Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been lurking and reading here for a few weeks. trying to build up a working knowledge of tuners,programers etc. after reading all i can, im feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff and info and not sure which way to turn for the right toys for my toy.
that being said, i have read that you guys are the go to for this. i am looking to possibly put a tuner/chip (not sure) on my daily rig to enhance fuel mileage,aid towing. im not looking to put out tons of hp or go fast. got to many tickets already,lol.
the rig is a 96 F-250 Stroke. bone stock engine area. my travel trailer is only 4800 pds. but i do on occasion pull heavier goosenecks at work.
point me in the right direction guys,and help me to purchase the right toys from ya plz. thanx in advance,Dennis.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
First of all, thanks for considering us for the needs for your truck.

The 1994-197 (non California) trucks are very limited in how much power can be made with only the addition of a chip or tuner.

The stock injectors, with stock (no chip/tuner) programming...are only flowing 73cc's of fuel.

With "allllll" the tuning in the universe, the injectors are only able to flow 98cc's of fuel (which is the maximum displacement of the "AA" code injectors, found in those year trucks).

Unfortunately, 98cc's of fuel (all there is with tuning) is only enough fuel for about 200-220hp to the tires...which would be a 40-50hp increase over a bone stock truck.

So...while a chip/tuner is usually the first place most folks start with....I don't think you need to worry about making "all kinds" of crazy hp as long as you are running stock AA injectors.

The thing that you will appreciate more than just raw hp :hehe: is (if your truck is an auto trans)...much better shift tuning (shift points, shift firmness, torque converter lockup control, etc).

Other than the addition of a chip, the 1994-1997 trucks do have a very restrictive exhaust downpipe, which can easily be replaced with a full 3" mandrel bent pipe.

While there are those that will recommend a full complement of gauges, intake system and a full exhaust...I honestly see zero reason to spend $300-350 on a set of gauges, even with a chip...

With stock (AA) injectors & a chip, you would have to be a raving lunatic to get the engine (EGT's) hot enough to even have a chance of damaging your engine from excessive exh gas temps.

A small set of injectors (like our 150cc Baby's) and a chip would bring the power up to a point where you would want a set of gauges, intake & exhaust...especially if you are towing in the hotter chip settings.

If you have any further questions, or would like a quote on anything, please don't hesitate to shoot an email to

[email protected]sel.com

take care~

Dave

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx Dave for the break down. i will get back to you shortly in email form. thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts