Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, was just wondering if I could get a few suggestions. I bought a 1997 f-350 single rear wheel power stroke. Im a little disappointed in the power so far. It is always hooked to a 16ft enclosed trailer weighing in at around 6k lbs. Just had a downpipe done and that helped some but still a dog in my opinion. My 6.0 litre gas truck will still out pull it any day of the week.

Was just wondering if anyone could recommend a chip or something that was just gonna give me a little extra power for when I need it but still increase fuel economy also if there is such a thing. Thank you all very much for your time. Here is a pic of the truck back from boddy shop..... bought from orig owner with 122k orig miles. Thanks

Robin Wash Georgetown Ohio

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hard to believe a gasser will out pull it but with a little money thrown into it you will have a big increase in power. I would make sure you don't have any boost leaks or other underlying problems before you start throwing money at it because I just don't see a gasser out pulling the 7.3 even in stock form.

Here are the standard mods for somebody looking for better than stock power. You will need to get some gauges, an intake, and a TS chip with custom tunes. For the intake just search tymar and you will have lots of info. If it's an auto get a tranny temp gauge, boost, and EGT, if it's a manual don't worry about the tranny temp. As far as the TS chip goes just do a search for it to, there are a handful of custom tuners that can help you out. If you are looking for more power than the mods above will give you then you will need some injectors and a different charger.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
You need some gauges first. Then get yerself a TS chip.

These trucks have less than 200rwhp stock... You can get that up to like 240ish with a chip. That's assuming your truck is a 49 state truck and not a cali model...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I bought myself a Bully Dog shift kit and it made a world of difference. Also look into the DIY Intake and do a CAT Delete and Muffler Delete. All that will cost you around $150.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay fellas that sounds like a good start but let me ask yous a few more questions. Im an absolute rookie with the diesel stuff so pardon me if I sound stupid for asking these questions. Almost everyone saids to get guages but do I have to do guages to just install a 50hp chip or some sort of tuner. I was under the assumption that I could just buy a tuner or chip have it installed and that would be my 50hp??

·
STILL LEARNING
18,339 Posts
YES

These trucks should of came with gauges from the factory.

Once you get your gauges in you will see how hot they get with the factory tuning. Any more fuel and you will have a melt down for sure

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YES

These trucks should of came with gauges from the factory.

Once you get your gauges in you will see how hot they get with the factory tuning. Any more fuel and you will have a melt down for sure
Thank you very much sir. Ill get right on it. Where a good place to get guages and what brand you fellers recommend. Once again thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the autometer gs gauges in my truck. They match the factory gauges pretty well minus the orange pointer. They are black face, white letters and led back light. I got them at summit racing. Another great gauge would be isspro, they are factory match.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.