Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new idea for ya.... I'm really excited about this one.... CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

I have previously mentioned on another thread that I was going to use a manual air valve in my dash that is the same valve used on an air ride seat.
Paddle Switch | Air Lift Company - Tow and Haul with Safety and Comfort
got it for $18 on fleabay
I now have my air hoses routed from the bed to the manual valve in my dash, back to a T on the driver side frame rail, and on to both bags.

I hooked up to my shop air supply for testing and it worked great. With the air supply regulated to 110 psi it would fill from empty to 100 psi in 60 seconds and would deflate to 0 in 60 seconds.... the last few lbs took the longest time both ways but with higher inlet pressure it would go up faster and with the rv on the back it would go down faster.

SOOOOOO on to the NEW part..... After a bit of brainstorming I have a plan.... I'm gonna use a 20 oz. co2 bottle with a $35 harbor freight regulator and two (100-250 psi) adjustable pop off valves from the parker store.... the regulator will be set to 150 psi and a pop off on it set at 165.... then the second pop off will be set at 135 and will be teed into the line going to the bags behind the dash along with my gauge. First is in case my regulator screws up and second is in case either the valve or I screw up and try to over inflate the bags.

Real curious to see how well this works out n how many times I can fill the bags from a bottle.

·
Administrator
32,981 Posts
first off using a Tee to feed both airbags looses the side to side adjust ability and also promotes sway when one bag loads it pushes the air into the other bag like when you go around a corner

and the c02 I think you will find doesn't fit well with this application atleast not in a 20 oz bottle

but one error with air distribution or a failed HF regulator and you will blow something like a line or bag

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I would use nitrogen instead of co2. Nitrogen is more stable.

Idea sounds good but is going to become old real fast.

I use the Airlift Wireless Airbag controller for the airbags. You set the pressure you want and the controller inflates/deflates them automatically.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first off using a Tee to feed both airbags looses the side to side adjust ability and also promotes sway when one bag loads it pushes the air into the other bag like when you go around a corner

and the c02 I think you will find doesn't fit well with this application atleast not in a 20 oz bottle

but one error with air distribution or a failed HF regulator and you will blow something like a line or bag
This is likely not permanent as eventually ill probably install one of the bigger viair compressors.... I have no need for side to side adjustability.... Been running these bags teed for a few years but have been filling at the back bumper w a portable compressor. Even at 30,000 lb gross, sway is a non issue.

As I said above I will have two pop off valves.... Not worried about bursting anything with redundant pop offs.

Idea sounds good but is going to become old real fast.

I use the Airlift Wireless Airbag controller for the airbags. You set the pressure you want and the controller inflates/deflates them automatically.

Billy T.
[email protected]
I didn't want to spend that amount of money on such a limited system. The airlift stuff has such a tiny compressor and I plan on a much bigger one with a decent size tank.
This is stage 1
I have an auto level valve and will have both auto level and manual selectable with a dash mounted switch.

I have to admit.... A LOT of the reason for co2 is because I'm out of time to finish my air install and because its gonna be fun playing outside the box.

I already own 3 co2 bottles from my days messing w paintball too.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW I only use the bags when pulling my 5th wheel or if I have my goose neck loaded really heavy so not an every day thing..... Here's a couple pics from the last trip.
IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0312.jpg

And a couple of this project... more to follow.....
IMG_1158.jpg IMG_1151.jpg

You have to forgive the goop on the dash... had a small monitor mounted there with peel n stick n have it soaked with goo gone to hopefully clean it off.

Also added the touch screen navigation stereo in the pic and am installing a wireless camera on the back of the 5th wheel which will display on the stereo. Will be handy to keep an eye on the jeep while towing 1000 miles at a time.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Billy T.
Forgot to mention.. I DO have an extra 20 cu.ft. argon bottle and thought about using it but I'm thinking that finding co2 refill on the road is as easy as finding any sporting goods store or paintball shop whereas many welding shops only exchange and want you to have one of their bottles.

BTW guys... in case it didn't come across... I DO appreciate the feedback whether we agree or not.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well update time

Got it all hooked up temporarily for a test and my tiny 9 oz bottle will fill from 0-100 3 times almost 4 BUT there IS a catch.......

I had to keep the bottle warm with a heat gun.... You could watch the pressure on the high gauge drop from @750 psi to zero and of course the low gauge would fall too

The 20 oz will do better and a 24 better yet but it really should have a 5 lb or better.
Still fun to play w LOL

·
Administrator
32,981 Posts
i don't know what your going to spend on this system
but keep in mind the airlift is a tiny compressor because it's a standalone system and it can't be used to air anything else due to the way it's setup but for the money it's a great set and forget system

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I looked at a few of their systems and you're right they ARE nice.... I admit I WAS tempted just because of the simplicity but in the end I'm just not a set it and forget it kind of guy...

So far I have about $75 in hoses, fittings valve and water drain kit for the tank.... maybe $50?? in the auto meter gauge... nothing in the auto level valve as I robbed it from a 69 caddy I scrapped years ago but new ones can be bought for under $50 for semi trucks... I don't have my dump valve yet but it shouldn't be more than $50... My (3 gal?) tank is one from a semi truck I got for free... The Viair compressor is gonna be spendy but being to air tires and run tools is a huge bonus..... I have 16 tires on the road (BTW that's 88 lug nuts to check) when I hook up to travel.

sooo $175 plus whatever my compressor runs

I didn't include the co2 stuff since I'm not convinced it'll get used.... It's possible that it's only purpose in this world was to kick me in the ass and make me order my compressor.... LOL

I've also thought about replacing the manual air valve with a regulator which would automatically deal with leakage AND I could back it off and it would keep dumping after I let go instead of having to hold till empty.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like compressor will be a viair 400c
$187.99 w free shipping from quadratech

part of me says just get it over with.... part of me says NOOOO can't spend money LOL

·
Administrator
32,981 Posts
your like Me with some projects I spend a dime to save a nickle

as long as it works as good or better than I could buy I am fine with it it's when it doesn't works so well I question my spending LOL

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well POOP... just made a purchase... At least I know that if my compressor craps out I can still 'get it up' w co2
LOL

My new toy

Have ANOTHER idea... I think I'm gonna tie a relay for the compressor into my glow plug relay so that the compressor can't run while the glow plugs are powered.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok... well so much for being cheap!

I did some internet shopping... adds up fast!

air1.jpg $17 5-125 psi regulator (will be in dash)
air2.jpg $15 Switch panel from AOB
air3.jpg $23 Camera switch from AOB
air4.jpg $23 Compressor switch from AOB
air5.jpg $14 Monaco rv mirror heat switch from ebay

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
couple more
air6.jpg $15 Momaco rv air dump switch from ebay
air7.jpg $35 Waterproof wide angle night vision camera from ebay
air8.jpg $17 2.4 ghz tx and rx for camera (on the back of my 5th wheel to watch my jeep) from ebay
air9.jpg $37 3 way 12v air valve to dump bags from electricsolenoidvalves.com
air10.jpg $188 Viair 400c from Quadratech

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:doh: some quick math tells me I've spent about $550 to save $450 and I've still got to get some more fittings, wire, patch cables, a DPDT switch to swap the face of my SPST camera switch to, some green led's to make the monaco switches match, and whatever misc stuff I haven't figured out yet..... All this and I forgot I needed a fog light switch... Maybe I can adapt an oem switch for that... also didn't get the matching fuel selector switch I wanted.

BUT then again I'm getting a LOT LOT LOT more function out of all the stuff I ordered than just controlling the bags.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no new pics yet but gonna be cool.. compressor came today and I mocked it up with the comp ans a few fittings.... made some brackets to mount the tank and trilled a hole to mount the cable actuated condensate drain from under the bed... the cable lined up perfectly to make a short run to the fuel fill area.... Will be easy as every time I fuel up the cable will be right there

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn I need to spell check my posts... or learn to type without looking at my fingers LOL

Has anyone ordered from Air On Board before? haven't received a tracking number and wondering how long they usually take to ship.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts