Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm brand new to the forum and the diesel world. I just bought an 05 f250 with 151,000 miles on it. I did some research before the buy and checked the truck over, but I didn't do good enough. I have so far replaced the FICM and batteries. No big deal. The issue I have come across is that I am getting fuel in my coolant. From what I understand its cracked head(s). I also am getting a 70 degree difference from my eot and ect. With all that said, I made the car lot give me cash to buy the parts to repair this truck, I will do the labor. So I ordered two new cylinder heads, arp head stud kit, oil cooler and egr delete, stand pipe and dummy plug kit and all filters and fluids associated with the job. After all this should the truck be good for another 150,000? And is there anything else I need to do while im doing the rest of the work? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Stc fitting, thermostat and change the coolant to elc. Get a coolant filter system
Should be ok sounds like you taking care of the major issues

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
flush the cooling system really really well before even tearing the truck down. i use dawn dish soap when i flush systems that have had oil or fuel in them. remove the thermostat from the aluminum housing as well so that you can get maximum flow without having to heat the truck up each time you drain it. pull the block drain on the drivers side for sure...and passenger side if you can get to it without pulling the starter. i would flush it atleast 5-6....15-20 minutes run time on each drain.

you'll also want to replace ALL the hoses....diesel will cause them to swell up really bad and can cause leaks once it's all back together. might want to get the radiator checked out as well.

·
Registered
421 Posts
change the coolant to elc. Get a coolant filter system
flush the cooling system really really well before even tearing the truck down.
+1, and +1, big time.

Since it sounds like your oil cooler is completely clogged (as mine was), you may want to back flush the oil cooler / EGR leg of the cooling system after you change the oil cooler (in addition to doing the extensive pre-disassembly flush).

As far as flushing procedures, I think this guy has the best one on the internet:

6.0 Liter Ford Powerstroke - Flushing the Cooling System

Don't forget to add a coolant filter.

Good luck!

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
Okay thanks for the info. Any tips on pulling the cab?
use plastic plugs to cap off all power steering lines, brake lines, any thing that will leak. keeps everything much cleaner!

depending on your cab config you might need to remove the rear seat and pull the carpet up to access the middle bolts on a crew cab. the e-brake cable can be a pain sometimes as well, pull straight down on the cable and use a pair of vice grips to hold the cable to where it has slack in it. makes it much easier to get apart. when its apart release the cable slowly.

dont forget the ground wire hooked to the back of the engine that runs up to the passenger side of the firewall, also the one on the passenger side basically under the front passengers feet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts