Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Very funny.
On a side note, I wonder what is really happening in those cars when they do accelerate rapidly. I think it is more than just pedal problem and more of a total electronic problem.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Purely ####ing awesomeLOL

·
<==Twin Turbo
757 Posts
the guy in cali that his car sped to 94mph. his 911 call was on tv....

dispatcher: sir, put the car in neutral
dumb guy: i can't
dispatcher: did you try to put the car in neutral?
dumb guy: im trying to keep it under control and on the road!

i mean...94 is fast but really? you cant slap that stick to the left...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
the guy in cali that his car sped to 94mph. his 911 call was on tv....

dispatcher: sir, put the car in neutral
dumb guy: i can't
dispatcher: did you try to put the car in neutral?
dumb guy: im trying to keep it under control and on the road!

i mean...94 is fast but really? you cant slap that stick to the left...
LOL Dude, your about to crash at almost 100mph, I think my instinct would be just to instantly slam it into neutral. Just goes to show you that prius drivers aren't the smartest people. BTW, he can take the time to dial 911 but he cant just touch a stick over a notch?!?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The shifter is electronic, moving it to the left doesn't actually do anything except signal the PCM. It doesn't actually move a valvebody control linkage like on our trucks.

Apparently the PCM will NOT allow the trans to shift to neutral at WOT. Coincidentally, it will NOT allow the engine to be turned off at WOT either...

Making both options null and void when the PCM is reading WOT whether because you're pushing the pedal there, or it's having it's own brain fart that thinks you are, either way, it's not going to allow the pushbutton turn off or the trans to be shifted to neutral...

Notice the guy in the video wasn't at WOT, nor was he running very quickly. He didn't say WOT, or full throttle or anything of the sort, he said "hard acceleration". If he had been at WOT and running say 60+mph, he may have noticed that neither of his solutions would actually work...

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Watched that vid last night absolutely hilarious, 40 F-bombs to the gallon LOL

LOL Dude, your about to crash at almost 100mph, I think my instinct would be just to instantly slam it into neutral. Just goes to show you that prius drivers aren't the smartest people. BTW, he can take the time to dial 911 but he cant just touch a stick over a notch?!?
Maybe I give some people too much credit but there must be some glitch not allowing it to shift into neutral, or for the motor to be shut down. Absolutely refriggintarded but I hope its the case and that the people just aren't that dumb...

Now I haven't driven a Prius but its gotta take something like 10 minutes for it to go 60-100 even matted LOL certainly not something that gets outa hand fast unless your a total moron... which I am sure most prius drivers are :doh:

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
When I think about it Chuck is right.

It is a PCM issue with the cars and EVERYTHING is electrical on these things.

Hell even the brakes are I do believe.

·
FREE THINKER
703 Posts
The shifter is electronic, moving it to the left doesn't actually do anything except signal the PCM. It doesn't actually move a valvebody control linkage like on our trucks.

Apparently the PCM will NOT allow the trans to shift to neutral at WOT. Coincidentally, it will NOT allow the engine to be turned off at WOT either...

Making both options null and void when the PCM is reading WOT whether because you're pushing the pedal there, or it's having it's own brain fart that thinks you are, either way, it's not going to allow the pushbutton turn off or the trans to be shifted to neutral...

Notice the guy in the video wasn't at WOT, nor was he running very quickly. He didn't say WOT, or full throttle or anything of the sort, he said "hard acceleration". If he had been at WOT and running say 60+mph, he may have noticed that neither of his solutions would actually work...
beat me to it ......well said.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
When I think about it Chuck is right.

It is a PCM issue with the cars and EVERYTHING is electrical on these things.

Hell even the brakes are I do believe.
Yes the brakes are.

Post the vid here Garret priuschat.comLOL

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Here's what we GM technicians get to deal with:

Vehicles involved in this recall were placed on stop delivery on January 27, 2010. Once the service procedure contained in this bulletin has been performed, AND THE DRIVER'S FLOOR MAT HAS BEEN REMOVED AND PLACED IN THE TRUNK OF THE VEHICLE, the vehicle can be sold/delivered to the customer.

Condition
Toyota has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in all 2009 and 2010 model year Pontiac Vibe vehicles. The Pontiac Vibe was manufactured by New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI), a joint venture between Toyota and GM.

In these vehicles, there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position. Over time, the internal mechanisms in the accelerator pedal may become worn. As a result of this wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, friction in the mechanism may increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being hard to depress and/or slow to return or, in the worst case, stick in a partially open position, increasing the risk of a crash, serious injury, or death.

Correction
Dealers are to install a precision-cut steel reinforcement bar into the accelerator pedal assembly, which will increase the clearance between the internal mechanisms in the accelerator pedal assembly. This increased clearance will reduce the friction caused by wear and environmental conditions, and allow the pedal to operate smoothly for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I was considering that maybe the PCM would not allow the car to shift, but the guys 911 call made it sound like he didn't even bother to try it. Being that my Mom's car is a drive-by-wire Mercedes, I decided to see what it would do in a runaway. I floored it and sure enough the car let me kick it into neutral, but it would not let me go back to driveLOL

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
:whs: I know the chp officer who helped the "outta control" prius come to a stop. Its a total joke how dumb these drivers are

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:whs: I know the chp officer who helped the "outta control" prius come to a stop. Its a total joke how dumb these drivers are
I've been in plenty of crap that stuck at WOT, and have always keyed it off, pressed the clutch or similar.

However, sometimes that sh*t simply isn't possible...

Otherwise we should all tell the guys who stick the rack in their pump and bite the wall how retarded they are...

Hell, pops was working the tractor one day at the top of a hill using the harrow to soften up a rutted area so he could come back and smooth it back up later, when the tractor stalled backing up the hill with the pull-type harrow behind it.

It was a JD 4430 with the powrshift transmission. Well, when it stalled the engine was dead and the brakes don't work. You figure this out as you stab the brakes and nothing happens. By now you're probably 5 feet downhill, and probably at 2, 3 mph tops. Next up? Just let the clutch out. You figure out that this doesn't work as the damn thing doesn't even remotely slow down because the trans is also controlled by the exact same hydraulic circuit that runs the rest of the tractor. Now you're 15 feet down the hill running probably 10 to 12mph. Meanwhile, you reach to try and start cranking to get some pressure back up and on your way to the key you just slam the rear SVC to the harrow lift cylinder allowing it to drop, which does nothing to slow you down either as there isn't enough pressure to get the tires off the ground even... and as you're cranking you realize the steering wheel is just a little play toy because you guessed it..... the orbital valve is not the self-generating type, and without that same hydraulic pressure it will not operate. Wheel just spins in your hands like a fisher-price toy.... At this point you're over 100 feet from where it stalled and you're running 25 to 30mph toward the pond.

He went off the damn, back of his head broke the rear glass out with him bouncing around in the cab going over the damn, broke the steering column off the dash trying to hold on while attempting to restart the engine and landed about 30 feet out in the pond...

That's the kind of sh*t that can happen when multiple avenues for correcting a situation are all being cut off by the same failure. The JD 4430 was subsequently recalled to have an accumulator installed that would allow the brakes to hold you on a hill in the event that you stalled the engine.

If all the sh*t on these cars is electronically controlled.... and you have an electronic malfunction, or you have a mechanical malfunction that signals the PCM that you're at WOT, then you can have software written that's not allowing you do do jack sh*t about your situation.

If the engine will not decelerate, and the pedal is meaningless to the system, plus the PCM will not shift the trans when it reads WOT, and the PCM will not allow you to shut down the engine when at WOT.... then you've got a whole lot of jack sh*t for options.

At that point you're down to the pathetic brakes to stop the pos. If that doesn't work, start scrubbing off speed on the damn median wall I guess.

Now if the software does allow for a shift and shutting the engine down at WOT in these cars when they are malfunctioning, then yes, these people are full-fledged retards.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts