Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just painted my 2K Ex with Eastwoods Single Stage Urethane paint. I used Boulevard Black as the color. I shaved all the emblems and added some fender vents from a Range Rover. Going to paint the wheels and complete mirrors next, then lots of color sanding and buffing. This was my first paint job.

·
Registered
969 Posts
looks good,if you dont mind what did the materials cost? what kind of spray gun did you use?

·
Texas7.3
52 Posts
looks like u got a little bit of orange peel or is it just your camera

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks good,if you dont mind what did the materials cost? what kind of spray gun did you use?
I think total cost of the materials was about $700. I used the DeVilbiss Starting Line 3 gun kit. I put 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear for more depth.

looks like u got a little bit of orange peel or is it just your camera
Yea, got a little orange peel on it, and a couple of runs. That's why I am going to color sand and buff it. Not really looking forward to that, but it will look 100% better when it's done.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I've picked up alot of cool stuff from this site.

Bobby

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Wish I knew how to body paint like that or somebody that did. One thing I never took the time to learn and really wish I had. Body work and painting.:doh:

Orange peel should come out glass smooth with the proper amount of color sanding.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Looks great.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
nice work, that will be flat as glass when your done with the wetsanding and buffing
you will want to sand the runs out first, if your careful you can use a razorblade.

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
looking great!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nice job. Gave me flashbacks of doing mine last fall. The orange peal on mine isn't very noticeable, and not worth the effort of color sanding. LOL

·
Registered
745 Posts
I did some painting this weekend. I have some orange peel but it should sand out.
My ignorance what is color sanding?
That EX looks sweet. Nice work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Color sanding is exactly what you are going to do. It just means you are sanding the color coat of your paint. Be very careful on corners and sharp edges, two swipes of sanding and you can go right through to the primer. I just ordered the liquid ice system from Eastwood. I'm going to give that a shot and see how it goes.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks. I always just call it wet sanding. Was not sure if there was somthing i was missing. I like to wet sand between coats. The painting i did came out rather well. 3 coats paint wet sand after last coat, 3 coats clear wetsand and buff.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks. I always just call it wet sanding. Was not sure if there was somthing i was missing. I like to wet sand between coats. The painting i did came out rather well. 3 coats paint wet sand after last coat, 3 coats clear wetsand and buff.
I still have sanding flashbacks.

Bare metal, mud, top coat, top coat, top coat, primer, primer, color, color, color,
Sanding at the commas.
If you know how to sand and shoot paint. That procedure will give you a ####-hot looking paint job. It also makes you want to not do a paint job for at least 6 months perhaps a year:eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts