Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back to having a high pitch wine noise coming from the hpop. None tuned, I had this noise before I replaced the injectors and hpop. All this noise happens on cold start up only. New 10-30 sd oil, 23-40% ipr on start up then done to 13% ipr. The rpms tend to run up to 1200 rpms for 45 sec.

The noise is not from the power steering pump. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to check that with a good mechanical gauge. What should I have when cold on start up? I do not have any noise when warm. I did a hard run up to 3300 rpms and watched the readings. 44% ipr at 2900 psi. Is this good.

Truck is in sig.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I'm just wondering if your LPOP isn't supplying enough oil. But IMO, it would be worse when warm. How many miles on the injectors?

When you installed the pump, did you leave the gear in the timing cover, or did you take it out? Curious if you flipped it over at all.

Oh, DC and pressures look good.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same noise in the old pump I sent you. That was the original pump on this truck. The wine did go away on the old pump just be for I started having problems starting it . I got your pump no noise to it on start up. Then later down the road it started making the same noise. The only thing I can think of is that the pump is running full out on start up. It will run up to 1100 rpms right off cold start for 30-45 sec. The injectors have made 5000 miles on them and are hybrid 200/30 rosewoods. I can record the sound but I do not know how to post it. It is so loud that you can hear it a block away.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump. Any one have this noise.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I had the same noise in the old pump I sent you. That was the original pump on this truck. The wine did go away on the old pump just be for I started having problems starting it . I got your pump no noise to it on start up. Then later down the road it started making the same noise. The only thing I can think of is that the pump is running full out on start up. It will run up to 1100 rpms right off cold start for 30-45 sec. The injectors have made 5000 miles on them and are hybrid 200/30 rosewoods. I can record the sound but I do not know how to post it. It is so loud that you can hear it a block away.
Do you have access to a scan tool? Try monitoring ICP at start up. If the pump is running full output, then you will see 4000psi at idle. That would be your IPR stuck closed. The wine could be your emergency blow off valve purging off all the pressure. :eek:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have checked once before I had 35% ipr at 800 psi on start up cold. I have not checked this week, I will be home tomorrow so I will check my lpop and see if my reads are the same on all fronts.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
16% ipr at 670 psi on start up warm, then down to 13% ipr at 520 psi, oil temp at 120°f. Wot is at 44% ipr at 2900 psi.
Lucky today I have not started it, it is -20°f and I know I would hear the pump a block away. I have it in the shop and am going to test the lpop at the oil pressure sensor.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have some more data to add. Did a low pressure oil pump test, this is at -5°f on start up. 30 sec was 13 psi, full run 42 psi. I have no information on if this is good.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Every 7.3 I have seen makes a slight whine that cold.
Once warm goes away.
Same with mine stock, adrenaline, but not the twins.
I also switched to full syn same time.
Before and after Melling.
Im talking 0 and below tho.
Btw u should be using syn 5w40 in the winter.
Best for most. Not everyone.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just saw your pressure readings.
You need some work.
May be one of many things.
The colder you are the higher your psi should be.
I see 60+ on cold start.
Before and after Melling.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Inj Orings, Hpop, the list goes on.
Any seal that sees HPO needs checked.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So at idle is should have 60 psi. I did shut off before the gauge stopped moving. I have new terminator engineering hpop with 2000 miles, 200/30 hybrid rosewood injectors same miles, ipr at is new, new icp sensor. Does anyone else have any lpop readings?
Would a new lpop help at all with 320, 000 miles on the engine?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So at idle is should have 60 psi. I did shut off before the gauge stopped moving. I have new terminator engineering hpop with 2000 miles, 200/30 hybrid rosewood injectors same miles, ipr at is new, new icp sensor. Does anyone else have any lpop readings?
Would a new lpop help at all with 320, 000 miles on the engine?
It wouldn't hurt to change it that's for sure. I think you can get a mellings for a good price.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I need to know what I should have before I invest in a lpop. Any readings for lpop would help.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help. I will not worry about it. I still might look into one this summer. The average morning temp here has been -20°f.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts