Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just installed my new ts performance 6 position chip just a minit ago in my 96 5 speed and have a few questions about operating the truck with it? Here are the settings.
stock
50hp
100hp
140hp
High idel
anti theft
And here is the questions?
Which setting is the best for fuel mileage on everyday driving?
Which setting is the best and safest for towing
and in the truck pulls?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
im gonna say for fuel mileage, stock. for towing probably 50hp. and for truck pulls, 100hp or 140hp.

·
Dreams of owning cclb
695 Posts
im gonna say for fuel mileage, stock. for towing probably 50hp. and for truck pulls, 100hp or 140hp.
just curious(I have the same chip)why use the 50hp setting for pulling but the 100+ for pulls? Also while I am askin questions what kinda rpms do pull trucks usually turn?

·
Registered
229 Posts
ive got the 6 pos. with stock high idle 50 70 100 140 and i get the best for mileage at 100. i dont have sticks or turbo work so i dont really notice a difference from stock to 100. im getting 19 in town and 23 on the highway.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
If you can keep your foot out of it 100hp for fuel mileage like JHO22 said.
97obs your tranny can't hold up to 100+ just pulling something around not to mention the egt issues. As far as hooking to a sled is concerned you're just gonna want as much power as possible for those few moments. It wouldn't be safe towing a trailer with the chip in high setting w/o the proper supporting mods. And youre truck has a rev limiter on it at about 3500 rpm I believe, stock diesels aren't made to spin that fast it could result in bad things happening to say the least.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what if i ran the ol obs in the 100-140hp settings all the time with a 5 speed that wouldent hurt er any would it? Thats only bad for it if you have a auto right:fordoval:???

·
Davey B
930 Posts
So what if i ran the ol obs in the 100-140hp settings all the time with a 5 speed that wouldent hurt er any would it? Thats only bad for it if you have a auto right:fordoval:???
I usually leave mine cranked up, but you still have to watch your egt's. The reason why people say dont tow in the higher settings is cuz high egt's for an extended period can kill your turbo. When your at the pulls, your egt's are high only for a few secs. so it doesnt really hurt anything

·
Dreams of owning cclb
695 Posts
O ok thanks, Glad I asked because I just got my chip Friday and then Saturday I pulled my car and trailer to the racetrack on the 140 setting lol. O well I know now and hopefully Ill have the gauges on soon.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
I usually leave mine cranked up, but you still have to watch your egt's. The reason why people say dont tow in the higher settings is cuz high egt's for an extended period can kill your turbo. When your at the pulls, your egt's are high only for a few secs. so it doesnt really hurt anything
Its not so much your turbo you have to worrry about. Your pistons and cylinders are the main concern.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Its not so much your turbo you have to worrry about. Your pistons and cylinders are the main concern.
:whs:

your best mileage tune will depend on how you drive. run a tank of fuel for each tune and compare. i get the best mileage in my 3rd setting, which is the hottest street tune i have.. thats if i dont hotrod too much! i always tow in the most mild setting to keep egts down. once you get a pyro, you can watch it while you are towing and just try to keep it cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts