Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of reading and searching and am looking for options for a turbo setup for my 500 hp DAILY DRIVER 7.3 build.....

I know everyone just reccomends a 38r but I've also read they don't spool as quick but do have more top end...

I want a fast truck but don't want to only have power when I punch it... I found the switchblade compound turbo which is a badass design, kinda like a 6.0 turbo, with a fin that essentially makes the turbo smaller at low rpm and bigger at higher rpm...
But the builder had a minimal success when he tried to build it for 7.3 and told me he might try again in the future if he gets enough interest....

My buddy had a 7.3 with 238/100's and a 38r and i think ts tunes from Gearhead. and I didn't like how it ran at all. It seemed at low rpm he had less power than my truck which was stock with dp tuning at the time. Plus he got about 9mpg. His truck didn't even feel like it was kicking till about 30mph

I want super quick spooling efficient low and high end and boost, and from what I can tell with limited experience it seems most guys that build compounds build em for trucks that are much more than 500 hp....

What do y'all think about a compound system for my goals. Twins would be more work to set up but in the long run i think it might be worth it....

I'm not well versed in turbos yet, I understand the basics, smaller turbo quicker spool not that much high end, bigger turbo slower spool better high end, compound you get best of both worlds...

I want her to run great, get decent mileage, quick spool, good top end etc... And I've got a year before I can afford much after my recent bts install to plan it...

What would you guys reccomend for my desires? If you don't mind including housing sizes and why you reccomend it as it will help me become better versed in the turbo world.

I can fab a bit and don't mind the work involved in locating the setup...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
<---Peggy Sue
842 Posts
a couple of dodge guys i know are taking the vgt turbos off of the new cummins and running them on there 24 valves. they have to build a mechanical controller but if you can set it up right it you can have a constant power band of boost throughout all rpm ranges

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that when I found out how the 6.0 turbo works.

But would the 6.0 or 6.7 turbo which I believe are both vgt's support 500 hp?

And how does the controller work for the vanes is it electrical (where my tuner could maybe work something out) or is it a mech linkage to throttle or something

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
S467 is becomin real popular with the 250/100 and up crowd. Gqssb or equivalent, or a gt4020. Might want to call some shops and pick their brains. First you need to choose an injector and then add air accordingly. If your buddy was on gettin 9 mpg then he has other problems or a really heavy foot and matt a gearhead tunes to be tame until the skinny pedal is stabbed. If you think you can control a vgt then go for it but it wont be easy or cheap.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldnt know where to start to control a vgt lol. But it sure would be cool to do, plus the mods would be the main cost as I could likely find one on a wrecked truck cheaper than a new turbo.... Do you think a modded vgt to work would be a better option than what you reccomended?

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
I've only seen 1 vgt on a 7.3 and most say they won't support high hp on a 7.3. I don't think the average joe could make it work. I would just go with an s467 on a t4 and call it a day.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
While picking a turbo is important, it is part of the equation.

I am recommending you call Matt at Gearhead and start talking about a cam with a turbo and injectors.

·
International Diesel Tech
199 Posts
This funny because I was just thinking the same thing as far as the switchblade turbo lately, I would never want to give up the throttle response of the e99 turbo. I think ithe switchblade would be the easiest vgt to run because of the stand alone vgt setup that should be easy to adjust. Also I think its either an s300 or t4 flange so I wonder how it would hook up to the irate upipes, but imagine there would be clearance issues somewhere. Also I think read it is good for 500hp on the 5.9s but I think the 7.3 would probably less due to the bigger displacement. You did not happen to get a price on one did you? I think they are over $3,000.

As far as the 6.0 turbo goes it has been done, but it would be probably the most difficult due to fact they use a solenoid that controls oil to open and close the vanes. A vgt with an external linkage would be a lot easier like a turbo off a dt 466.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know nothing about the VGT turbos nor do i want to for the 7.3. I can say the HFSB the im currently running is working very well with my set-up and i would purchase this turbo again if i do another build. Very impressed. I would love to dyno my set-up just to see where i am. And the 38R that i had previous was not up to the task even with my 205 injectors. HFSB gets my vote.

·
Addicted
1,070 Posts
38r with some hybrids should spool faster than stock and make low to mid
400's and be reliable. If your looking at a compound setup for 500hp that spools great down low and sings up top your in for some research and fab work. Also take into consideration that you need fuel to get your turbo to make air flow, and if you you do that to far down low you maybe be causing excessive stress on the bottom end.

38r with a .84 housing w/ external wastegate, gt45 or 47 atmo with some 300/100 hybrids would be a good setup or get ahold of a turbo builder and tell him what you are looking for and he can build the two turbos to fit eachother and application. Your going to have to decide what you want and buld around that, fuel, air, mods to support and can you use that power without tearing the truck up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I haven't read any of the previous posts, but have you looked into the H2E? Seems to be a pretty stout kit, kinda pricey though. I know that BDP makes the H2E kit with their own upgraded turbo and if I remember correctly the kit can get you 500HP with Stage 2 injectors.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have also read on here that someone tried putting a 6.0L VGT in a OBS 7.3 but had problems with boost. I have always thought about putting a VGT on a 7.3PSD, but never got around to learning about the controller for the vanes..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Okay, I just looked up my post to BDP from a month back. For a Late99 7.3 setup with 250cc injectors, SRP1.1 HPOP, Hypermax H2E with BDP turbo, BDP modded trucks 6 position chip, (Late99 IDM) with BDP IDM mod, overboost kit, 4" turbo back straight pipe exhaust, Regulated return, fuel bowl delete, Larger Fuel pickup, larger lift pump, and a built tranny (ATS, BTS) sitting behind all that they said around 550-600hp. That's what I plan on doing to my truck hopefully this year.

1. Built tranny: $4,500-$5,000
2. H2E kit with BDP turbo: $3,050
3. FFD-REMAN-Stage 3-250cc injectors: $1,850
4. Lift pump: $500-$700
5. SRP1.1: $899
6. BDP 6 pos. chip for modded trucks: $500

That's some of the prices you will be looking at for the setup I listed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Look at my sig for my Excursion...I really like the setup even though its a little light on the fuel and oil. But its still greasy driving it in the rain! My experience with what you are stating with your friends trucks performance maybe in need of some diagnosing... Not to rub salt in you or your buddys wounds but my milage
(6" lift 35's, stock injectored, chip, exhaust, stock air ATS housing/WW) went from 12 highway religously to 18 with my new setup.... A 38r and hybrids should have put a smile on both your faces...? But every truck is different and every truck reacts differently to fuel, turbo, chip mods it seams.
As for the turbo choices...if your looking for no lag and still flow air up top twins are most likely the only option. The S467SX does have a larger lag window than a stocker or 38r but I'm still running a 15* HPOP so I'm sure it will improve once I go bigger oil.
Maybe look into a twin set-up of a 38R and a S47? with some 250/100's and dual SD fuel pumps with a FULL regulated return...Programming will be the end all be all.
Brent.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mstts tunes seem weak down low because thats what holds motors together. When you have a ton of fuel down low it destroys blocks.

Look at a gated 366 or 467. I don't know why you're hating on the 38r its a proven turbo. see how many 500+ HP 7.3 have a switchblade or 6.0 turbo on them? There is a reason, stick with what is trusted.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Easy answer..modded H2e would be best spools fast as hell and bullit proof unlike many options..

PMR's....stick to stage 1's....unless you have the $ to get a block at some point.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts