Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My dad just bought an 04 6.0. The beginning was pretty rocky, we had to wrench on it quite a bit before it was even road worthy. Previous owner just let it go. Wouldn't pull itself up our driveway. Well anyways, we got the issues resolved and he is looking for more performance that won't hurt the truck. I know they're bad with head gaskets haha. But he has the stock exhaust (doesn't like noise), stock air box (soon to be upgraded) and pretty much stock everything. What do you guys think? We will be using it to tow equipment, and his daily driver. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You don't need any air intake it's good to 500hp +
Things you need
1) save up $3000.00 for repairs
2) 4" turbo back exhaust
3) sct programmer custom tunes
4) coolant filter system w/elc
5) switch to rotella t6 5w40 oil
6) add archoil ar9100 to the oil
7) change oil every 5k or less
8) drive enjoy and wait till you need some new head gaskets

·
JGman141
859 Posts
I would suggest a sct tuner with a custom tow tune, also he should look into a 4in exhaust and ditch the stocker. Mbrp has kits that delete the cat and still have a muffler, I actually used this on one of my customers that doesn't like loud exhaust and he's very happy with it. Also I would stick with the stock intake as you will not really see any gain with an aftermarket one. :ford:

·
JGman141
859 Posts
You don't need any air intake it's good to 500hp +
Things you need
1) save up $3000.00 for repairs
2) 4" turbo back exhaust
3) sct programmer custom tunes
4) coolant filter system w/elc
5) switch to rotella t6 5w40 oil
6) add archoil ar9100 to the oil
7) change oil every 5k or less
8) drive enjoy and wait till you need some new head gaskets
Dang you beat me too it LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok this helps, do you know where we can have the tunes made for the sct? And will the towing tunes wear the head gaskets out faster? I've heard horror stories. And dads saved a little more that 3 grand for repairs haha.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Drew at back road performance makes a nice tow tune
I also like innovative diesels tow tune with turbo brakes it's sweet when you have a heavy load. I also suggest the mbrp 4" with no cat with muffler it sound great almost stock at highway speed.

·
JGman141
859 Posts
Ok this helps, do you know where we can have the tunes made for the sct? And will the towing tunes wear the head gaskets out faster? I've heard horror stories. And dads saved a little more that 3 grand for repairs haha.
It's totally up to you who you want to buy custom tunes from, there are several venders here to choose from. My personal favorite is drew from back road performance. Head gasket failure happens with stock tuning so it seems to be inevitable with the 6.0 of when your hg will go. A tow tune is a really light tune that shouldn't put anymore stress on the truck than normal.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Do you like guacamole?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
We could be stepbrothers lmao

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
We are going to smash some pumpkins in the garage tomoro

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
:hehe: reading this thread was hysterical it was like a typing battle of final jeopardy or something with you both having the right answer LOL. I would also reccomend the blue spring upgrade and 6.4 banjo bolts, both are rather inexpensive preventatives for the 6.0 and well worth it.
Good luck with the pumpkin smashing don't forget to start a smack talk thread with pics LOL

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts