Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
PSN Veteran
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing a rosewood diesel DIY stage 1 kit. Got the truck running, let it run for 30 min before i test drove it. On my way back it started running rough and then died. Now i cant get it started again. I need help

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Check High Pressure Oil pressure?
Check fuel Pressure?
Check wire connections?
Did it start knocking before it died?
Any white smoke?

·
PSN Veteran
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My scan tool says im running around 370 psi for oil pressure and with a gauge im getting 30psi off the IPR while cranking. wire conections are good. i replaced the wiring harness under the valve covers. No knocking, it just started chuggin like it was running out of fuel and then it died. I had some white smoke when i first started it up. Is it possible that i still have air in the oil rails or in the injectors?

·
PSN Veteran
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim is there a procedure for bleeding the air out? maybe theres something that i missed or didnt get it all out the first time and not its air locked?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
You will need more like 500PSI to start.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You need around 2750 psi of fuel pressure to overcome the nozzle spring for the injector to actuate, so at a 7:1 ratio thats around 400 psi of HPOil. Your 370 is really close.
I do not beleive it's air in the system that would shut the truck down.
You know it took a long time to start the first time after you put the injectors in, have you been cranking for just as long of a period after it died? It takes a LOT to get it going again, not just a few revolutions, but lots of cranking like the first time.
Pressure drop across the system could be from an injector, junk in the IPR, etc. but it's usually lower than 370 from what I have seen.
Crank the hell out of it again and see if it starts. Maybe even disconnect the glow plug relay and use a tad bit of starting fluid in the turbo to see if it will start and keep running itself.
Not sure what would have killed it though...

One other thought, did you check your fuel pressure? Even just bleeding the schrader valve and trying to restart will tell us something.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
You need around 2750 psi of fuel pressure to overcome the nozzle spring for the injector to actuate, so at a 7:1 ratio thats around 400 psi of HPOil. Your 370 is really close.
I do not beleive it's air in the system that would shut the truck down.
You know it took a long time to start the first time after you put the injectors in, have you been cranking for just as long of a period after it died? It takes a LOT to get it going again, not just a few revolutions, but lots of cranking like the first time.
Pressure drop across the system could be from an injector, junk in the IPR, etc. but it's usually lower than 370 from what I have seen.
Crank the hell out of it again and see if it starts. Maybe even disconnect the glow plug relay and use a tad bit of starting fluid in the turbo to see if it will start and keep running itself.
Not sure what would have killed it though...

One other thought, did you check your fuel pressure? Even just bleeding the schrader valve and trying to restart will tell us something.
I do not believe the PCM will be happy and try to fire the injectors until it sees right about 500psi though but someone can certainly correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Yeah, Tom, somewhere in there. I've watched my mechanical gauge and it's right in the 400 - 500 psi range, gauge jumps/moves quick once it wants to start.

Air in the system won't cause it to die, just run a tad rough till it gets purged.
30 psi is low for fuel.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
It should still start up with 30psi of fuel. I would be looking at the oil pressure first. It should build to 500psi fairly quickly and go well beyond that when all is well. It also takes good cranking speed and good battery voltage to start.

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
Mine did not start right up like normal for about 100 miles of driving. It would take 5+ seconds to start a couple of times. I would disconnect the harness plugs or #9?? fuse not sure on the fuse number and crank for 20 seconds a couple of times with rest inbetween. If you have a battery charger hook it up to help with cranking speed. After 2-3 sets of this put the plugs back in and see if it start and runs fine.
Good luck.

·
Inmate #1
418 Posts
Don't forget to clean the FPR screen. After an injector swap, all the little nicked oring particles go there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
what did it end up being?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts