Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
No Comment
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a complete HID/LED upgrade to the old girl. Got all new housings, light bars and switches. Seems like I just lurk and read on forums anymore rather than participating so I thought I would share my progress to give others ideas.

Went with Spyder headlight housings that I retrofitted with Bi-xenon Mini H1 HID projectors, 5000K bulbs and Denso Ballasts.

For the front park lights I went with Depo clear housings and V3 TRITON LED switchback bulbs. Also changed out the rest of the marker bulbs with amber Led's.

For taillights we went with IPCW Crystal Eyes which are also filled with LED V3 Tritons. I also installed Led license plate bulbs.

I also changed out my old Hella hid's on the front grill with a 30" light bar and filled the bumper holes with some smaller led bars.

To finish the project off we installed some custom etched switches in the cubby hole and are in the process of completely rewiring all the auxiliary lighting with new relays and custom built harnesses. Hope to finish it up tomorrow, been working on it since mid December..

Here is the progress so far:

The housings after baking them apart and installing the Projectors:

The Old Faded look:

The New:

The switches:

The new switchback DRL compared to the old amber park:

The new light bars before the headlight upgrade: I also put two of the smaller bars under the rear bumper.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I do like your switch plate. Did OTRATTW supply that or is that something you made?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
So the three LEDS next to the projector are what you have marked as DRLs on the switch?

I just ordered that same Minimotor retrofit projector setup for two of my vehicles. It may have the best projector housing available, but the bang for the buck is very high.

What did you use for the switch cover plate? That's one of the cleanest installs I've seen. It looks like it belongs there instead of an afterthought.

·
No Comment
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do like your switch plate. Did OTRATTW supply that or is that something you made?
What did you use for the switch cover plate? That's one of the cleanest installs I've seen. It looks like it belongs there instead of an afterthought.
You ned this panel from OTRATTW and then you have to work it over with a hacksaw and dremel. The bottom plate has to be completely removed and the top corners need rounded a little then it slips right in like a factory job. I bolted mine to the top with machine screws.

·
No Comment
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the three LEDS next to the projector are what you have marked as DRLs on the switch?
LMAO... No those are just little markers.

The DRL lights are the bottom bulbs that are called White/Amber Switchback V3 Tritons with a output of 430 lm of amber (turn) and 600 lm of white. They also have a 300 lm white mode for nighttime use as the 600 is a bit bright for oncoming traffic at night. When you hit the turn signal the white shuts off and bright amber flashes thus calling it a switchback.

Here is a shot of the V3 Triton on the drivers side and stock type amber bulbs on the passenger side.

·
No Comment
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it all done yesterday. Took it for a spin last night and wow projectors are cool, very bright without blinding anyone. The cutoff line makes some neat colors on trunk lids and tailgates.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looks good! Where did you come through the firewall for all the wires to the light bars?

·
No Comment
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good! Where did you come through the firewall for all the wires to the light bars?
I built a harness with five relay trigger wires, ignition hot, ground, high beam hot wire and backup light hot wire. My light bars are three position switches which are on-off-high beam trigger and my rear lights are the same but with backup light trigger. I wrapped the harness with loom and ran it down the firewall under the carpet behind the throttle pedal. If you pull the carpet back you will see a rubber plug under the throttle pedal that looks straight down on the frame where the tailight harnesses run. I just drilled a hole in this plug and routed the harness with the factory harness up under the master cylinder. Did all my connections right there at the main fuse panel and mounted the relays on the left fender behind my Tymar filter. Also mounted a aftermarket fuse panel behind the factor one to feed the relays. The aftermarket fuse panel is fed by a single 8g wire from the battery which is hooked up to a 40a breaker mounted on the battery post. Made for a factory looking install.

·
Officially Addicted
103 Posts
Where did you grab your back up light signal at? Just in the harness running back to the rear?

·
No Comment
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where did you grab your back up light signal at? Just in the harness running back to the rear?
Under the brake master cylinder there is a four way round plug with one big orange wire and three smaller wires. One of the smaller wires is the trailer backup relay trigger wire from the transmission. This wire is for the trailer backup and doesn't effect the factory backup lights. My extra rear lights are tied into the trailer seven way via a junction box behind the bumper. I cut the backup wire under the master cylinder and ran the backup feed from the transmission to the switch and the other to a relay that is triggered by the three position switch so I have rear light on-off-reverse trigger. Didn't have to run any extra wires to the rear this way.

Side note that big orange wire is the trailer hot line so it makes a great high amp ingnition source if you need one.

·
No Comment
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the led light bars under the bumper and the tailights with the V3 Triton led bulbs. The backup light in the tailight housing has a led projector bulb in it.

·
Officially Addicted
103 Posts
Under the brake master cylinder there is a four way round plug with one big orange wire and three smaller wires. One of the smaller wires is the trailer backup relay trigger wire from the transmission. This wire is for the trailer backup and doesn't effect the factory backup lights. My extra rear lights are tied into the trailer seven way via a junction box behind the bumper. I cut the backup wire under the master cylinder and ran the backup feed from the transmission to the switch and the other to a relay that is triggered by the three position switch so I have rear light on-off-reverse trigger. Didn't have to run any extra wires to the rear this way.

Side note that big orange wire is the trailer hot line so it makes a great high amp ingnition source if you need one.
Good info. Thanks!

·
I be strokin'
243 Posts
Looks awesome!!!!! I wish I was good at wiring!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for the info!

·
No Comment
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did a little changing around on the switch panel and added some ditch lights. Wife really likes the first switch since I installed it for her. Lmao

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looks good! i love the projector's i put in my housing!
Nice clean install!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hey Crummy,
Im gonna dig this up. Just bought the same projector kit and housings from spyder as you. The projector mount dosnt seem to extend though the back of the housing far enough. How exactly did you retrofit the projectors into these housings?
-Andrew

·
No Comment
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Crummy,
Im gonna dig this up. Just bought the same projector kit and housings from spyder as you. The projector mount dosnt seem to extend though the back of the housing far enough. How exactly did you retrofit the projectors into these housings?
-Andrew
I cut the back of the housing down with a hacksaw then smoothed it up with 80 grit on a Dual Action Sander. Remember to measure twice, cut once and then sand it down to fine tune it. Not much thread on the projector so you have to make the housing fairly thin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You should do a detailed write up of this, I have been wanting good projectors for a while, and I love that switch panel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts