Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how common is it to get a reman hpop and it go bad? reason im asking is ive literally changed everything in the hpo system and truck ran great, then im was driving on highway and it lost throttle response looked down and noticed my psi had dropped to like 800. was in the middle of no where so i tried limping it to civilization and it died luckily i was able to coast it off the highway into a gas station. truck has started since. now it will only build up like 80-120 psi depending on the outside temp. reason im asking this is how common is this problem because im very competent in doing the work so im almost certain it is nothing else other than the hpop..

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If it's the truck in your sig, then it's definitely possible. I had it happen to me once on a buddy's truck. It's not common, though. I thought it had happened on another truck I was working on, but it turned out the o-ring on top of the J-tube on top of the HPOP was nicked when the HPOP cover was put on. Swapped that out and it's been running fine ever since.

So, while it may suck to get access, I recommend you do an air test using the IPR adapter. It's saved me quite a bit of heartache when I have changed out every o-ring and things still weren't right.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,474 Posts
The 03 and 04 HPOP's really are not all that reliable and as Weatherlite stated, some have failed out-of-the-box essentially.

The only HPOP I recommend is the Dieselsite upgraded one (stock size or the Adrenaline). their pump has an exceptional reliability record.

There are some humorous threads about people buying Auto Parts Store brand of HPOP just to get the lifetime warranty. When warned about it, they stated that they wouldn't mind the labor, just as long as they got the free part .............. until it failed. Then the labor was a big pain.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weatherlite on the truck you've seen that had the nicked oring were you able to air test it? If so what did the leak sound like or where was it sounding like it was coming from? Im hoping thats the case I've thought about that as the cover is somewhat weird to get started back on. I've even already purchased the orings because I knew I was going to at least have to be getting in there to look at stuff. But ya im just hoping it's not the pump as I didn't exactly buy it, with this covid mess I was kind of financially strapped at the time and my dad ended up helping me out and buying it for me. Guess it would be worth finding where the hell he got it from. Luckily I've had a motorcycle to get back and forth to work on 😂

thanks for the replies guys.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,474 Posts
Most mechanics recommend installing a new J-tube whenever the HPOP is changed out. Also, the large yellow o-ring goes UNDER the HPOP. If you don't install it there, then it will leak (either there on the suction side where an air test won't show an issue, or on the discharge side where an air test will show an issue).

You seemed very confident in the install, but maybe that might help some.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I installed a new j tube with the new hpop. Along with ipr. When all of this happened I immediately went after the ipr because I know it's a kind of common to get the screen dirty or blown out when having done all of that work on the truck if you aren't super cautious about being a clean freak. Got the ipr out and it was clean I couldn't hardly tell anything was on the screen but I had a new one and just replaced it anyways.

I know the orings are in the right place I wouldn't of messed up putting them in the wrong spot. Leaning more towards that I somehow nicked that top oring putting the cover back on.

Question, if the oil reservoir screen was dirty or blown out would there be debris getting into the hpop and the ipr? Meaning if it was blown out the ipr should have debris on it or damaged. Or is that even a common occurrence? Or possibility? Because I know all of that is filtered oil so it should be as clean as possible. Reason I was asking in my brainstorming I do at night while laying in bed with all of the possibilities that could be the problem if the oil reservoir screen was clogged up could it be depriving the hpop of oil therefore not letting it build pressure? Prob just overthinking it but figured I'd ask.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,474 Posts
There is evidence that on start-up (with cold oil), there is some bypassing of the filter. Some people do find trash on the screen under the oil cooler without really understanding why. That said, it is hard to know if these people ever ran the combination of an OEM oil filter with an aftermarket cap though.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Weatherlite on the truck you've seen that had the nicked oring were you able to air test it? If so what did the leak sound like or where was it sounding like it was coming from? Im hoping thats the case I've thought about that as the cover is somewhat weird to get started back on. I've even already purchased the orings because I knew I was going to at least have to be getting in there to look at stuff. But ya im just hoping it's not the pump as I didn't exactly buy it, with this covid mess I was kind of financially strapped at the time and my dad ended up helping me out and buying it for me. Guess it would be worth finding where the hell he got it from. Luckily I've had a motorcycle to get back and forth to work on 😂

thanks for the replies guys.
When I did that particular air test, the air was escaping from the turbo drain port on the front of the HPOP cover. Air coming from that spot can be from a multitude of things, though. First, to clarify, you CAN and will heard a leak at the injectors through the HPOP cover hole. The difference is it will sound loud through the oil fill tube or the CCV port, and relatively quiet (by comparison) through the HPOP cover. If it's loud through the cover, it is one of four o-rings....the yellow one which goes under the HPOP itself, the thin ring which goes between the HPOP and j-tube, the o-ring inside the j-tube at its snap fitting, or the o-ring which is actually a D-ring on top of the j-tube. I specify it's a D-ring because I have seen some generic kits sold with o-rings. Always have to get OEM for some things, and IMO o-rings are among them. If, on the other hand, you hear a gurgle coming from your oil filter housing (you should always remove the oil filter when doing an air test) then the pump itself is bad. However, if it's actually the pump, that gurgle will appear fairly quickly. Don't apply air, wait 20 minutes and then when the gurgle appears at the filter think it's the pump. It's ok for some air to escape that direction after a long enough period of time.

So, if you have air out of the HPOP cover, it's REALLY difficult to test which one once the cover is off. I wound up building a hand valve with a small piece of 3/8" hose on the end which was cut short and then shaved into a cone like shape so it partially fit into the hole on top of the j-tube. I then pushed it down into that hole and slowly opened the valve. Let me tell you, it takes some effort to hold that sucker on....be prepared for an oil bath on occasion. lol Once you've got it held down tightly apply the air gradually until you've got full pressure, and then listen/look for the leak. If you don't find it but still hear it from inside the engine, it's not in the HPOP area. If you don't find it and no longer hear it, inspect/replace that D-ring, and then inspect the HPOP cover for gouges, rough spots, etc, where it engages that D-ring so you can be sure it's not cutting it on installation.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i finally got good enough weather and some time to actually get to the hpop... the oring on top on the jtube that seals the cover was blown out. ive never seen this and only time i have seen it is when people put the wrong oring up there. any guesses on what couldve caused this? the orings are in the right place so i dont understand. prob cheap aftermarket orings i assume cause i think my father got the orings with the pump. so i highly doubt theyre motorcraft rings. i wish i was more computer savy on how to post pictures one here. but its literally missing like 1/5 of the oring. just thinking if its worth pulling the pump and replacing the rest of the rings with the motorcraft ones i have.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you have Motocraft rings and you've already got it down to where you can see the HPOP, DEFINITELY swap out all the old ones!! If they're aftermarket, they are far more likely to blow out or just simply leak. Also, though it's not likely, check inside your HPOP cover passage and in the IPR for chunks of that o-ring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts