Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, need some advice on where to put my new CB. Trucks in my sig. Don't really want to mount on my dash and I have plans for a dual overhead gauge pod in the future. Any ideas and pics would be excellent. As always thanks in Advance.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Hey Tyler do you have a sunroof in your truck? What CB do you got or what size is it?

I have mine in my overhead console. It took a lot of work to get it there, but I like it cause I had no other use for the console and it gets the CB up and out of the way. Otherwise down in front of the center seat or console seems like a good spot.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You have a pic of the inside of your truck? I might be able to pick out a good spot of I had something to go by..

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about not having a pic, my comp is down and not sure if I can upload one to PSN from my Iphone. Josh, I don't have a sunroof and it's a cobra 29. I'm thinking the overhead console as well, how did you run your power cable and your co-Axel cable? What all was involved in doing it in the overhead console?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Sorry about not having a pic, my comp is down and not sure if I can upload one to PSN from my Iphone. Josh, I don't have a sunroof and it's a cobra 29. I'm thinking the overhead console as well, how did you run your power cable and your co-Axel cable? What all was involved in doing it in the overhead console?
I ran all the wires down the A-pillar, coax, power/ground, and gauge wiring.

Now here is the worst part, if this doesn't scare you away from this spot then it might be for you lol

I have lots of pics of all I did for it, if you do plan on going through with it. Took a little bit of cutting on the outer part as well, but not much, the sunglass holder still works perfectly and I put the mic clip on the side of the console.

I've been too lazy to fix the little gap between the headliner and the console, but the radio has been up there for almost 2 years now and is holding solid even with how ugly the above looks lol

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Brother, I'll probably end up going that route but I'll just run my cables down the passenger side A-Pillar. How hard was it to pull the headliner and overhead console?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
not too hard, for the headliner you wanna pull everything back to the B-pillars and then you can angle/bend the headliner enough to get everything done. I've done it enough times I think I could have it all out in about 15-20 minutes.

The visible portion of the console simply unclips from the above portion (2 clips at the front and 2 clips near the back). Then the Black part has 2 clips at the front just above the windshield and has a tab that goes into a brace on the ceiling. Only tricky part with this is folding it down to get the tab out, and then it is above the headliner so you have to pull the headliner down just enough so you can sneak the black piece out towards the windshield.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thanks man, I'll see just how bad it's all gonna be, got to get some antennea's and co-ax and other things before I can install. But I'm gonna try this over head location.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone else have any ideas? I might be needing a backup plan lol

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully Tank will see this thread so I can see how he's running as well. Always pays to have a backup plan.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nobody has any other ideas???

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Personally I really like the overhead mount.

This was right after install, since then the rear view mirror is gone.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks trailer hauler for the pic, I have an overhead console so it might go in there. I like the no rearview mirror thought, since I basically drive out of my tow mirrors I think I could get away with not having one, how hard are they to take off or put back on if I wanted to? Tony I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket CD player that I can hook my Iphone to and play music off of it, so I might go how you did with the CB or I may just try and figure out a way to put two gauges down there instead of a dual overhead pod, then I could hang the CB there.

·
Peon
727 Posts
I made a bracket that screws to the bracket supporting the -20- portion of my split front bench seat and used some heavy duty velcro to attach the CB to it. The bracket is ~9" wide and is shaped something like a "7" with a little bit of a kink to one of the legs so that the face of the radio is pretty much flush with the top of the seat. I don't have any pics (thought I did but must have killed them off of Photobucket) and I don't currently have a CB since apparently the Cobra 29-series isn't coffee proof but I might be listing the bracket in the Classifieds soon if you're interested.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jvencius thanks for the offer but I don't have a front bench seat, just two captains seats. If you can get me a pic of that bracket I may take it and find something for it. Tank that's a really clean looking install man, I really like it but I don't think that will work with my captains chairs. Thanks to all the ideas though guys.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Replacing your center console with a nice 08 one, then mount the cb to the front of it wouldn't be too bad, and its an excuse for an 08 console...

Oh and... "so, funny man, tell me a joke."

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
Replacing your center console with a nice 08 one, then mount the cb to the front of it wouldn't be too bad, and its an excuse for an 08 console...

Oh and... "so, funny man, tell me a joke."
That sounds like one of the best an easiest ideas to me. And plus you get a sweet new console out of the deal!!

Or you could just get some heavyduty velcro and slap it on the dash :poke: but that would be the douche method. Maybe something with a tupperware container.....LOLLOL

1 - 20 of 41 Posts