Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am a new owner of a 05 powerstroke. Long time mustang owner and cummins owner new to the powerstroke community.

I purchased the truck on friday 05 lariat crew cab with 92,xxx on it.

I have heard nightmares of the 6.0 engine in regards to the head gaskets and oil coolers. The manager at the dealer said this truck did not have any of those problems and I had him pull the oasis report and it came up clean. The salesmen said all of the work that needed to be done to prevent these problems was already done. Can i take my truck to my mechanic and have him check to see if any of this has been done? If not, what should I have done first if needed? EGR delete? Any information would be appreciated. I love the truck a lot and dont want to lose it due to any of these problems.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have a way to monitor engine coolant temperature (ECT) and engine oil temperature (EOT). If at any time they are more than 10-15 degrees apart, it's time for an oil cooler.

If it still has the EGR, get a good quality delete (if you can).

Especially coming from a Ford dealer, I'd do a thorough coolant flush and refill with a Cat EC1 approved silicate free coolant. Add a coolant filter at the same time.

I hope you enjoy it. When they run right there is nothing like 'em.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can you send me a link to a good/cheap egr delete? Thanks
If I bought one, I'd buy here: 6.0L Performance Machine EGR Delete Kit with Up-pipe

As for the other kit fixing every problem, I'm not sure about that. It may be necessary, but you should find out first. For example, if your oil cooler is not restricted / clogged, there is no reason to replace it. I haven't done head gaskets (yet, haha), but it seems the Black Onyx had a bed reputation... Keep in mind that the labor to install that kit will likely be $3000-$4000.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will go ahead and purchase that performance machine egr delete. It seems like all of the other problems stem from the egr. So far, everything has checked out good so I will start with that. Thanks .

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well, the root problem is usually the oil cooler (which is why I said you need to check your differential temperature). After the oil cooler clogs the ERG cooler fails, or at least that seems to be what happens.

Just as a disclaimer, I did not buy that exact EGR delete kit. My truck already had one when I bought it (along with a clogged oil cooler and weak HPOP). I have bought quite a number of other parts from psdparts.com. They are Miracle Ford (dealer) down in Tennessee. They really seem to have unbeatable prices. I just ordered head studs for my truck, $419. As cheap as the cheapest on ebay. I also ordered a thermostat, $22. Cheaper than the cheapest on ebay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts