Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-laws truck has a small oil drip. I am pretty sure it is the pedistal o-rings as it is leaking down the back side of the motor but no evidence of HPOP leak. He is about to make a 1200 mile trip pulling a large 5er next week and is not really wanting to work on the truck so close to making this trip.

Is there a possibility of these o-rings failing to the point where he would be forced into a repair on the road? Or will it just continue to seep until we get a chance to replace them? I just don't know if this is something that I should insist we fix before they leave or if it can wait.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Fix them now. Why wait for something bad to happen. Preventative maintenance seems to be a lost art in this world. The "If it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude is what leaves most people on the side of the road.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
More likely that the EBPV is leaky then the pedistal O-rings depending on what it looks like.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Much easier to fix in the garage or driveway, than on the side of the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I am going over to look at it now. Maybe I can convince him to get it fixed now.
A little background history on this has been my truck. It seems that the last three years we have had to work on it right before we left and every time something has popped up which forced us to work on it "on the road". Last year, we had to rebuild the rear end in an RV park in colorado, year before we were replacing injector o-rings in a west Texas RV park. Year before that, we searched endlessly for a boost leak and knocking noise. That is why he is so gun shy about working on it right before he leaves.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
More likely that the EBPV is leaky then the pedistal O-rings depending on what it looks like.
What is the best way to check that? I had Ford diagnose it for me using their scanner which can cycle the EBPV so that it moves throughout the range of motion. That way, if the plunger is not at the leak point, it can be moved to the leak point and we can see it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just looked at it and from what I can tell from the topside and checking from the bottom side with a mirror, it looks like you guys were right on the EBPV. It's not leaking much but we are going to get the parts coming.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Rip out the EBPV and tap and plug the hole. The thing is useless to start with and will only leak again. Search for EBPV delete and you shall be set free from that nightmare.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
viton oring are better quality then the black soft oring ford sells you..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rip out the EBPV and tap and plug the hole. The thing is useless to start with and will only leak again. Search for EBPV delete and you shall be set free from that nightmare.
We used the EBPV for an exhaust brake on both trucks so I will just fix it. His is a different set-up than mine but it works pretty well for him. He has a TC lock-up switch and works with accelerator pedal to open and close the EBPV going up and down the passes with a load. I had a decel tune put in my chip.
Got the kit ordered from Bob! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts