Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m new to the site and new to diesels all around. I have a good knowledge of gas engines of all makes but diesels I have enough knowledge to be dangerous. I recently sold my newer 2005 Dodge and was able to pick up a 1997 F350 crew cab with the 7.3 diesel. I always wanted a diesel and the two I was looking at was a dodge with a 5.9 or a Ford with 7.3 diesels. Well I landed on the Ford for a number of reasons. I also drive a 2006 VW Jetta TDI diesel for every day driving. I was finding that my pickup was just setting and collecting dust but I still wanted one to haul my dirt bikes and pull a camper. I figured I may as well get a used 1 ton so I would have all the power and load rating I would ever need. I hate to start right in on an issue with my pickup and I will try not to just post issues and fall off the map. That said I don’t do the best job of even updating things on Facebook. Computers are my background and on one all day (maybe this is why as I don’t want to be on the computer all the time). My issue is on my 1997 F350 7.3 diesel and it has 155k mile on it. I have had it for about four months and it has been running great from what I can tell. I didn’t notice any abnormal amount of smoke (white or black) and still don’t. No leaks that I can see and over all goes down the road like a 1 ton lumber wagon should. The other day I was pulling a 28’ toy hauler back home which is a trip of four hours in a bad wind (40 mile an hour) and I notice a little loss in power but I was figuring the wind had a lot to do with that but maybe not. Then about 30 miles from home the entire truck started to shake like crazy and worse the faster I went. It was bad at all RPM’s as I stopped and I even had it at an idle. When I would push in the clutch and let it coast with no gas the bad vibration would go away. So I think it has something that went wrong with the engine or 5 speed manual trans. I did notice the day before this trip a vibration when I was speeding up and shifted in to 5th gear. I just down shifted and then shifted again and it went away. Now it shakes a little at idle and just get worse as you increase your RPM in neutral and if you’re going down the road in gear. I would think it is the engine causing the vibration or something that attaches to the engine even when in neutral since if I push the gas it gets worse? My first step is to check the fuel system (IE fuel filter and so on). If anyone could suggest what the next steps should be it would be a great help. Thanks in advance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts