Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to buy some gears on my 1997 powerstroke 4 door long bed f350 6 inch lift (about to go to 9 inches) i run on 38s now and plan on going to 39.5 some day. i drive all around town and every 3 or 4 weeks i drive for 4 hours on the highway between college station and denton. but mostly city driving. do i want 4.56 or 4.88? i have 4.10s now

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
That chart is nowhere near correct for our truck, because if you notice, our trucks do not turn 2700rpm with 33's and 4.10's, unless you're doing about 80mph.

And diesels don't need near the gear a gasser does to turn larger tires anyways. Look at the SD guys who run 38's and 40's with 3.73's like my buddies.

I would suggest the 4.56's, but PM someone like diesel_brad, he has a lifted OBS, he would be able to better help you.

Dave

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I didnt have any problems turnin my 38's with 3.73s it was kinda nice on the highway cause lower rpms. And runnin down in the flat country there shouldnt be any problems. I ran down there quite a bit and was just fine. 4.56's at the most even with 39.5s.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks i will, i want to be able to burn these old 38s off and be able to turn new 39.5s with ease, maby a churp here and there if i really gas it. most are telling me 4.56 is the way to go. but i feel like if im goin to change gears and i have 4.10s now.. y dont i jump to 4.88s?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
you jump that high and your bad fuel milage will get worse. especially on the highway runnin 65-75 mph. 4.88s is a way low gear.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If theyre still good you could probly get some money for em.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in a perfect world, id meet someone who has 39.5s and 4.56s/4.88. and also i dont tow anything, im just looking to cherp big tires here in town and the 4.10s are not dooin it. Somthing that gives me a mpg or two back would be nice to.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I never had a problem smokin my 38's. those big ba$tards would strait scream. and that was with stock 3.73s

·
Davey B
930 Posts
If you go off road with the truck then i could see goin with 4.88's, but if you all you do is run on the road id go with the 4.56's. Theres only gonna be a few hundred rpm difference between them.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Lol. Indeed they do but I aint talkin about my 6.4 Im talkin about my 99 7.3 pig. My 6.4 aint goin up. but the 99 was up and would roll those 38's

·
Davey B
930 Posts
Sorry for the hijack, but Biga the new truck looks nice

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thanks man this thing freakin rips. I can not believe this truck it is so sweet. I just cant wait to get some mods on this thing and join the 600hp club :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Lol ya, I'm just P!ssed now just to no that I didnt even test drive one when I went and bought that pile of chit dodge. Well at least I wont make that mistake twice

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
4:10 should be enough gear for 38 or 39.5 Unless you are towing quite a bit.
If you are dead set on changing gears i would go 4:88, because 4:56 is just not enough of a change to notice for the money spent.

I run 3:55 with big heavy 35s in my Gasser. it will melt the tires in 2 gears. But i dont have the power robbing auto. Also, OD is kinda usless w my truck due to the fact that i dont have the torque to keep speed at the low RPMS the diesel can

·
Right Wing Radical
44 Posts
I've got 38's on my '95CC, and went to 4.56 gears. I also run a fair amount on the highway, and wouldn't want any deeper than 4.56.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts