Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 F250, 7.3/E4OD/92 F350 D60/Sterling
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in an emissions county in Colorado. And I know several people will tell me to move but that's not an option. And I know people will tell me to move anyway. Still not an option.

I have a 1997 F250HD with the 7.3.

I need to pass a visual inspection and "opacity" test to get plates on my project truck. I'm not building my truck to roll coal so the opacity test is easy.

The visual inspection is the problem. The PO cut off the cat a long time before I bought the truck. I need one to pass inspection. There are no OEM cats available anywhere.

Does anyone have experience finding an aftermarket cat that will meet Colorado emissions standards?

Does anyone have an OEM cat laying around they'd be willing to ship me?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
For the visual you could possibly just place a hollowed out muffler in front of the factory muffler and get away with it.

Did the previous owner also upgrade the size of the exhaust also?

Here is a picture of my factory cat that I am keeping just for the reason of possible emissions in the future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PO basically cut off the exhaust after the down pipe and 90° turn under the cab. So I'm going to need some parts regardless.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the exhaust kits I'm finding want to keep the factory cat.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Have you though of going to a exhaust shop and seeing what they can do for you?

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
May of found you a source for your cat depending on the member. He just joined up and said that he is thinking of straight piping his truck.

Reactions: grimmjeeper

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I live in an emissions county in Colorado. And I know several people will tell me to move but that's not an option. And I know people will tell me to move anyway. Still not an option.

I have a 1997 F250HD with the 7.3.

I need to pass a visual inspection and "opacity" test to get plates on my project truck. I'm not building my truck to roll coal so the opacity test is easy.

The visual inspection is the problem. The PO cut off the cat a long time before I bought the truck. I need one to pass inspection. There are no OEM cats available anywhere.

Does anyone have experience finding an aftermarket cat that will meet Colorado emissions standards?

Does anyone have an OEM cat laying around they'd be willing to ship me?

Thanks for the help.
I just tossed one in the trash a week ago 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I am fortunate and live in a no emission county in Colorado.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just tossed one in the trash a week ago 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I am fortunate and live in a no emission county in Colorado.
Bad timing. :confused:

I have to be here for a job so moving to a non emissions area isn't an option for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bad timing. :confused:

I have to be here for a job so moving to a non emissions area isn't an option for a while.
Found this

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found this

Yeah, Colorado follows California emissions standards now. I can chance it and maybe sneak by. But I'd prefer a stock cat mostly because no one makes an aftermarket cat with an EO number.

Thing is, it can be completely gutted. They don't check that. As long as it blows clean and passes visual I'm good. It's stupid.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Hope you are able to find a stock one or aftermarket that fits your needs. I’ve always gutted the kitties on my trucks (and use as a resonator), it takes the harsh exhaust tone away. Usually removed the muffler too and place exhaust in stock location. Years ago someone on here did extensive Dyno testing and the full stock exhaust (with round DP and gutted cat, stock muffler was good for 405 rear wheel hp. Above that HP level aftermarket 4” exhaust made a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts