Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone Im new to diesels and do know a thing about them I got a diesel cause they are they way to go if your pulling or just for play and hauling anyways I dont know a damn thing I dont even know what the glow plugs are haha. So Im wanting to know the info on what to do and what not to do anything from how to start it how to use 4x4 lol yes I said that but Im a mustang guy so Im going to ask some questions and anything that you thing I should know about them let me know please...Im new to this so here I go I noticed my heater didnt work and I read that it maybe low on coolant so I added more and nothing yet, then what is 4lo and 4hi and what do the lockers do and when do you use them how long do I wait to start it and what do I do in the morning starts cause it gets cold in Bakersfield. And when Im pulling a trailers is there anything I need to switch on or use or do so those are my ?s so lease let me know other things I need to know also I almost forgot I have a lite on in my cluster it has 8 dots and a line on top and one on bottom with an arrow to the right side of it what is it and should it be on or is there something wrong I hear its a engine filter light ? ....thanks and please dont reply with rude comments Im new at this

·
your mom
211 Posts
info on the truck . :popcorn:

·
Strokin since '94
474 Posts
The light in the cluster is your AirFilter light, you need to replace your air filter REALLY soon-70ish bucks at a local parts store. Do that as soon as possible to save from future headaches

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah sorry its a 6.0 2004 f250 lariat 4x4 cclb , Thanks PPE'dPowerStroke for the info My friend told me that it was some kind of filter so know that I know for sure Im going to take care of that where is it located

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do I flush the coolant I heard the gold crap sucks and that I need cat ec_1 elc coolant and should i relace my egr cooler and oil cooler to or just the coolant

·
Registered
115 Posts
how many miles on truck and whats been done to it? also i use my block heater when it starts gettin in the 20's so i dont have a long warm up time. the cord should be in the front bumper on the passenger side may have to look pretty hard, but just plug a drop cord into it. and if you dont need the egr cooler for emissions i would delete it otherwise block it off or go with a bulletproof.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I think I might just go with the Afe or just clean my K&n. Ive been looking at the Bulletproof stuff and they are bad ass cant wait to buy some stuff from them like the egr cooler and the oil cooler since I cant have the delete cause Im in Cali. So If it gets around 30s I might not need the block heater?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its got 180k miles and I dont think it had much, Is it normal for it to make a weird noise after I turn it of or is that the turbo cooler or timer or what ever haha

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also say Im pulling a trailer to the coast do I use overdrive or do I just leave it on drive and also when I get to the beach on the sand should I use for 4low or 4hi...I heard that before you turn off the truck I should wait to let the turbos cool is that true.

·
Strokin since '94
474 Posts
The heater will look like a plug that goes into a reg home electrical outlet, I couldn't find mine until i took the front bumper off it was all bundled up still from stock. Get rid of the K&N filter, they're crap on a diesel. Depending on how heavy the trailer is should you turn off the OD, I traveled 1,000 miles with a 32ft bumper pull with my overdrive on, mine had enough power, gear ratio and mine never down shifted going up hills and such. As far as driving on the sand I'm not sure, I'd personally never take any of my vehicles on sand, too many small places for the sand to get into. I usually let my trucks sit 20-30 seconds before shut down, just really depends on how hard you drive. I drive the piss out of mine. Hope this helps

·
Strokin since '94
474 Posts
5150lariat- isn't "5150" code for being psychotic or something LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Ill keep looking for the plug I know I see it pluged in to the block but can't chase it down. Im going to ditch the K&n and go with a Afe is that a little better. So the od is always on right? so If I'm pulling a trailer it should be pushed in? and yes its a police code for psycho haha im not to crazy but I am a little of a risk taker.

·
Strokin since '94
474 Posts
Yes the OD is always on unless you push the button on the gear shifter onthe steering column to turn it off. The only way to tell if you really need to turn the OD off is to leave it on when pulling the trailer, if your truck is down shifting alot going up hill or at anytime then you want to push the button to turn it off. I have an 04 also, If I'm remembering right I think it will say tow mode on the gauge cluster when you have the OD off

1 - 20 of 29 Posts