Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey looking to see what you guys think.

I have a 1996 f350 7.3 psd with AFE Intake , MBRP 4" exhaust, banks turbo housing, Adrenaline HPOP and Pyro, Boost and tranny gauges.

Looking at getting a chip from KT Performance and will either go with the TS 6 position or the Hydra unit 17 position. The Hydra can be updated in future with out removing PCM with a flash drive via USB cable that goes to unit. Here are the links for both

TS : 6 Position Customized Switchable Chip, Ford (1994-97) 7.3L Power Stroke

Hydra: Power Hungry Hydra Chip, Ford (1994-03) 7.3L Power Stroke, Switch-on-the-Fly 17-Position Chip

Looking to make a decision on which one to go with and the major dilemma is will I change my injectors or not. If not I'll go with the TS.

I use my truck to primarily plow with in the winter and tow my toy hauler approx 11k lbs through out the year. I'm not looking to race the truck just want dependable truck with some balls.

That being said do I need more than 100hp and is that the only reason to change out the injectors?

If you do recommend new injectors which ones for my application? I tow this trailer to and from Sturigis from Boston yearly and that's about the longest haul I anticipate for a while.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I wouldnt do injectors unless you plan on doing an intercooler as well since you are gonna run into egt issues.

As for chips..... I would go with the hydra.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am not intercooled & have stage 160/stock. I have no issues at all with EGT's. Definitely save up for the hydra!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am having the same issue with which one to choose. I am leaning more towards the hydra due to the ease up upgrading later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it looks like the Hydra is the one to go with.

Anyone out there a fan of keeping the injectors stock and if so why? If not what's a good size injector for towing?

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I only say to stay stock if you don't have an intercooler mainly because of you towing over 10k lbs and I can bet you'll run into some hills between Boston and Sturgis

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only say to stay stock if you don't have an intercooler mainly because of you towing over 10k lbs and I can bet you'll run into some hills between Boston and Sturgis
Yes I'm sure it will run into some hills along the way.

I'm happy to hear the recommendation at the moment cause I have other things I need to upgrade anyways like suspension.

I'll have to do a lot more research into injectors and other components when and if I decide to go that route. I'm not trying to make more power unless the trucks other components can handle it.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I wouldnt do injectors unless you plan on doing an intercooler as well since you are gonna run into egt issues.

As for chips..... I would go with the hydra.
Just a bit of info, but most obs trucks that run larger injectors do NOT have an intercooler.

Is it a good upgrade, yes! Is it required, no.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I am not intercooled & have stage 160/stock. I have no issues at all with EGT's. Definitely save up for the hydra!
Do you tow anything heavy? Mine ran into EGT issues towing when it was bone stock.

Just a bit of info, but most obs trucks that run larger injectors do NOT have an intercooler.

Is it a good upgrade, yes! Is it required, no.
Read the above. If you tow, which the OP mentioned, and are outside of the flatlands of Florida at sea level it can become an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts