Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My name is Jason and I have a 2002 7.3 f250 diesel (2xx,xxx)miles. It recently has became a pain in the ass to start and needs to be plugged in. Brought it to a local repair shop that came highly recommended and they are stating that the motor needs to be replaced due to low compression in #3 cylinder: 40 psi. to be exact. We bought the truck used from a 3rd party and don't know all the history. The 2nd week we had it the turbo went out and we replaced with a brand new one. And now this. It does blow a heavy amount of smoke out the rear of the truck when it is idling. Is there any way to know if the shop is trying to pull a fast one? Also they quoted me $16,000 to replace it with a new intercooler and radiator. Any thoughts on this? We paid $17,000 for the truck 7 months ago. It is used strictly for towing an RV. I know it was probably a little expensive but its what we could afford at the time.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You sir, over paid for a dinosaur 7.3 motor.

If the #3 is that low, your motor needs replaced. Going by experience, a 6.4 and a 6.7 motor replacement costs that much - not the 7.3 turd! Upu need a new mechanic that won’t take advantage of you. You can buy a used motor for 3000 (I can probably sell you one haha). 1000-2000 installed.

My approach: take the heads off, check all is good. Replace just that piston. Done. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
$17k is crazy high. I'm doing a very nice build for a customer in 500hp range that's fully balanced, blueprinted, studded, etc. and it won't be near that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts