Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 05 6.0 and had a few questions. I am new here and dont really know anyone yet. The questions i had were i bought the truck before i knew about the oasis reports. I called today and the service guy told me that it had the following things done to it.

1. 1200 miles electric fan clutch
2. 81000 ICP sensor
3. 85000 EGR cooler was replaced
4. 87000 VGT solenoid
5. 92000 injector driver module

I bought the truck with 100,000 on it and it idles fine and runs out fine. I guess what i am asking is are these things that i should worry about i plan to leave it stock with only doing exhaust. What are some of your opinions. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
First thing a noticed is a 6.0 does not have a IDM, but it has a FICM. That is probably what they meant...

Those things can be fairly common, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It almost looks like it developed an issue at 80k and they just threw parts at it until it was fixed. Just be prepared if anything does go wrong. Maybe delete the EGR just to be safe, because that will fail again, it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks 06powerstroke this is my first diesel truck and i just want to make sure everything is ok eventhough i am preparing now for whats to come. As far as the exhaust goes is that a good idea on a stock motor or will it be money wasted and is the egr delete a must.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Exhaust is a great idea, get a turbo back. 4 inch if you enjoy the whistle and a 5 inch if you want a more throaty sound. None of those repairs look too serious.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The exhaust won't make any noticeable difference in power, but IMO it's worth it just for the sound! The 6.0 sounds amazing. Mine is strait piped, BTW...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys yall have a been a big help. i just like for my mind to be at ease i was already nervous buying this truck with the 6.0 but the guy took great care of it and i couldnt beat the price. My buddy has a 05 with 130,000 on it and has never had to turn a bolt on it. But i know you cant base one truck off of another.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Thanks guys yall have a been a big help. i just like for my mind to be at ease i was already nervous buying this truck with the 6.0 but the guy took great care of it and i couldnt beat the price. My buddy has a 05 with 130,000 on it and has never had to turn a bolt on it. But i know you cant base one truck off of another.
All the 6.0's I have been around seem fairly reliable. Mine had a new turbo at 36k, my dad's needed a fan clutch and an IPR at 25k, and my buddies needed a EGR cooler and a IPR at 65k. Like I said your parts are fairly common for a 6.0, but they are not nearly as bad as some people make them sound...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard that before samW that alot of the problems that people have are driver related. If there is anything else i should know please let me know or point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more question is a rough idle common when these things are cold. It only does it for a few seconds and then runs like a top. My buddies 05 does the samething and he said it was normal.

I dont plan on doing any tuning just exhaust and drive it unless there is other stuff that needs to be done. Sorry for all the questions just want to get all my ducks in a row.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
One more question is a rough idle common when these things are cold. It only does it for a few seconds and then runs like a top. My buddies 05 does the samething and he said it was normal.

I dont plan on doing any tuning just exhaust and drive it unless there is other stuff that needs to be done. Sorry for all the questions just want to get all my ducks in a row.
How cold of a start? Does it smoke at all?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

mine does it to but it has to be super cold out side like durring the winter and its only when i dont cycle the glow plugs enough before starting. Like if its super cold and i forget to plug mine in and just jump in it and start it then yes it will run rough a few seconds then level out but if i cycle the key on and wait a few seconds and then turn it off and do that 2 or 3 times then no it wont and if i plug it in at night when its real cold out then it fires up just like normal

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It doesnt smoke( i have yet to get any smoke out of it even getting down on it ) just rough idle for a few seconds i live in mississippi and i have only had the truck about a week and the coldest i have cranked it in was about 45degrees.

Not to keep bothering all of you but i noticed today that when i am running in between 50 and 60 mph there is a vibration that i feel in the steering wheel and the pedal when i let off the accelerator it goes away i thought maybe a ujoint or something like that, any advice will be appreciated. I am not real up to date on the common things with these trucks that is why i am asking all these questions.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It doesnt smoke( i have yet to get any smoke out of it even getting down on it ) just rough idle for a few seconds i live in mississippi and i have only had the truck about a week and the coldest i have cranked it in was about 45degrees.

Not to keep bothering all of you but i noticed today that when i am running in between 50 and 60 mph there is a vibration that i feel in the steering wheel and the pedal when i let off the accelerator it goes away i thought maybe a ujoint or something like that, any advice will be appreciated. I am not real up to date on the common things with these trucks that is why i am asking all these questions.
Are you waiting for the WTS light to go out?

And the steering wheel shake is a common 4wd issue, you kinda just learn to live with it. You ca check the tire balance and rotate them, that my help with the shaking.

·
Registered
572 Posts
keep that leather clean!
much easier when I get to it every month
takes forever if you let it go...

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
I have heard that before samW that alot of the problems that people have are driver related. If there is anything else i should know please let me know or point me in the right direction.
If the EGR cooler was replaced without replacing/rebuilding the oil cooler, I would plan on an oil cooler job (or at least get gauges that monitored ECT and EOT - coolant and oil temps).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am waiting for the light to go out i have tried cycling the plugs twice and no differance. Does that rev-x stuff work pretty good for that. What is the ficm flash i keep hearing about.

I have had plenty of 4wd gassers and this is a odd vibration that i cant seem to figure out. I am going to check the u joints and carrier bearing to rule them out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts