Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my remaned gear from a well recommended company. The gear that I removed had some play and when the gear was out of the truck I could turn the input side by hand and get the pitman arm to turn. The new gear could not be turned by hand. I put the new gear in and the truck will center 95%. It is only tight in the last little bit before the wheels go straight. If I clock the wheels and let go, the wheel will straighten 95%. I emailed the builder and I am waiting to hear, but I am curious if anyone knows if this will break in or if it is too tight?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts guys? I am not nuts about the lack of full return. I spoke with the builder and he said that it should not return 100%. But going around corners now I notice that I am putting in effort to return back to straight that I never remember having to do. The truck is certainly driveable, but it is not perfect in my eyes. For example if going straight down the highway, if I turn the wheel a little left or right, it will stay there and drift. It will not go back to straight unless I put it there.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
That don't sound right to me either.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if he tightened the box too much and I can back it off a bit. I will email him and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It should return all the way to center. If it was your old one though and someone rebuilt it for you then maybe he didn't use all the parts int he kit or something. I don't know. It should have passed the torque test on the bench though. It doesn't sound like it does.

Not returning to center could be your toe setting too. You need about 1/16 to 1/8 inch positive if you check it with a tape measure.
It could very well be your caster too. You might not have noticed it at all when the box was loose.
Caster is what controls the wheel returning to center the most. Is your truck lifted or anything? do the wheels look right?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truck looks fine and drove perfect, except for some play, before the new box. The old box could be turned by hand, this one could not. When I say by hand, I mean no tools, just grab the input splines and turn and the pitman arm would turn. This is out of the truck of course.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 06 f350 does the exact same thing, but I have the stock steering box. The steering wheel returns to 95% and then I have to steer it straight from there.
I'm wondering if I should loosen the steering adjuster bolt 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have the original box?

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
In the quest to fix my newly acquired hard steering I changed boxes. I notice that it takes a little more effort to turn this one but it comes all the way back. And if you turn it a little like you were saying wile driving it does NOT stay there. It sounds a little tight.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I don't think it is right. It is not bad, but not perfect. Do you guys think it will break in or am I going to have to send this back?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
If he gives you permission I would just loosen it up a 1/4 turn or so. Just be sure that this will not void any warranties.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I just go back from a drive with my brother and he concedes that it is not in my head and that the gear is a little annoying. I am hoping to hear back from the builder and see if we will go the route of loosening it or if there is a break in period. But I do not remember ever having a break in on a steering gear.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Going to try and tighten mine tomarrow...

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
A little at a time or you will be hating your truck very soon..............

Right now its as loose as a $2 whore...:doh:

Driving thru vegas a few months ago in the rain was... not fun.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, the gear builder gave the ok to back of the nut by 1/4 turn. I will even start with an 1/8 and see what happens. But, the question now is, how? What is the procedure to back it off? There is the larger jam nut and then one other smaller nut in the center, correct. Do I back off the larger bottom nut and then loosen the center one 1/8 and then re-tighten the bottom?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Put a wrench on the lock nut allen key in the center, then break loose the locknut while holding the allen. Make your adjustment, then tighten the locknut while holding the center........fheww.

It would be smart to mark the center bolt before doing any work.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, I will mark the center bolt. I plan on backing it off just an 1/8th or so. It is pretty good, no play, but this mild centering problem irks me. I would like to shoot for perfection.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The pitman arm is keyed and will only go on in a couple of spots. The problem here is that the truck drives totally fine except that after a turn it will not center 100% on its own. I have to give some effort to recover back to center from a turn or the truck will continue with the slight turn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts