Installed new recon mirror lenses and bulbs yesterday

·
Registered
406 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
looks good. Install is about 5 minutes or less a side. Completely plug and play. My recons leaked like a mo fo and ended up shorting out. Needless to say every recon product I owned had issues so I just had my factory lenses blacked out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How did you black out your stock lenses? I have heard of people having body shops spray tinted clear on them and I have seen the translucent spray paint used. I want to do mine.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
local shop sprayed and buffed them. If you want to go the cheap route vht night shades will work.

·
Registered
534 Posts
if you use the vht spray tint.. do LIGHT coats and do one and let it dry before spraying again.. it will get darker as it dries

·
Registered
649 Posts
I love the VHT, but it fades so fast. In less than 6 months my cab lights went from black to orange, can't complain about how cheap and easy it is but sucks I have to redo all my lights

·
Registered
649 Posts
I did those myself, 7 hours and an oven.... Big Pain in the @ss but I love being the only Superduty in town with these and switchback running lights.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is there a good set of detailed instructions to do them? I'm scared I will mess them up.

Sorry I didn't meant to take away from this thread. I like the smoked out look and just getting different ideas.

·
Registered
649 Posts
There was a pretty detailed write up but its fairly easy with time and patience.

Remove assembly from truck, and remove all pieces possible(i.e. bulbs and connectors)

Preheat oven to 250*F ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SHUT OFF OVEN WHEN ASSEMBLY IS INSIDE.

Put a large piece of cardboard on oven rack, and place assembly on top

I started with 5 minute intervals, but made it up to 10 towards the end.

Everytime you remove assembly from oven turn oven back on to 250

Every interval start trying to pry clear lens from back assembly, don't worry you wont break it.

You'll eventually get them apart. Once you do you can remove reflector from chrome bezel.

With a scotch brite pad scuff the chrome bezel and reflector.

Paint/VHT whatever you like, I VHT painted the reflector and satin black painted the bezel.

You'll need some sort of epoxy to seal the assembly back together

******REMEMBER TO CLEAN THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSING REAL WELL*****

Don't forget to windex the inside of the clear lens or you will have dirt/fingerprints and well your screwed unless you pull them back apart.

It took me 7 hours the first time and 5 the second time around

Good Luck!

I know Ebay sells our whole assemblies in the "Harley" style for pretty cheap. If you don't want to disassemble your OE lights you can buy a second set from Ebay and try those out for your first attempt.

Otherwise I know a few guys on here do them but they can take a few weeks and a few bucks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts