Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in talking to different vendors they all want to sell you on there stuff.Glad I found this site ..Figure I will get it rite if i ask people that have already done it.I have a 2002 X with a 7.3 that is used to pull a 26 ft.toy box with the familys toys.Thinking of 4 "mbrp, edge evolution, & s&b air intake .Would that be a good way to start off.

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
I would go MBRP, Dp tuner, your could do the S&B as it is a great filter but you can also do a cheap intake that works great called a 6637 intake. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like.
Riffraff Diesel: RDP 6637 Filter Kit

Same setup I have on my excursion and it rocks. You also might want to look in to gauges so you can keep track of everything going on. The most popular 3 are Exhaust temp, Boost, and Trans temp. How much does your trailer weigh full loaded?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.weight is any were from 10 to 11k. Do you know of a link for the DP tuner.I am in Carson Ca. is there a shop any of you would recomend?

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
You can get the Dp tuner threw Clay at Riffraff Diesel performance along with your Exhaust and intake. If you want to it's not that hard to tackle your self. Exhaust takes about 2-3 hours, chip 30-45 mins and intake about an hour.
Riffraff Diesel: DP Tuner F5 Chip Module
but I would suggest giving him a call so he can answer all your questions. :D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I wouldn't do a full exhaust kit on a Excursion unless you like drone, dp and a cat delite..ok

Get a TS based chip with custom tunes this way your free to try tunes from the best 7.3 tuners unlike getting locked into just 1 tuner.

Best intake at any price is a Tymar, Its a complete kit that will come with a Donaldson filter, battery box and a filter clamp-stand etc. to allow proper radial air clearance. If you don't want too hear the turbo a AIS.

Cary

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
We have had the best luck with Magnaflow and MBRP on the Excursions. Magnaflow tends to be a little quieter than MBRP, but both are nice systems. I have ran each one on 2 different Excursions and ended up sticking with Magnaflow.

As far as the intake goes, S&B is my favorite and our top seller by far. It is a very well built system and replaces the entire air box and battery tray. It cant be compared with a filter on a stick.

Feel free to give me a call if I can help with any questions or if youd like a quote on a package deal.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I wouldn't do a full exhaust kit on a Excursion unless you like drone, dp and a cat delite..ok

Get a TS based chip with custom tunes this way your free to try tunes from the best 7.3 tuners unlike getting locked into just 1 tuner.

Best intake at any price is a Tymar, Its a complete kit that will come with a Donaldson filter, battery box and a filter clamp-stand etc. to allow proper radial air clearance. If you don't want too hear the turbo a AIS.

Cary

No drone issues with my wifes excursion and her daimond eye exhaust. Works great...

Otherwise I agree, TS type chip, intake and exhaust.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Any local shops I can pick up the goods in person?

The man that posted above me... Call him up.

Done busness with him several times...:D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm also wanting to get an exhaust system for a excursion but this one is a 2005 6 leaker. I'm wanting to get a system that is pretty quiet inside but some what noticeable outside. Would cutting the cat out make any difference at all.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Unless you live in a state like Calif you can get away with deleting any of the emissions crap. On a 6.0 I know I would be saying bye bye to the egr and cooler ASAP and if you are putting any power adders I would get head studs ASAP as well. If you are comparing to stock going to any one of the aftermarket exhaust systems here will give you a upgrade is sound outside the vehicle.

·
Banned
544 Posts
We have had the best luck with Magnaflow and MBRP on the Excursions. Magnaflow tends to be a little quieter than MBRP, but both are nice systems. I have ran each one on 2 different Excursions and ended up sticking with Magnaflow.
Nate what other Excursion did you have I only recall the black one.

Any way I never had the MBRP kit but I did have the Magnaflow on my Red one and it was nice. It was very quite and still looked nice after a year on mine. Now on my new one I have it strigh piped and it sucks. Dont go straigh pip unless you really want to hear the darn thing all the time. As far as the intake goes I have always had an AFE stage on both of mine and loved them. I am sure that anyone of the vendors can come up with a good deal for you on a setup. I the only tuner I have used has been David Lott @ DI and he has always taken care of me. SO good luck with it. Please do the gauges becasue with more power you will want to know what is going on and maybe you can stop before you go to far.

Brent

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Sound advice.

·
Banned
544 Posts
Sound advice.
It takes a few hard hits in the head to see it some times what is best for you but I dont need to have my brains hanging out my skull to see it somethings......

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
SO true but on the net you never need to worry as there will alwasy be someone all to happy to swing the hammer to crack you open whether you need it or not.LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts