Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning I heard a new noise, it was most notsasable at very low speed after I let off accelerator , got home opened hood and listened and thought, "great time for a new engine"
after removing belt to eliminate tension er I think Ive traced it to the HPOP, via screw driver and empty drink cup to ear, like the one left over in the yard after a kegger, HAHA
so it is common for HPOP to make a lot of noise when they are going out, and if so whats the best one to replace it with, on the cheap, just had to put new HVAC on roof last week, that took most of my cash, thx

I can post video of noise if you think it will help, tx

Jeremy, Modesto, ca

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Post it up...
Super cheap route is good used hpop.
best cheap upgrade is t500....which is far less then ford or a parts store one.

But if you have an android possibly look into a newegg bluetooth adapter and torque ap..it will give you some hpop numbers. With that yoh can see some of its output as to if it is weak.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read something about crossover, what is it for, is it easier to do while having to change hpop?
Thx for info about replacement hpop

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
A crossover is a hose that ties both sides together.
usually you may notice a slightly smoother idle. Others notice nothin.

Modded hpops tie both sides together internally.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Fleabay $405 for a reconditioned hpop is about cheapest unless a good used one but Id go with a reman over used.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
For 405 i would go with a t500.
It has been gone through and will boost perdormqnce and mpg slightly even on a bone stock truck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
For 405 i would go with a t500.
It has been gone through and will boost perdormqnce and mpg slightly even on a bone stock truck.
:whs: No brainer for $55 more.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Wasnt sure on the t500 price but hell im going with the t500 in the spring then. Cant beat that price and its not like you change them every 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did somemore research and looked at thread on here with a sound clip, it sounds more like it could be the TC or flexplate, I pulled the rock gaurd off and it seems to be louder doen there, any ideas, and what causes the sound and can the tc just be replaced or does the trans need to be gone through cause of possible metal shavings, the trans had been replaced before I got it, and ive had the trans overheat and fluid dump out of TC seal, since Ive put in a larger trans cooler and no problems since
thank for any help
jeremy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts