Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building myself a new driver / tow-pig.

My current 97 F-250 ccsb My new Crew-Cab (pics) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum has been fantastic, but the need & desire for a dually has come.

I already have another truck I'm looking at.

And of course I plan on installing the typical supporting hardware like Tymar Intake, Intercooler set-up, 4" Exhaust {3" dp}, Gauges, Adrenaline HPOP and etc,....

Now the big parts are as follows,........

Built E4OD (being built)
Electric Fuel System (I'll build myself)
D-66 Turbo (Bean's)

As far as injectors go, I'd really like to go a step or two beyond the Stage 1's that I've been use to.

I'm interested in the Stage 2.5 or Stage 3 Hybrids that Rosewood offer, but I don't want to these to affect the reliability of the turbo either, as I travel many, many miles from home w/ very expensive race-car (actually a race-truck) in tow. Thoughts?

Keep in mind, I plan on having this truck Live-Tuned and not the typical mail order deal. Leaning toward letting Beans do it, since I'm going to be utlizing their turbo.

Ideas & suggestions?

FWIW,....
What kind of #'s (power/torque) would I be looking at?

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Making your truck into a dually?:evil
:whs: That would be AWESOME!!!!!

There are a lot of people on here running D66's with hybrids and putting down some very good numbers. As there sight says they don't recommend anything larger than stg 2s (ie no hybrids!) so they aren't going to warranty it. How heavy are you towing with it? With good tuning you can run hybrids on a stocker. With live tunes you should be good. Talk to beans and see what they say I've never run the combo, but egts may be an issue...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
i tow with 238/80's :) it's all in the tuning.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
reliability I'd go with a stock turbo or 38r with a set of babies and chip from swamps. Rocks out as a tow truck.

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
reliability I'd go with a stock turbo or 38r with a set of babies and chip from swamps. Rocks out as a tow truck.
If the truck in question isn't a super duty (OP didn't say) then a 38R is a complete waste of money IMO. If he's going to convert it to the superduty set up why not spend the money and convert to a H2E mount then he has almost unlimited options down the road?

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
FWIW,....
What kind of #'s (power/torque) would I be looking at?
As has been previously said its all in the tuning. There is a few guys that are making over 500 with a D66 and hybrids. I don't know how controllable the EGT's would be at power, but from what I understand Jonathan at Beans is amazing with programming! :bowfast: I'm sure he can set you up a good tow tune for it since you're already planning a live tune.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
In the end a D66 is still a modified stock turbo though. Still factory bearings, I've heard to many horror stories on them. And your right about the H2E I completely forgot about them. But if your gonna do that I'd just go ahead with a s300 66 mm.

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Binder man I agree the S366 is more turbo for the money. But the D66 came from you OP saying that's what he wanted to run. And there is people running the D66 with hybrids that beans has tuned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts