Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with all the opinions about propane use that I have read on this forumn and other places I decided to do some research on MPG with and without propane. 1. My MPG with propane from 11-28-07 thru 2-15-08 was 18.8 MPG this was over a distance of 7815 miles as shown by the odometer 305,935 to 313,750 2. My MPG without propane from 2-15-08 thru4-01-08 was 16.0 MPG this was over a distance of 4009 miles as shown by the odometer 313,750 to317,759 3. My MPG with propane to Gulf Shores AL with this truck and a 33' 5th wheel RV was 11.94 @ 72 MPH from Tennessee when on the interstate,within 10 MPH of posted limits on other roads. At fillup mileage was 592 miles which included about 90 miles of driving around Gulf Shores with the longest trip to the navel air museum and back. When I exited off of I-65 onto Gulf Shores Parkway the MPG gauge on the truck read 18.1 MPG by the time I went thru several traffic lights and other stop and go traffic and pulled into the State Park the MPG gauge read 17.4 the MPG gauge had returned to read 18.1 with the driving around Gulf Shores when I filled up for a difference of 6.16 between the actual MPG and shown MPG on the truck. With this truck the difference between actual and shown MPG will be the same from tank to tank as long as it is kept on the same setting with the DP tuner. 4. On the way home I got past Birmingham AL and turned off the propane reset the overhead MPG gauge and drove about 60 miles, at this point the gauge read 14.2 and then subtracting 6.16 would net 8.04 MPG. this 60 miles included 1 stop at rest area. At the 60 mile mark I turned propane back on, reset gauge and continued home which included 2 exits off I-59 to find diesel and a trip over Monteagle mtn. Once home the overhead read 17.7MPG and then subtracting 6.16 would net 11.54 MPG. 5. I used 14 gal. of propane one way @ $3.00 per gallon in My town equals $42.00 If you figure the cost per mile without propane with diesel at 3.95 per gal. you get 49.12 cents per mile on the trip to Gulf Shores @ 8.04 MPG. With propane used my cost per mile 42.41 cents per mile to Gulf Shores @ 11.54 MPG a difference of 6.71 cents per mile. The difference in propane cost between home and Gulf Shores was 50 cents per gallon or 1.4 cents per mile more. 6. As far as running the truck empty up and down the road I see that propane can cost or save about 1/2 cent per mile depending on propane cost. Even with a regulated fuel return in place the propane will still quieten the engine. And as far as reliability concerns I have been using propane for about 175,000 miles with no problems of any kind due to propane. FWIW mods to truck since 11-01-07 are 1 new ddp stage 1 injectors,2 DP tuner installed 1-07-08 3 ITP reg return approx 3-01-08

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry about the way this showed up I tried to # everything in order but thats not the way it turned out, I am not very good with a keyboard

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am running a superchips system that seems to be very adjustable. I have mine set to come on at 3 PSI and delivering 10%. This is all done with a laptop.
It is possible that better gains could be achieved but I am not sure.

·
Registered
445 Posts
so excuse me if I didn't understand it, but how many miles did you get out of the 14 gallons of propane

·
DILLIGAFF
5,946 Posts
with all the opinions about propane use that I have read on this forumn and other places I decided to do some research on MPG with and without propane.

1. My MPG with propane from 11-28-07 thru 2-15-08 was 18.8 MPG this was over a distance of 7815 miles as shown by the odometer 305,935 to 313,750

2. My MPG without propane from 2-15-08 thru4-01-08 was 16.0 MPG this was over a distance of 4009 miles as shown by the odometer 313,750 to317,759

3. My MPG with propane to Gulf Shores AL with this truck and a 33' 5th wheel RV was 11.94 @ 72 MPH from Tennessee when on the interstate,within 10 MPH of posted limits on other roads. At fillup mileage was 592 miles which included about 90 miles of driving around Gulf Shores with the longest trip to the navel air museum and back. When I exited off of I-65 onto Gulf Shores Parkway the MPG gauge on the truck read 18.1 MPG by the time I went thru several traffic lights and other stop and go traffic and pulled into the State Park the MPG gauge read 17.4 the MPG gauge had returned to read 18.1 with the driving around Gulf Shores when I filled up for a difference of 6.16 between the actual MPG and shown MPG on the truck. With this truck the difference between actual and shown MPG will be the same from tank to tank as long as it is kept on the same setting with the DP tuner.

4. On the way home I got past Birmingham AL and turned off the propane reset the overhead MPG gauge and drove about 60 miles, at this point the gauge read 14.2 and then subtracting 6.16 would net 8.04 MPG. this 60 miles included 1 stop at rest area. At the 60 mile mark I turned propane back on, reset gauge and continued home which included 2 exits off I-59 to find diesel and a trip over Monteagle mtn. Once home the overhead read 17.7MPG and then subtracting 6.16 would net 11.54 MPG.

5. I used 14 gal. of propane one way @ $3.00 per gallon in My town equals $42.00
If you figure the cost per mile without propane with diesel at 3.95 per gal. you get 49.12 cents per mile on the trip to Gulf Shores @ 8.04 MPG. With propane used my cost per mile 42.41 cents per mile to Gulf Shores @ 11.54 MPG a difference of 6.71 cents per mile. The difference in propane cost between home and Gulf Shores was 50 cents per gallon or 1.4 cents per mile more.

6. As far as running the truck empty up and down the road I see that propane can cost or save about 1/2 cent per mile depending on propane cost. Even with a regulated fuel return in place the propane will still quieten the engine. And as far as reliability concerns I have been using propane for about 175,000 miles with no problems of any kind due to propane. FWIW mods to truck since 11-01-07 are 1 new ddp stage 1 injectors,2 DP tuner installed 1-07-08 3 ITP reg return approx 3-01-08
there I had try that... i had to do it just to read it.... interesting

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
445 Posts
thank you. so whos kit do you have on it or which one would you recomend?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you. so whos kit do you have on it or which one would you recomend?
See post #5 above. I originally had a powershot 2000 a few years ago,it was not as easy to adjust as the superchips system and I had to have it rebuilt twice which powershot did at little or no cost-shipping only IIRC.
If I were going to start out new today I would explore a CNG (compressed natural gas) system and compare to propane as CNG is much cheaper to buy than propane.I think the biggest issue for most of us would be how easy it is to obtain CNG.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there I had try that... i had to do it just to read it.... interesting
Thanks Redfishman17 for helping a BIG ORANGE fan out. I'm sure you will be sad this time next week once the gators are put in their place by the VOLS:D

·
That light was green!
97 Posts
is propane the way to go because im running a triple dog on my truck and i know that they carry the kit to run it and if anyone would need propane for your setup and live close to the chattanooga area just give me a holler

·
"4DTOUGH"
67 Posts
I have a 2004 Crew Cab 6.0, auto, with 8" lift, and currently 35's...

With current mods I can get 15 mpg @ 70mph and 14 mpg @ 80mph...
This is with cruise control on, and measured at the pump...

I added a propane system this summer, and absolutely love it...

I now get 20 mpg @ 70mph and 18.5 mpg @ 80 mph...

With combination highway and city, and using propane only on highway, I can still manage 13+ mpg driving pretty hard on the pedal...

My gf's brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee avg's 20mpg highway and 12mpg city/hwy combined... Crazy that a lifted F-250 can beat a little suv...

Will probably buy CNG kit this summer and experiment with it next...

·
1,097 Posts
I suppose the 20 and 18 MPG are diesel. How much MPG of the propane are you getting?

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
What I would be curious is the total $ to mile cost. How much is the propane costing to get your MPG up?

Sam

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bump

·
Registered
205 Posts
What data do you have for the bump?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There was a question asked over in 7.3 aftermarket and performance. I told the OP that this might answer their question and I was afraid that they would not go back far enough to find it so I bumped it to make it easy to find.

·
Registered
261 Posts
One thing I would recommend when using propane is to use a limiting solenoid as well. I have an ATS Torque Pro system which worked great until I dusted a set of PMR's. The hobbs pressure switch that comes with the kit is used to turn on the flow of propane over a set psi. If you are running more then 25 psi the propane should be turned off or down at least. You can get a hobbs switch that opens the circuit and plumb it after the hobbs switch that closes the circuit. This way the propane will only be injected say between 7psi and then off at 20 psi or higher. By doing this you used the propane for mileage but not HP.

You don't want to use it when putting in more than 25psi beacuse propane has a lower flash point than diesel which is how it acts as the catalyst for burning diesel more efficiently. The problem comes when you have exessive boost or RPM it's like advancing the timing so much that you get pre-ignition/detonation which is extremely hard on the internals.

My system is energized like this: Ign. - dash mounted toggle switch - Hobbs adj. pressure switch (closed circuit active set at 7psi) - Hobbs adj. pressure switch (open circuit active set at 20psi) - propane regulator.

Bottom line, it goes on at 7psi and off at 20psi.

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but isn't "on at 7psi" a little high? I see you have a cummins and that may be the difference, but for a stock truck with a PSD cruising boost is more like 3psi. Or do you not want propane on at cruising speed?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts