Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ran a cylinder contribution test on my truck, using the scan gauge. last time I ran one was probably 2 weeks ago and it came up clear. today i got the following codes, p0263 p0269 p0272 p0284 which is cylinders 1, 3, 4, 8. Haven't noticed the truck running differently than otherwise. I just put my new chip in the other day, other than that I haven't made any changes. Also, I randomly got a p0344 code which is CMP Sensor Circuit Intermittent. I recently changed the CPS, used one of the crap advance auto ones just for a temp fix. could it be that the CPS is starting to fail and causing the cylinder contribution codes?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The engine has to be up to operating temp in order to properly run a contribution test. If the engine isn't warm enough when doing the test it can cause all kinds of codes. You should replace the junk CMP sensor before it fails and leaves you stranded. You should also run the contribution test atleast three times in a row and compare results. This way you get a more accurate result.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, i'm pretty sure the truck was at operating temperature when I ran the tests, but I did only run it one time. Where is the best place to get the good CPS? Ford is pretty steep if I remember correctly, and the nearest International dealer is a good hour drive away.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
They run about 30 bucks at the dealer or international.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was coming home today and noticed that the truck was jumping when i'd accelerate. it was jumpy whenever i would drive. But it idled fine whenever i would let off the pedal. So when I got back to my apartment I pulled the codes and I ran 3 CCT's. Codes when I got done driving:
P0703- Brake Switch B Circuit Malfunction (not relevant, E-Brake is unplugged)
P0266- Cylinder 2 Contribution/Balance Fault
P1282- Excessive ICP
Cleared those, ran CCT #1, got the following:
P0263- Cylinder 1 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0269- Cylinder 3 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0278- Cylinder 6 Contribution/Balance Fault
CCT #2:
P0269- Cylinder 3
P0272- Cylinder 4 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0275- Cylinder 5 Contribution/Balance Fault
CCT #3:
P0269- Cylinder 3
P0272- Cylinder 4
P0275- Cylinder 5
Does the computer only store 3 codes at a time? My scan gauge never pulls up more than 3 codes. I have seen more codes than just the ones I have listed. I have seen a cylinder contribution balance code for each cylinder at some point. Also got a couple different CPS codes. I'm goin to run to the Ford dealer this afternoon and pick up a new CPS

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Try the new CPS first. Clear the codes after you install the CPS and run the truck again and redo CCT and buzz test and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, left this thread sittin for awhile as I've been busy with work lately. I replaced the CPS with the new Ford dark gray/black one. Ran the CCT again 3 times in a row with the chip installed and in stock mode, it failed all 3 times on cylinders 1, 2, 3. Then I pulled the chip and ran the test 3 more times and it passed each time. Does this sound like a chip issue, a chip connection issue, or a PCM issue?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and the buzz test passes with or without the chip installed

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bump, any idea on whether this sounds like a chip issue, chip connection issue, or PCM issue?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts