the road and the trailers....very happy! I have been getting asked about the truck lately from other OBS owners...intercooler and RSK are the big topics...now maybe they are listening too :)

661 - 680 of 955 Posts