Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying my son a 1992 F350 CC lwb with 7.3 and ZF5, low miles 120ish, Truck ran and drove this last spring but the guy moved and hasn't drove it since, I work with him and have know him for most of his life, he takes care of his vehicles and started it regularly until about 3 months ago when the charge on the batter finally died and he just let it go.

I have checked oil, fuel bowl, added PS911 additive and 2 fresh batteries, I plan on going over there this afternoon to start it since it will be in the mid 50s and warmest day of the week. Is there anything I am overlooking or should check before giving it a go.

Thanks for any suggestions and help

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ran by at lunch, cycled the glow plugs several time, truck cranked over great but no start. I checked all the fuses and made sure the glow plug relay was engaging. I didn't want to crank it to long and burn up the starter, what are my options on getting it to fire other than just cranking till it finally goes.

Thanks

·
7,985 Posts
pull fuel filter and fill it up with diesel, diesel kleen, or even ATF. put it back on and try to fire it. if the glow plugs work, one cycle of 15 seconds WTS light is all that is needed to start once it gets fuel.
also make sure the gas gauge has at least 1/4 tank, the pickup in the tank is known for dropping off and then you will "run out of fuel" around the 1/4 mark.
once you get fuel to the engine, you should get white smoke out of the exhaust when cranking.
30 seconds cranking, then at least 2 minutes off to let the starter cool off.

if no smoke out of the exhaust when cranking if you have fuel, check for 12 volts at the fuel shut off solenoid on top of the injector pump.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, put fresh fuel in bowl, tank was full but added howes to it anyway, checked the solenoid wire was loose thanks for suggestion wouldn't have checked otherwise, tightened it up and a couple cranks she was running great.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I strongly suggest you change out the antifreeze (flush with clean water) and put in new antifreeze with the latest DCA additive package. For this series of engine 90-93 7.3 IDI engines it’s critical to monitor the DCA levels in the antifreeze to prevent cavitational porosity. CP is a specific concern with this engine series, short version is the cylinder walls will erode due to CP causing hydrolocked block and bent rods = new block/engine. Ask the previous owner if he has monitored the DCA additive levels and noticed any antifreeze loss, without a visible leak.... like the over flow slowly dropping over 6 months. You can purchase test strips to check DCA additive values in the current antifreeze and use to monitor new antifreeze.
cheers,
j

·
7,985 Posts
cavitation is no where as bad as everyone claims it is, i have only see two examples in 35 years, and one of them was a 6.9

1 - 6 of 6 Posts