Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this. Finally someone is coming back to market with a headunit for the SQ crowd.
DEX-P99RS

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
sweet the american version is arriving. Guys have been gobbling up the Jap version DEH-P01 for a little while now.

$1,200 a pop for a cd player but sure is purty...

Lots more pics and reviews in this thread, Unboxing of the Pioneer DEH-P01 (DEX-P99RS) - DIYMA.com

Will probably be a lot of Clarion DRZ's and Pioneer P9 combo's and Alpine H701's and H900's coming to the market soon, least I hope lol

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at a DEH-P980BT as a lower cost alternatiive to this model to replace my Eclipse. I am more into SQ. I dont need the NAV and DVD.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I was looking at a DEH-P980BT as a lower cost alternatiive to this model to replace my Eclipse. I am more into SQ. I dont need the NAV and DVD.
I just looked over it quick and looks like some great specs. Only thing I couldn't find was the crossover specs. Might want to check out the 800PRS too for an SQ deck.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cross over specs are listed in the owners manual. Not in teh general specs found on most sites.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Glad a US version is coming out...I'm keeping my DRZ though. :D
It's funny how the best of the best look like cheap ass WalMart units. LOL
I like that about mine...thieves probably see it and won't even waste their time...since it lokos like a 35 dollar junker. LOL

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sound Quality. These are designed for your ears not your eyes.
I agree $1300 is pretty steep. I cant swing it now with what is going on. That is why my quest for a Good unit in the mid price range.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Glad a US version is coming out...I'm keeping my DRZ though. :D
It's funny how the best of the best look like cheap ass WalMart units. LOL
I like that about mine...thieves probably see it and won't even waste their time...since it lokos like a 35 dollar junker. LOL
I had an older Pioneer unit, it looked like ass, and everyone wanted to know why I wouldnt replace it. It had awesome specs, and nobody would break into the truck to steal it. It did eventually get stolen when I had it in my work truck and one of the other drivers left the truck unlocked one night.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
The 980bt does look like a good unit and certainly does a lot of things. Only thing is that it doesn't appear to have all the filters that would be needed to setup an Active stereo. Time alignment is great for going active, but can also help for regular setups. It will make the truck more fo a 1-seater setup though, sounds great for the driver but the imaging and stage is pretty rough for the other seats depending on how much alignment you add into the setup.

Sadly looks like the 800PRS has been discontinued already. Not sure why though since its more of an inbetween unit of the 980BT your looking at and the 99PRS. Can probably still find it somewhere as well as the 880PRS, but thats if you want to dive into active setups.

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
Sound Quality. These are designed for your ears not your eyes.
I agree $1300 is pretty steep. I cant swing it now with what is going on. That is why my quest for a Good unit in the mid price range.
ya say there not made for the eyes but that looks better than 99% of the HU's out there. my dad had some nakajawewasengoober HU in his car that looked great nice and simple and clean and sounded awesome.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found 880prs's and i am also looking at the X994 from Kenwood. The 880 seems to be the standard for a lot of guys doing SQ.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found the X993 for $229 shipped new with a 3 year warranty.
They also have the 880prs for $325 with the same warranty and shipping. I cant decide. I might have to buy both and try them out.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Looks like the X993 is a strong unit with a good DAC and should play stuff back good but I don't think I would put it in the same ballpark as the 880PRS.

I might be wrong but appears from the manual on the X993 that it only has High pass filters for the front/rear channels and a low pass for the subwoofer. It does have time alignment that can be adjusted for distance. But with the lack of full low and high pass crossovers I don't think its an Active capable unit like the 880PRS is. If your not wanting to go active then it is probably a solid choice and should sound great.

The 880PRS is a staple unit for getting into active tuning (3-way capable), LOTS of people have used them for years with great results. Just need to be careful with the RCA's and don't blow the PICO fuse inside the unit, but there are many writeups on fixing this with a little solder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts