Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
WASTIN MONEY
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey needing some ways to lower my egts. at WOT on the 300HD tune truck will see 1600 no problem. just did EGR delete and cold side pipe and intake elbow. Dont like the temps so high any help would be great.

·
Registered
97 Posts
throw on a water/meth kit and run just water. will pick up a few ponies and drop the egts by a couple of hundred. will need a good size nozzle.

·
WASTIN MONEY
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trying to get something to drop them all the time not just for WOT runs.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Hey needing some ways to lower my egts. at WOT on the 300HD tune truck will see 1600 no problem. just did EGR delete and cold side pipe and intake elbow. Dont like the temps so high any help would be great.
So you're seeing temps above 1600 easy after installing a CAC pipe and intake elbow? 1600-1700 is okay as long as it's in a short burst. A 4" downpipe will help a little as well.

throw on a water/meth kit and run just water. will pick up a few ponies and drop the egts by a couple of hundred. will need a good size nozzle.
Diesel Power did a test a few years ago on a 6.4 using a kit with just water and it didn't help a bit.

·
WASTIN MONEY
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're seeing temps above 1600 easy after installing a CAC pipe and intake elbow? 1600-1700 is okay as long as it's in a short burst. A 4" downpipe will help a little as well.
Yes it will hit 1600 at WOT pretty quick. Was looking at the 4" downpipe and maybe elites 71mm low pressure

·
08 6.4
261 Posts
Didn't see much drop with a downpipe, but saw the most drop from bigger turbos. Definitely a great upgrade that helps egt's

·
Registered
955 Posts

Diesel Power did a test a few years ago on a 6.4 using a kit with just water and it didn't help a bit.
:whs:

If you want to lower your EGTs at WOT, do a drop in atmo. If temps are your number 1 priority, 72, 73, 75, or 76. I am not saying a 71 won't help (it definitely helped on mine), but if lowering EGTs was the number 1 goal, I would probably go a little larger.

·
WASTIN MONEY
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to lower your EGTs at WOT, do a drop in atmo. If temps are your number 1 priority, 72, 73, 75, or 76. I am not saying a 71 won't help (it definitely helped on mine), but if lowering EGTs was the number 1 goal, I would probably go a little larger.
thanks man. Would you recommend doing studs. also how do you think the stock transmission would hold up.

·
Registered
955 Posts
thanks man. Would you recommend doing studs. also how do you think the stock transmission would hold up.
Personally, I would just wait until you pop a HG to do studs unless you can do the labor yourself and don't have access to a lift because then you could consider doing 1 stud at a time now and save some $$$$. There are a few guys that have done studs 1 at a time cab down, some have held, some haven't. I tend to prefer that when you do studs, you do it right (have the heads milled and magnafluxed) but if you have ZERO HG issues and could save the cost of labor, it might be worth a try.

Just to be clear, my 71 did great and produced a significant reduction in EGTs. IIRC my truck never got above 1350 with the 71 but I have let off to shift and I don't do drag races or sled pulls so I am sure it could have got hotter with an auto tranny running a 1/4 mile or pulling a sled. That being said, through testing (JD for example), the 72 and 76 did run cooler than the 71 (all Elites turbos). I am not saying the other turbos (Barder, RCD) won't do the same, but the test I mentioned was the same truck, same dyno, etc. so it is an apples to apples comparison.

Tranny...I will let some of the other guys chime in since I have a manual. Once you do the clutch on the manual, you are pretty safe beyond 800 RWHP.

·
WASTIN MONEY
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so anyone have any input on if the stock trans will hold up to a 71-72 low pressure turbo

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Stock tranny is good for about 550hp after that I would start saving for a BTS

·
WASTIN MONEY
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks. BTS is a little too expensive for what I need. Hopefully a few more people will chime in on this

·
Registered
955 Posts
so anyone have any input on if the stock trans will hold up to a 71-72 low pressure turbo
Again, I ain't ever owned an auto so to take it for what its worth...i am going by what i have read. Your right foot will be a major factor on the tranny. Your tranny is one of the stoutest factory trannies ever made. Some guys have had very good luck with them. JD had numerous pulls and 1/4 miles with a 71 and a 72. I cant remember if he ran dual fuelers and the 76 for any length of time before he did his tranny. Jerry (08BigRig) is still on the stock tranny (but he is getting ready to do his now). He was running a 72 with dual fuelers and then upgraded to High Powers for a little while. If your tranny and TC are in good shape, they should last for a while if you watch your right foot.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Air wise my truck has... Ported intake, custom uppipes, 6.0 manifolds, intake, 4 inch down pipe to 5 inch exhaust, upgraded intercooler pipe, batmo in low pressure turbo, and it cruised around 500-600 egt at 70 mph isn. WOT it'll hit 1300 tops for the most part. stock fuel, with air dog pump. The H&S is set to defuel my truck at 1500 and it has only beeped at me once.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Air wise my truck has... Ported intake, custom uppipes, 6.0 manifolds, intake, 4 inch down pipe to 5 inch exhaust, upgraded intercooler pipe, batmo in low pressure turbo, and it cruised around 500-600 egt at 70 mph isn. WOT it'll hit 1300 tops for the most part. stock fuel, with air dog pump. The H&S is set to defuel my truck at 1500 and it has only beeped at me once.
Stock tranny?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
97 Posts

you are correct and here is a link. Water Injection Or Intercooler - Diesel Power Magazine

I thought I was in the 6.0 forum, my bad. Dropped my 6.0 about 200 at about 80% throttle and makes it take much longer to hit 1400.

·
08 6.4
261 Posts
I've been running my tow power turbos for about two years, stock tranny with 118,000 on it. Now I don't constantly romp on it, but don't baby it either and so far, knock on wood, no tranny issues

·
WASTIN MONEY
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks man. Maybe I will test it, and just go easy on it till i can get a transmission.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts