Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i am new to this site, reason i joined is i am looking at getting a F250 or F350, right now i have a 2004 F150 screwcab lariat with 110,000 miles on it... no i am wanting to get ride of it and either get a new F150 or maybe an older diesel...now what i am wondering is there anything i should know about the 6.0 diesel, is it a good truck, are there any major problems that occur with this engine? i am new to diesels, is there anything that was a major pita with the 6.0 diesel? This is all thanks to my brother in law who has a new 08 F250 that he just chipped lifted and put exhaust on, i drove it this week and now i just can't stop thinking about getting a diesel even though i really don't have a need for one yet, accept i hunt alot and it would be nice for the long road trips seeing how i get 10 mpg out of my f150 cause i have 35's on it... about what mpg do you guys see out of lifted diesels, i don't care i mean it is a truck but i am wondering if it is any better then 10 out of my 150? any and all comments will be appreciated thanks guys...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I guess I will be the first to say something. A lot of people will say stay away from the 6.0's reliability issues but that's not always the case. The 6.0 will do you just great with maintenance just like any other diesel or gas truck. The main thing that will find with the 6.0 is oil cooler problems, egr cooler problems, and accumulated between those both, head gaskets. So now your probably thinking great not goin there. But with these problems there are things you can do to fix them. You can get a egr delete, oil cooler rebuild(just in case), coolant filter, and headstuds. The first couple things will cost you( if you do it yourself right around 1,000 dollars to address everything. If you want the headstuds that will be quite a bit more unless you do it yourself( it's a huge job)

now as far as gas mileage, I have 37's 13.5 inch wide all terrains, 6" lift, stock gearing, sct with xtreme street tune, 5 inch exhaust( everything in my sig) and I get right around 11-12 in town keeping my foot out of it, highway driving I see 14.5-14.9 mpg. These are all hand calculated.

What kind of driving do you usually do?

I

·
0 Posts
If I didn't use my diesel for it's intended purpose, I wouldn't own one.. No matter which way you look at it, they cost way more to own. If I didn't need a diesel I would take a close look at the new 6.2 gas engine. I have owned and driven many 5.4's and they have no power at all.. I think they are going to offer the 6.2 in the F-150 also.. If you have to have a diesel, I would not recommend a 6.0 to someone new to diesels for the simple reason that the 6.0 is the worst/unreliable diesel engine Ford ever installed in a truck.. I like mine but I put a pile of money in it to make it reliable. There are many that pull hard everyday and are reliable but the odds are not on your side unless your willing to spend several thousand dollars to make it reliable.. Do some reading before you decide.. I was just on craigslist and saw a 2002 F-350 SCLB lariat in mint condition with a 7.3 with 65K miles.. If I needed a used diesel, that truck would be in my driveway.. If you can find a nice low mileage 7.3, that would be the way to go.. The oil pan was the major problem with them, they rot and it's a major job to replace it other than that there solid. So to sum this up for ya,

the 7.3 "may" need an oil pan..
The 6.0 may have problems with, Injectors/oil cooler/EGR/EGR cooler/head gasket/studs/FICM.. And a few other things I can't remember.

You do the math..

·
Still learning
368 Posts
I'll probally get blasted for this, but from what I have observed reliability with the 6.0l is in how it is driven and used. If you always drive it like an scalded ass ape stock or turned up expect to sock a bunch of money into it to make it reliable. If you show a little care and maintain it properly you'll probally be ok.

But like stated before because it's diesel expect to pay more when it breaks.

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
In all honesty, stay away from a diesel, especially a 6.0. You already stated yourself that you really have no need for one so don't take on the added expense of owning one. Gas is the cheaper option out there for both fuel, mods, repair.

Also, you'll probably be really disappointed if you pick up an older 03-07 6.0 and expect it to run like your friend's 6.4.

The 6.0s are money pits, plain and simple. You should know this before heading in. If you plan to do any performance mods to it, be prepared to pay for repairs when it breaks because no matter what people say on here, it will break. Hell even to run a programmer for any real length of time "reliably" you need studs, egr delete, and really a fuel pump upgrade (stock will wear out).

I'm not trying to tell you what to do because it's your money. But if you do dive into a 6.0 and chip it, just be fore warned about the consequences.

·
<--won't start
235 Posts
great feedback, i was just at a spot where i blew my 2nd HG and it was either stud it up and sell it or dump a sh** ton of money into it.

i'm going with option 2, bought it new and now have over 130,000 on it and i havent beat it up. so cross my fingers/roll the dice and take a jump into the deep end of the pool with no swimmies on is what i'm doing. my bro has a 7.3 with 300,000 and he has beat the piss out of it most of those miles and the thing keeps going. i'd say go with what atsah said.

I

·
0 Posts
great feedback, i was just at a spot where i blew my 2nd HG and it was either stud it up and sell it or dump a sh** ton of money into it.

i'm going with option 2, bought it new and now have over 130,000 on it and i havent beat it up. so cross my fingers/roll the dice and take a jump into the deep end of the pool with no swimmies on is what i'm doing. my bro has a 7.3 with 300,000 and he has beat the piss out of it most of those miles and the thing keeps going. i'd say go with what atsah said.
I have had a 7.3 or two and I knew nothing about diesels when I bought them. I drove them like any other truck and they stood up to a LOT for a long time. My 6.0 is a good truck but for most of us 6.0 owners, it's just a matter of time before we get stranded due to the way the engine was designed and the inferior components installed in the engine. There are many that bought the 6.0 and now will never buy a Ford truck again because of it.. You can't blame them, when you pay huge payments for five or six years and then have to empty your checking account yearly after your warranty runs out would be good reason not to..
I'm thinking Ford did the right thing building there own diesel engine for the 2011. Will see in a couple of years what it's made of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of driving do you usually do?
Well most of my driving is just around town and to work, but on the weekends it varies from driving 500 miles to my sisters house (where i use to live) and hang out with family and friends out there or hunting and fishing around home....

I

·
0 Posts
Well most of my driving is just around town and to work, but on the weekends it varies from driving 500 miles to my sisters house (where i use to live) and hang out with family and friends out there or hunting and fishing around home....
Sounds like a half ton or 3/4 with a gas engine would work just fine for ya. No way in He!! would I own a diesel if I didn't need one. Any gas truck I ever had, I got in it and drove it without a worry. Diesel's don't like winter and cost a lot more to maintain. Diesel's were made to make money with. If your not earning money with it, there not worth owning..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a half ton or 3/4 with a gas engine would work just fine for ya. No way in He!! would I own a diesel if I didn't need one. Any gas truck I ever had, I got in it and drove it without a worry. Diesel's don't like winter and cost a lot more to maintain. Diesel's were made to make money with. If your not earning money with it, there not worth owning..
yeah i know what you mean, but 3 main reasons i think diesel, better gas mileage, i get 10 pmg out of my 04 150 now, last longer, and more power, i mean i wouldn't tow all the time, but planing on going on long road trips/hunting trips and it would be nice to have a diesel for mpg and towing a small trailer or boat....

I

·
0 Posts
yeah i know what you mean, but 3 main reasons i think diesel, better gas mileage, i get 10 pmg out of my 04 150 now, last longer, and more power, i mean i wouldn't tow all the time, but planing on going on long road trips/hunting trips and it would be nice to have a diesel for mpg and towing a small trailer or boat....
You sound like I did about ten years ago.. LOL Once you get the diesel in your head, your done.. From your earlier posts you really don't need one but it's your money and if you want one then why not buy one. The money you save from buying gas for your F-150 you will spend on 15 quarts of oil/ oil filter/fuel filters every other oil change/fuel additive/ect.. You will spend WAY more on any diesel than any gas truck.. That's just the way it is...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You sound like I did about ten years ago.. LOL Once you get the diesel in your head, your done.. From your earlier posts you really don't need one but it's your money and if you want one then why not buy one. The money you save from buying gas for your F-150 you will spend on 15 quarts of oil/ oil filter/fuel filters every other oil change/fuel additive/ect.. You will spend WAY more on any diesel than any gas truck.. That's just the way it is...
haha i know, i know, i should probably just keep my gas but it is just stuck in my head and that is all i am thinking about, maybe i should wait and see how that new eco boost motor that is in the new 150 good or not.... i do appreciate your input that is why i asked people about it so i could see other people opinions ;)

I

·
0 Posts
haha i know, i know, i should probably just keep my gas but it is just stuck in my head and that is all i am thinking about, maybe i should wait and see how that new eco boost motor that is in the new 150 good or not.... i do appreciate your input that is why i asked people about it so i could see other people opinions ;)
Hey if you can afford it, and you want one then why not. Lot's of people tried to talk me out of it. No go.. I'm on my forth one.. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey if you can afford it, and you want one then why not. Lot's of people tried to talk me out of it. No go.. I'm on my forth one.. LOL
haha LOL, what i am wondering is if i should save for a bit and get the newer
08+ 6.4 one? so many options

·
Registered
878 Posts
If I didn't use my diesel for it's intended purpose, I wouldn't own one..

You could'nt have said it more TRUE! I do not use mine for nothing but a ride to the store on Sunday if I am lucky....It would have been so much cheaper to buy another gasser than this damn mule.......On the other hand a gas burner will never touch the sound and feel of a solid Oil burner....:ford: I remember the days of a $23 oil change but now, ah hell dont even get me started and if she breaks there goes the kids college.....lol

But hey all this from a guy that bought one ha ha and only gets to drive once a week if I'm lucky..........total waste....but would'nt have done it different

1 - 16 of 16 Posts