Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

97 F350 dually PSD with 190k, stock except for the air filter. Dual tanks are crudded up - when either gets below 1/4, it runs rough, even stalled out on me once. I have been keeping them full-ish and switching over at 1/4 tank. I don't drive it much (dump and home depot) so it sits a lot. Thing is, I'm hauling a 5th wheel 2000 miles in the spring, so I would like to go completely through the fuel system -- drop the tanks, replace senders, gaskets, orings, etc, blow out the switch and lines all the way to the fuel pump. Be a good time to do an electric conversion, but I can't afford that right now.

I can turn a wrench but have no exp on diesel fuel systems, so any guidance is welcome. Be nice to see a YT of somebody actually doing it. I have the service manual on CD-ROM but didn't see much detail.

I full timed in a 5th wheel back in 2013-2014, and didn't have any trouble, but I think it's gotten worse with time. Also I was getting high EGT (~1200) even on small hills, but around 800 on flat ground. MPG was miserable, maybe 6-8. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks,
Darryl

·
Administrator
8,834 Posts
Sounds like the pickups in the tanks are bad. Common problem with these trucks as they age. They fall apart, and then start sucking air around 1/4tank mark.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you still have stock down pipe (flattened) you’ll have higher EGT. Is your boost decent? Does it seem sluggish (for a 7.3)? I’d look for exhaust leaks (up pipes, exhaust manifolds, turbo mount). I’d also check turbo flow to intake for any leaks. You need a good flowing exhaust to get the benefit of improved air intake. If you put together your own e fuel you can do it for about $300 give or take. I just hate all you have to go through to replace the stock fuel pump. I’d also run a tank of hotshots secret in fuel and stiction eliminator in oil. Normally helps, I know it can’t hurt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts