Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

NEED some help truck blew an oil line

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  radcustoms 
#1 ·
so today i was driving my 97 powerstroke. and all of a sudden the truck just started bucking while i was in 5th i down shifted into forth same thing then it just shut down on me and the battery light came on thought it was just the battery cuz i had problems with it. try to start it nothing get out pop the hood and it looked like the motor exploded oil was every were. get my buddy to tow it back to my house. we start looking around refill the truck after it leaked 10 quarts out. find the high pressure oil hose blew out on the drive side. put a new one on i had in my shop. still wont start cranks like its wants to start but wont.try resting the battery cuz i heard there was a engine shutoff when it gets to low on oil maybe it would get rid of a code or something. still wont start and it is not throwing any check engine light or anything.am stumped need it fixed really soon its my DD. any edvice maybe it sezied the high pressure oil pump is that possable since it is so old or do i need to bleed the air out of the system some how.

#2 ·
You refilled the engine with oil, right? There's really not a low-oil shutoff, just the injectors won't fire if there's no oil in the HPOP lines.

Is the tach moving when you crank? And did Fuse #22 blow? If no problems there, then I believe you just have air in the HPOP line. Charge the batteries good overnight. Crank thirty seconds or so at a time, let the starter cool down between cranks....this sounds just like a typical startup after folks change their injectors.

#3 ·
yes i refilled it with oil. yea the tach was moving a little bit just like normal. did not check the fuses tho ill do that in the morning.what does that fuse run. well when u do injectors i seen the one video on here after the injector install u gotta pull the glow plugs crank it a few time then put them back in. is this how u bleed the air or u just gotta keep cranking till it starts.

#4 ·
If you refill the HPOP reservoir that might help.

#5 ·
The reason ppl pull their glow plugs is to purge the cylinders of the fuel/oil that drains into them when you pull the injectors. Ppl also have to pull fuse #22 while doing this because this fuse runs the IDM letting the injectors fire.
The only way to get ALL the air out is to just let the truck run.

#6 ·
Do as Tom S suggested and refill the HPOP resevoir. I bet it will start then.

#7 ·
Am gonna try to refill. the resivor in morning. before i tried starting it i looked in there and there was some oil up there.today when i got off work i checked the fuse it was fine. tried starting it again wont start sounds like it wants to put almost seems like it is not getting enough pressure. could the HPOP have blew on it to, and now its not getting pressure to the injectors.

#9 ·
It should be right to the bottom of the threads where the plug goes.

#10 ·
Okay so now i got it running again put the battery charger on it. replaced #18 fuse it was blown not sure what that one runs. put after that and cranking it a few times it started. took it out for a drive to get the air out. and now it wont start on the first crank. i wait for the wait to start light to go out i crank crank and crank. no oil pressure reading on the gauge. now on the third time of cranking the oil pressure come back and to turns over but it cranks fo a long time like 30 seconds. now it used to start right up after the wait to start light went out, till this happened. need some more input. am thinking its gotta be one of the pumps or something easy like a sensor.

#11 ·
Take it out for another drive and run it hard. If you only went for a little drive there is probably still air in the system

#12 ·
well took the truck out and degreased it really good. let it dry off really good. took it out for a long spin and to run it hard to see if i could workout the air. still nothing now it feels like the truck has no power at all and the check engine light came on. and i guess and the oil on the clutch is making it not grab at all, is it junk now. plus once i got it home it is smoking on top of the motor not real bad tho but a good amount. and it still is not starting on the first try. almost like its not getting any oil pressure at first or not enough.is there any way i can hook up a gauge to measure it. i had one on my old truck but i had it on the resivor but thats not acurate.

#13 ·
Pull the ICP sensor out and make sure the oil is right up to the threads there. An air pocket can form under it preventing the ICP from operating correctly. Have the codes read as well.

#15 ·
Know the truck will not even turn over it is not the air in the system at all some thing else went wrong. gonna try to pull the ipr. and i cant read the codes on my scanner now. i bought on from autozone for obd2 will that work on the diesels or no. truck will not even turn over even with the barrtey charger on jump start.

#19 ·
just pulled the icp sensor there was no oil at the top of the threads. so i took on off my other truck that i knew worked. and the rubber boot that was on the plug to cuz the one was missing.

#20 ·
No the point of pulling the ICP is that sometimes an air bubble forms there if you have opened the system. All you have to do is add oil in the rail until it is full then screw the sensor back in. You are getting ahead of us on fixing it. Just slow down and listen to what you are being asked. You are beginning to contradict yourself which is making this real hard to diagnose. You said it won't turn over even with the battery charger on jump start and then the next post you say it turns over fine but just won't start. We need to know which one so we know which direction to go in bud. Try to be as clear and concise with the symptoms as you can so we can help you get it running again. Oh and take the scanner back to Autozone. They do not work on our trucks. Where are you from? Maybe someone lives close enough to you that has an appropriate scanner that can lend you a hand.

#21 ·
sorry to confuse u guys. it has been cranking the whole time just not starting. i pulled the icp sensor like u said the oil was low. i went to my other motor i had on the motor stand and pulled that one and the oil dripped out the treads. so i pulled that sensor out cuz it was new. and the truck i am trying to fix i think the sensor shorted out cuz there was no boot on the plug end,and it got wet when i was engine washing it. cuz thats when i had the engine light come on after washing it. now i have the new sensor in it and it started up i took it out and it ran fine. so am hoping thats all it was. we will see thanks man for everything i would have never thought of that sensor. ill be sure to take that scanner back. i was just so fed up and i wanted to try it i had a feeling it would not work but it was worth a try. i really wanna save my money for the Auto Enginuity from ITP.

#22 ·
There ya go bud. Glad you got er runnin again. That sensor is very important. Did you use the rubber boot this time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.