Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thunder Struck Bumpers built me 2 new custom bumpers for the pulling truck. The front one was built to hold the cummins engine craddle we use for weight.

They just showed up today and it was like Christmas here. I have been waiting to see these for a couple months now and I am so excited to finally have them.:redspotdance:

Maybe within the next month we can get this thing back together. We are still waiting on our custom traction bars and driveshaft hoops. We have also got the headers redone and they are currently getting ceramic coated and I still have to get the new injectors.

Seems like there is never enough time and money for everything.:doh:

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
Looks Sweet!!! cant wait to see pics of them on the truck

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
Why would you add all of that extra weight on the back of a pulling truck? Isn't your truck a regular cab - where weight placement is all that much more critical?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would you add all of that extra weight on the back of a pulling truck? Isn't your truck a regular cab - where weight placement is all that much more critical?
I guess mainly because I want a bumper on the rear.;) That bumper does not weigh no more than my tailgate and stock bumper which are being taken off.

I have spoke with a few of the older guys around here that have been building everything from street stock to division 3 trucks and pulling since the days of concrete blocks and people stepping on the sled as it went down the track. According to them that 75lb bumper on the rear is not going to offset my weight distribution enough to hurt a thing. If nothing else we can make up for it elsewhere.;)

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
I guess mainly because I want a bumper on the rear.;) That bumper does not weigh no more than my tailgate and stock bumper which are being taken off.

I have spoke with a few of the older guys around here that have been building everything from street stock to division 3 trucks and pulling since the days of concrete blocks and people stepping on the sled as it went down the track. According to them that 75lb bumper on the rear is not going to offset my weight distribution enough to hurt a thing. If nothing else we can make up for it elsewhere.;)
Around here that 75lb will be on the shop floor as well as whatever you can use that will make up for it elsewhere.

And my favorite old timer quote: "Just because you have been doing it for years doesn't mean your doing it right"

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Around here that 75lb will be on the shop floor as well as whatever you can use that will make up for it elsewhere.

And my favorite old timer quote: "Just because you have been doing it for years doesn't mean your doing it right"
I will agree on your quote. But there is another quote I have always been found of: "Your way is not the only way"

I just want a nice looking bumper on the truck and I am not concerned about the weight of it. I am not out to compete with anyone and around here there are no twin classes for me to compete in anyways. I am building the truck for nothing more than fun and a little advertising. I pulled to second place a couple times last year and that was a paying spot. But with my twins I am exhibition only and I could care less about winning anything to start with.;)

"I'm not in competition with anybody but myself. My goal is to beat my last performance."

·
Sponsor
1,583 Posts

I totally agree Jason! Around here you have to get the all the weight you can up front and get it out at max length from the center of the front axle! We can't spare anything hanging in the rear of our trucks. FWIW we hang right around 2000 lbs on the front nose of Ben's truck, and his truck empty weighs in at 6000 lb's. How many Extended cabs do you know that can do that LOL

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
I totally agree Jason! Around here you have to get the all the weight you can up front and get it out at max length from the center of the front axle! We can't spare anything hanging in the rear of our trucks. FWIW we hang right around 2000 lbs on the front nose of Ben's truck, and his truck empty weighs in at 6000 lb's. How many Extended cabs do you know that can do that LOL
Its OK Nate - he is just competing with himself. Its just like masturbating - it only takes one. But if he is only competing with himself - how do you come in second? Taking second place in a class of one sucks.....

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its OK Nate - he is just competing with himself. Its just like masturbating - it only takes one. But if he is only competing with himself - how do you come in second? Taking second place in a class of one sucks.....
You crack me up... Do you have difficulty reading??

Read this very carefully and slow.

Pulled in the 8500lb 2.6 class several times last year and took second place in distance but my run did not qualify because I had twin turbos. When announcer told results it was announced that I took second but do to the twin turbos my pull was exhibition only so it moved the payout for second place to third place winner.

Not much of a way to put that any simpler and I hope you can understand it now??

My question for you Jason is this, does what I do bother you so much you have to try and jack this thread up by saying stuff to try and make me look bad?? Am I a threat to you and your way of thinking and doing things so much that you have to try and make me look stupid some how?? If what I do bothers you so much then maybe it is time for you to find some extracurricular activities to do rather than setting at your computer worrying about how I do things.

I have read lots and lots of your post as you tend to post a lot. I have seen stuff you have posted in the past about things you do or want to do that I did not agree with or maybe thought you were stupid for doing. But you know what, you will not find anywhere I made post on your threads putting down what you where doing. I am not that kind of person and I could careless about how you are building or setting your truck up and what you are planning to do with it. I read threads on these forums all day long and post on maybe 1% of what I read because no matter what you know someone always thinks they know more or their way is better. So I leave the posting to those such people as yourself.

Throwing your opinion out is fine and we are all intitled to do that. But have you ever thought for one second that maybe not every one is out to accomplish the same thing you are?? I am not out to build the ultimate pulling truck. If I was I would dang sure have started with something other than what I have. I am just buidling a toy and something that will catch some attention and work well for advertising. That is all and I could careless about beating anyone or winning anything.

I have gotten crap about this truck from the very beginning when I first started talking about the parallel setup. People have thrown just about every joke and smartass comment out there that they could come up with. And I have heard so many times about how it was stupid and will never work. Well so far they have worked just fine with what we have done so far. But we are still tweaking.

So I guess now that I have been beat to death on the turbos it now must be time to beat me up about something else like the bumpers. So if it makes you feel better about yourself then go ahead.

This thread was just to show my new bumpers. I did not ask for your opinion on weight distribution nor did I ask for anyone elses. You act like you are the only one that knows you want lighten the azzend of the truck and get as much weight on the front as possible. I have known that since I started going to truck pulls 25 years ago.

Like I said before, I am not building the truck for competition and if what I do bothers you so much then I suggest you not read my threads anymore. I hate to be the center of your attention and I am sure you can find better things to do.;)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You mention max length or distance from the center of the axle. With the new front bumper and the cummins engine we will be past that max distance by several inches now.

So this is another reason I am not concerned about my rear bumper weight. The weight disance is not legal so that gives us a second reason we cannot compete.

I will say it again, this truck was not built for competition and never was being built to compete from the very beginning. This is just a toy and something I wanted for exhibition only and to experiment with.

·
Sponsor
1,583 Posts
Hey Darrell, when will that thing be making it's debut? What injector plans do you have for it? I'm sure Jims got your back. Just wondering.

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
ill i can say is if you use a cummins block for front weight, its all around badass.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Darrell, when will that thing be making it's debut? What injector plans do you have for it? I'm sure Jims got your back. Just wondering.
Not sure yet... We have been so swamped with work here lately that we have no time or room to pull it in the shop. Then on top of that the past 2 weeks have been great for selling trucks and I sold both my 99s and both my 01s and currently I am having to borrow something to drive.

Right now we are spending all the spare time we we can find swapping out the 6.0 in my 04. It is taking up one of my bays currently and we are waiting on the heads right now that should hopefully be ready next week. Then we have to put is all back together and stab it in the truck and hope my injectors and FICM get back quick.

I will also be in New York for a week starting the 23rd. So I see no sign of it being ready before the second or third week of June.

The injectors we are going to this year is still up in the air at this time. They will be the last thing in as I have several other things I am addressing first.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I said above, I still have several other things to address.

I still have to re-work all of the turbo piping and get it all powder coated.

I am currently having shaft loops and traction bars built. I have no plans to take it out this year until I have all of this stuff done. So if it takes a little longer then so be it.

Here are the traction bars in progress as I type.

We are actually going to be making these to sale to the public. I already have 5-6 sets sold and this first set just came off the laser yesterday.

·
Sponsor
1,583 Posts
Wow! Those look great. With all that revenue coming in you should be golden on a new set of injectors for that thing. Just have to find time to work on the darn thing. I know the feeling, my truck has been down since last July.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts