Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Who all gets to order these and will a TS burner burn them?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
No links yet.
It's by invitation only, I've heard.
;)

8 positons, cheaper than TS, it doesn't have to come out to burn to it, and you can use any tunes, they don't have to be DP Tuner tunes.
I'm excited...

PC's drop in cost and get faster every year, yet we've been paying the same price for a stupid TS chip for how long now?

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
, yet we've been paying the same price for a stupid TS chip for how long now?
im sorry jim, but this comment bothers me. that chip has been the lifeblood of tuning up until a couple years ago. it revolutionized tuning ability for EVERY reputable vendor in the powerstroke industry. it was the first standardized tuning medium and lasted. if anything, all tuners are thanking that chip for their livelyhood, because it is where they all came from. evolution and technology is inevitable and a good thing, but calling the TS chip stupid, is a bit much.

as for "paying the same price for this long now?" isnt that a good thing? no price increases over how much inflation?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Wow, you took that the wrong way.
Yes, it's just a 'stupid' little chip to me. I'm no computer guy but I know where to find a processor on a mother board and I've even installed my own RAM before and have seen the changes in both these over the years. But I wonder why one little item like the TS chip's only advancement in 10 years plus is to go from one tune to 6 and the price never go down.
My cheap $400 laptop I have now is probably 20 times more powerful than the desktop I bought 10 years ago and costs 1/3 as much. I can buy a notebook COMPUTER for as much as what that little chip costs.

No disrespect to TS, or tuners, or anyone like that. I doubt any of them actually make their own chips or are part of the world wide chip R&D or whomever makes those advances every 18 months.

Now the F8 comes out and is a whole new design/product that blows away the TS chip. Finally some type of advanecment is made! It's obviously a huge step forward as small as the chip is and as small as the burner is.

I guess that's my point.
I'm sorry if you feel that the TS chip market should not move ahead like all other computing hardware in the world, and TS should stick with 6 positions and increase the price of their chips.
:shrug:

·
Sponsor
934 Posts
Jim, I just want to throw this thought out to you.

First off Dennis and Sheila make their living doing diesel stuff. They have things on the market that shift and move to adapt to the newer diesels coming out, and not just for the Fords.

From a purely business standpoint, how would it make any sense at all for them to put any more R and D into a dead platform, one that has been dead for 7 years to boot?

I would be willing to bet that if Dennis would have known 8 or 9 years ago that the chip business would still be as strong today as it is, then things would have been different in the development of them.

I don't blame him, do I like the sound of the new DP chip? Yea, sounds great, kudo's to DP for pushing ahead.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Exactly, Tony, I hear ya.

From a purely business standpoint, how would it make any sense at all for them to put any more R and D into a dead platform, one that has been dead for 7 years to boot?
...But DP Tuner did...
And from what I'm told, the chip will work with any EEC (or whatever it's called) Ford, so it doesn't really sound like a 'dead' platform to me. Maybe dead you mean no longer in production, but sounds like there are lots of applications, not just '94 - '03 PSD trucks...

I'm not trying to bash Dennis, TS products, or ANYONE. The TS chip is just a piece of computer hardware to me that's outdated.
That's all....

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
im sorry jim, but this comment bothers me. that chip has been the lifeblood of tuning up until a couple years ago. it revolutionized tuning ability for EVERY reputable vendor in the powerstroke industry. it was the first standardized tuning medium and lasted. if anything, all tuners are thanking that chip for their livelyhood, because it is where they all came from. evolution and technology is inevitable and a good thing, but calling the TS chip stupid, is a bit much.

as for "paying the same price for this long now?" isnt that a good thing? no price increases over how much inflation?
Wow, you took that the wrong way.
Yes, it's just a 'stupid' little chip to me. I'm no computer guy but I know where to find a processor on a mother board and I've even installed my own RAM before and have seen the changes in both these over the years. But I wonder why one little item like the TS chip's only advancement in 10 years plus is to go from one tune to 6 and the price never go down.
My cheap $400 laptop I have now is probably 20 times more powerful than the desktop I bought 10 years ago and costs 1/3 as much. I can buy a notebook COMPUTER for as much as what that little chip costs.

No disrespect to TS, or tuners, or anyone like that. I doubt any of them actually make their own chips or are part of the world wide chip R&D or whomever makes those advances every 18 months.

Now the F8 comes out and is a whole new design/product that blows away the TS chip. Finally some type of advanecment is made! It's obviously a huge step forward as small as the chip is and as small as the burner is.

I guess that's my point.
I'm sorry if you feel that the TS chip market should not move ahead like all other computing hardware in the world, and TS should stick with 6 positions and increase the price of their chips.
:shrug:

The F5 has been on the market for over 4 years now. We have been contacted numerous times over the course of 4 years and it has been asked here in the forums why we won't share our technology and let other tuners or companies use the tunes they want on the chip. This is the only reason we have had a new chip made. The F5 and F6 are exclusively designed and manufactured for DP-Tuner. We have had the F8 designed for everyone to be able to use it. It was done this way to keep a separation of signature products from one company to the other in the industry. Many want exclusivity to what they sell. The F8 and Destiny was developed to give the industry flexibility in technology. The EEC market is continuing to except new technology. This EEC chip market involves not only diesel, but gas engines all the way back to 1988 with the EEC OS.

To be fair to TS, Jim. Having products manufactured for us I can't guarantee that I won't ever get a phone call one day saying that parts doubled or tripled in price. Every company has to make those decisions one day or another.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
...But DP Tuner did...
And from what I'm told, the chip will work with any EEC (or whatever it's called) Ford, so it doesn't really sound like a 'dead' platform to me. Maybe dead you mean no longer in production, but sounds like there are lots of applications, not just '94 - '03 PSD trucks...

I'm not trying to bash Dennis, TS products, or ANYONE. The TS chip is just a piece of computer hardware to me that's outdated.
That's all....
Agreed. I think with the smog laws in Cali and probably headed across the Nation, the 7.3 is not quite dead yet.

Diane, will the F8 be CARB approved, like the F5 and F6?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Agreed. I think with the smog laws in Cali and probably headed across the Nation, the 7.3 is not quite dead yet.

Diane, will the F8 be CARB approved, like the F5 and F6?

Don't see how that is possible unless each company has their tunes put on the CARB list. It will be up to them if they want to do that or not. We won't be seeking this for the F8 or Destiny due to allowing others tuners put their tunes on it. We are having the F5 and F6 done because they're signature products of our company.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts