Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I Like Red Cows
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at laptops for school next year and I am tore between Dell Studio 17 and HP dv7t. What are some of your guys opinions on laptops? I'm trying to keep it around $1000 but if it goes over a couple hundred. I'm just looking for now probably won't buy till mid-June or mid-July. Thanks!

·
Peon
727 Posts
I'd skip any Windoze machine and wait until Apple offers their "Back To School" program towards the end of summer. You can get a MacBook for a tick under a grand then, with rebates, get a free printer and iPod Touch so that's a deal worth waiting for.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
I like my Mac.

Just got my wife a Dell Studio 15. She's not into the Mac stuff.

Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB 7200RPM HD, ATI Radeon 5470 1GB, etc. Bought it through Costco of all places. They had a special for $300 off. Right now I'm removing all the Dell preinstalled crap. Fun stuff.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
Ask the school what they suggest. My daughters school had recommedations, offer onsite tech support and onsite warrantee for 4 years - and they were Dells

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I really like ASUS laptops, it's the best one I have ever bought.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
I love my Mac. I wish I would have gotten one a lot sooner. I dont care what people say, use a Mac for a week and it is a hell of a lot easier than a PC

·
Registered
389 Posts
not the smartest with computers as far as viruses and such. do macs have the same type of problems and need virus software like pc. im also trying to decide on next computer my curent hp is 6 years old and i have multiple virus things that pop up daily. Insane Pain

·
Registered
581 Posts
Macs have their issues but as far as OS X you're pretty much good to go. Ideally they're the best of both worlds as you can run Windows on one. As for virus software and whatnot, they don't really need them because it's a *nix system. Safer than Windows and just not popular enough in the market share to mess with trying to crash them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
thanks and as for having fast internet is it all dependent on the service/connection or does the computer play part in that also? i have dsl but others have dial up and are way faster than mine.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It depends....99% of the time, speed is dependent upon your connection. However, if you're running far too many processes for your computer to handle, yes the browser can become very slow. It's not the connection at that point but rather your CPU's lack of processing power or RAM allocation.

As far as it making DSL seem or act slower than dial up, well you're having other issues there.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
not the smartest with computers as far as viruses and such. do macs have the same type of problems and need virus software like pc. im also trying to decide on next computer my curent hp is 6 years old and i have multiple virus things that pop up daily. Insane Pain

Like clayc said, virus protection is not really needed.

Macs have their issues but as far as OS X you're pretty much good to go. Ideally they're the best of both worlds as you can run Windows on one. As for virus software and whatnot, they don't really need them because it's a *nix system. Safer than Windows and just not popular enough in the market share to mess with trying to crash them.
Another good thing about the Macs is that you can run windows on them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
On the same lines as stated with checking on school recommendations, I know when I went to school you could get a big discount ordering through their program they had set up. Both Dell and Apple were available also.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
I'm looking at laptops for school next year and I am tore between Dell Studio 17 and HP dv7t. What are some of your guys opinions on laptops? I'm trying to keep it around $1000 but if it goes over a couple hundred. I'm just looking for now probably won't buy till mid-June or mid-July. Thanks!
Ask Crowz what to buy. If you don't want to buy what he recommends, just ignore him. But at least you will have an opinion from a pro.

·
I Like Red Cows
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! Its been forever since I been on here, long weekend! haha. Anyway, the back to school deal for mac sounds kickass with a free printer and ipod touch, but my school i'm goin to, uses strictly windows. I'm on my school laptop right now its four years old, maybe the OS X, idk, its simple yes, but you have to have all the coverting software and etc so i think im going to go with the hp, but i still have a little while to decide and shop around. But, thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
You shouldn't have to use converting software with a Mac at all. Most of they're apps, especially school based (documents, excel, etc.) are all completely available from the Mac platform.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts