Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced passenger side injectors in my buddy's 06 and there is a massive leak when I put air to it. The leak was coming from the back so I swapped the injectors around. That did nothing, so I investigated further. The leak seems to be coming straight up through the back of the passenger side head.

I have inspected the oil rail thouroughly and it seems to be normal. I have also replaced the stand pipes and dummy plugs.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I appreciate all of the info I have received from this website as a guest. I try not to waste peoples time with posts that have already been covered, but I am just stumped on this 6.0. I have been at this thing for a couple months off and on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just finished troubleshooting my hpo leak. Does the air flow sound change at all when the IPR is commanded closed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at page 40 of the 6.0 Bible, I am leaning toward an issue with the High Pressure Oil Branch tube from the HPOP.

I know it cant be off completely though because I removed the ICP and cranked it over until oil flowed out to help purge some of the air out of the system.

That's my best guess of the minute.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished troubleshooting my hpo leak. Does the air flow sound change at all when the IPR is commanded closed?
I need to ask for clerification on this question.

I have the AE and command the duty cycle of the IPR to 70%. Does that close it or open it?

When I do this, I cannot tell a difference at all in the air leak.

Also might be worth noting when the valve cover is on it pushes the air out the vent on the drivers side valve cover where it feeds back into the intake tube. I plugged it with my thumb and it forces itself out around the ICP seal.

When the oil fil cap is off, it free flows out that and none flows out the drivers side vent. It is a very high rate of air coming out of there. It keeps my 60 gallon compressor running constantly when it is hooked up.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
snap to connect fitting.... search it here..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I took the cover off of the HPOP and it does not appear to be leaking anywhere near it. The leak appear to be up high at the back of the head.

All the o-rings seem to be in good shape on in the injectors.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for all of the helpfull info from you guys.

·
Registered
73 Posts
70% is not full closed but I believe you should be able to hear a difference in the flow. Does this truck have the updated STC fitting like deezul mentioned?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its the new style fitting.

I dont know that that would matter though. It is not leaking around the HPOP at all as far as I can tell.

It seems possible that it coul be leaking whre the stand pipe goes into the branch tube, but doesn't seem likely since there does not seem to be any air coming out dow near the intake at all.

I am guessing it is rally leaking at the rail near the back, I am just stumped on where it could be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
IPR valve? Does it start at all or just not when its hot? What are you making for ICP?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure it is not a torn top injector seal where the oil rails plug into the injector?
I suppose it is possible. I assumed the leak was in the rear, so I pulled out the 5 and 7 injectors and thoroughly inspected them and then put the 1 and 3 in the back. It is possible the air leak was initially in the 3 and I missed it.

I will take a look Friday.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you pressurized it with the D/S valve cover off as well to make sure its not a leak over there that is going through the galley and coming out the P/S head. My leak was a torn injector oring and I could clearly hear it and pinpoint it to the #5 injector with a stethoscope.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you pressurized it with the D/S valve cover off as well to make sure its not a leak over there that is going through the galley and coming out the P/S head. My leak was a torn injector oring and I could clearly hear it and pinpoint it to the #5 injector with a stethoscope.
I hadnt concidered it leaking across, I will deffinitely keep this in mind as well. I didn't really think about the stethescope since it is blowing so much air. I have one I have never used.

No time tonight, I will fumble with it tomorrow night.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I pulled the oil rail back off and pulled the o rings out to inspect them all. The whole side seems perfect.

I don't think it can leak across the valley from the driver side because I have the HPOP cover off and it would be leaking out there.

Is it possible the injector cup is bad and it is leaking back up past the outside of the injector?

It is a massive amount of air, I can't believe I cannot find it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you sure it is not a torn top injector seal where the oil rails plug into the injector?
I think I am going to try and slip all the injectors on the rail on the bench and hold them by hand while I pressurize the rail to see if it leaking there. Obviously I will have to have a couple extra hands to hold all the injectors on. I cannot think of what would make a good plug for the other three injector nipples...other than a couple extra thumbs!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the thumb idea worked.

I had two leaking at the rail and o-ring. It turns out when you rebuild them it actually does matter which way you clock the orbital valve. The little gap in the ring inside the top of the injector has to be on the same side as the fat side of the orbital valve. Who knew? I had to tighten one injector body a half a turn, and loosen one a half a turn. Problem solved now.

Thanks for all of the ideas everybody.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You need to pressurize the oil system with air and apply 12v to ipr valve to close it. You should hear no air at all if there are no leaks. You may hear a Lil air escaping the back of the hpop that is normal. Do not leave power connected to ipr longer that 20 seconds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You need to pressurize the oil system with air and apply 12v to ipr valve to close it. You should hear no air at all if there are no leaks. You may hear a Lil air escaping the back of the hpop that is normal. Do not leave power connected to ipr longer that 20 seconds.
Thanks for the tip. I have the Auto Enginuity Scanner, so I can close the IPR with that. I did put the air to it after I figured out my mistake and it seemed to be leaking quite a bit. Since I am new at this, I assumed it was because I didn't have the IPR closed and buttoned it all back up, assuming it was all good...wrong again.

Now it starts only when its cold, meaning I still have a leak somewhere. On top of that it still blows white smoke, so my attempt to rebuild the injectors was fruitless and it is pretty likely my buddy has to buy at least one new one anyways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts