Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did an oil change and new fuel filter. This was the first time I changed the fuel filter since I've had the truck. I've had it for about 50k miles. I've noticed that now after the new filter I'm getting white / grey smoke. I still get black smoke with heavy acceleration, just not all the time. And doesn't seem to be as much as it use to. Also I've been getting a puff of grey smoke when the truck starts, use to be black. This morning I got a puff of grey followed by a puff of black when I started it. Feels like I've lost a little bit of power as well. 2002 f250 7.3L with 175,xxx miles. Tunes from Matt at gearhead, afe stage 2, 4" exhaust and pyro, boost and trans gauge.
I've been searching around on here all day and from what I've gathered, might be injector problems. How can I know for sure? I want to upgrade my injectors, just wanted to wait a little bit. Thanks guys, any advise would be appreciated.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I try and keep mine changed at 10-12k

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the problem, I didn't change it, my buddy did. I was on call at work. We were finishing up the oil change and I had to leave. It was done when I got back.

·
Hood Rich
2,874 Posts
Well, I cant assume his methods, but if you did notice a difference he probably did not drain the bowl prior to pulling the old filter, therefore stirring up the garaunteed crap you had on the bottom of the bowl and it getting thrown through the system. The bowl needs to be drained before you pull the filter than cleaned. There is aways some sort of rust or debris at the bottom....

this guys plea was "but I change the filter every other oil change" and sure enough it came in with a new filter, but it doesnt do a damn bit of good when you dont clean the bowl....

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's bad news right there. It's well worth your time to throw some elbow grease at the bottom of the fuel bowl. It can get expensive to fix!

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of damage could it have done? I swear my truck has a mind of its own. Sometimes it feels like its running great, sometimes it feels like its lacking power. It didn't have stock filter, I put in stock filter and cap. Would the oem filter restrict a bit more causing small power loss?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow that's crazy to think the fuel bowl would get that way. He must have been useing bad fuel or dye fuel. my truck is every bit clean and clear. Maybe cause It only have 57257 miles but I never had to clean anything on bottom even when I rebuilt it two weeks ago.

·
Stirn Again
75 Posts
CTC What is mill dust

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I am hoping dust from a chicken feed mill.
Kinda looks pond sludge thouh....lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
oh man, the only thing missing is the toilet paper,
your injector nozzles are probably trying to push that gunk out too. hence the mind of its own... clean that bowl and run some cleaner in the fuel for awhile. hope that clears it up. otherwise post back the results.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
every fuel filter change I fill the bowl with sea foam. It's as clean as a new one.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I clean mine with carb cleaner.usally a vaccum it first then clean her out with the carb spray. I also only usemotorcraft filters. I'm going to eventualy put an airdog system on it and do away with the stock filter bowl though. Better water seperation and be

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I clean mine with carb cleaner.usally a vaccum it first then clean her out with the carb spray. I also only usemotorcraft filters. I'm going to eventualy put an airdog system on it and do away with the stock filter bowl though. Better water seperation and better filtration

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.