Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the newest 6.0 stud kits #250-420 come with a new lubrication for install called the Ultra Torque, when using this new lube, the Preload (Torque) Recommendations for the 6.0 Powerstroke has changed, it was 245lb ft with the old supplied lube, but with the new Ultra Torque that they provide us, they have dropped the Preload to 210lb ft.

Here is a copy of the new directions

Also here is a presentation that Chris from ARP showed us a couple weeks ago. I will post up the other part where they actually used the 6.0 stud for testing later on.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
6.0 specific graphs

NOTE: Nothing has changed with the actual studs at all the material is still the same, if you have a new set of studs with the old directions, you can purchase the new Ultra Torque from ARP and follow the new directions if you wish. The good thing about the new suggested preload is that the stud doesn't get as close to its yield strength.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Sure wish I would have had some of that a few months ago. That last 30ft/lbs liked to killed me.:hehe:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Adam, I can't see the pictures, so I don't know if this is posted or not...

What are they rated at now?

I have seen ARP 250-4202's advertised at 190,000....200,000....and 240,000....what are they really rated at now?
Could you PM a price to me for a set as well?
Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
That's some good info. Thanks for posting Adam

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
That is very interesting. Makes me wonder if the tech messed up the stud install on my truck and actually stretched my studs out now...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Torque of the fastener has nothing to do with the clamp force or the "pull" on the block. A simple change in the pitch of the threads will completely change the clamping force at a said torque spec. Or the amount of stretch designed into a fastener will change the clamping load. H-11's have a lower torque but a higher clamp force on the gasket.
I gotcha, main reason we are using them is just because they don't stretch, so they should (in theory) be able to be reused quite a few times.

So what's this about I thought you only used H-11's?

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have only used H11's one time and that's in our ranger. Not really sure on the relevance of the question.

ARP also did an interesting presentation in why not to use H11 too but I dunno.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I noticed that on the studs I got a few weeks ago, that the torque was only 210ft-lbs. I went to 245 anyway though.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Adam, I can't see the pictures, so I don't know if this is posted or not...

What are they rated at now?

I have seen ARP 250-4202's advertised at 190,000....200,000....and 240,000....what are they really rated at now?
Could you PM a price to me for a set as well?
Thanks
ARP2000's (our 250-4202) is rated at 220,000psi

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
We have only used H11's one time and that's in our ranger. Not really sure on the relevance of the question.

ARP also did an interesting presentation in why not to use H11 too but I dunno.
Hmmm, bet that's a believable presentation- why not to use their competitor's product LOL I think I'll just stick with H11s ;):D

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hmmm, bet that's a believable presentation- why not to use their competitor's product LOL I think I'll just stick with H11s ;):D
After blowing head gaskets twice with ARP's (granted, I didn't use the fancy new lube) I used the H11's this last round doing R&R 1 stud at a time on a totally unopened stock long block (other than injectors) known to have good head gaskets. I've put down over 800 (track calculated) rwhp on that engine too. I never had a single head gasket issue with this engine either. Does ARP support installing 1 stud at a time the way you can do it with H11's? I'm not asking about the wisdom or risks associated with using the method I used on my own truck, just wondering if it's a recommended or discouraged procedure by ARP? I'm glad this lube is now available for the sake of the ARP customer. Perhaps this could mean I won't be seeing as many ARP studded 6.0's come in our shop with bad head gaskets. ...on second thought, there's enough crappy techs out there who put them in wrong, or don't do enough surface prep, that I'm sure there will be plenty of failures still to come.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts