Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Powerstroke Nation denizens!

First time poster, longtime lurker and I am an excited but nervous new owner of a 2000 F350 SD Ext. Cab LB 7.3 4x4 SRW. :ford:

Excited, because well, this is the biggest, baddest truck engine family EVER as far as I'm concerned :redspotdance: Nervous, because it has 391,000 miles, and has some issues. :eek: No start / Really rough cold start and cold idle. Shakes at low throttle at speed. Plenty other stuff. I got it from a retired farrier in Oregon, and he was cagey at best, and didn't disclose lots of issues with it. I maybe should have known better, but since I was in rural Oregon 700 miles from home with no ride, :gun: and this was a clean appearing truck for a good deal, I bought it and changed the oil and rallied it home that night.

It is next to impossible to jump on a good deal on a 7.3 where I live (bay area California / Kalifornia / Kalifornistan, people's Republik of... :blah: blah blah spare us all the jokes from here on out, we get it, every other place rules). My theory here is that since most trades people commute in from Tracy / Sacramento / etc. to join the building boom in San Francisco daily, they snap up the diesel deals like crazy for the MPG. As such, in California, 7.3s are artificially high in price, (like $10,000 -$30,000 I'm NOT kidding) and gasoline trucks are artificially low in price. (this truck will replace a F250 HD 7.5 l gas that I got WAY cheap.) Also, most diesels are raised up 10" in the front, and have lots of other stuff done to them, which to me signals they've been abused.

My dad in Montana has an OBS 1996 F350 7.3 CC LB 4x4 that he hauls a truck camper around with since new, and I am doing the same now that I have gotten to the point in my adult life where I just need to leave town on the weekends. He kind of instilled in me that it's OK to do some repairs to an older vehicle you buy, and drive the value out of it. Obviously, there's a limit here, but hopefully my reasoning will become clear when the entire scope of work / mods / upgrades are revealed on this Super Duty.

I have just joined this forum and will be posting a couple threads about the progress of bringing a new (to me) 7.3 up to a safe and sound operating level. I've read hundreds if not thousands of posts trying to diagnose some issues with this truck, so I'd like to use this intro thread to get some suggestions on how to post efficiently.

MY PRELIMINARY QUESTIONS:

Should I just have ONE post for every issue and run through them that way? Or, cross-reference the posts / threads to each other? Or maybe manage each under an over-arching post with all the history, and notes referring to the specific posts? Is there a way to link them all together?

Is there a way to do this across multiple forums? Do people post the EXACT same thing in other posts and get different ideas/ thoughts that way? I'm trying to organize my own thoughts and others' responses, but also give a way for other newbs to try and follow the story, across different posts that may interest them.

Or should I just go headlong into posting, and throw caution to the wind? :postwhore2: I know there is much hatred and vitriol for the people who don't do research. Hell, I've been so afraid of getting flame-trolled that I haven't even joined until now! :pointlaugh:

One thing about forums and the internet - there is SO much knowledge, and it's repeated over and over, to the point of new, worse posts steamrolling over more valid, more correct older posts. I want to avoid rehashing things. I don't want to write a research paper, but referencing other older posts and having a comprehensive and detailed set of posts is intriguing to me. (standing on the shoulders of giants, you could say.)

Any input here is appreciated. I'll see how this goes and keep reading more and mull over my options for posting. I may just keep lurking and reading and reading and reading....

Thank you everyone. I welcome input. :bowfast:

·
Native Texan
9,036 Posts
:welcome: to the nation. You should ask the question in the appropriate forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good advice. And I've started! I think...! (7.3 technical section about coolant spray while trying to evacuate cyls on injector install.) I guess I'm just off to the races.Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts