Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 diesel is running rough at cold start up and it is smoking blue smoke so bad that the diesel fumes will blind you. It's almost like raw fuel coming out the exhaust. After a few minutes it clears up and runs fine. Any ideas???:confused:

·
Mean Green
403 Posts
My '05 diesel is running rough at cold start up and it is smoking blue smoke so bad that the diesel fumes will blind you. It's almost like raw fuel coming out the exhaust. After a few minutes it clears up and runs fine. Any ideas???:confused:
How cold is it where your at, my truck ran rough for about thiry seconds and smoked blue when it was anywhere from 30 degrees or below. Most people told me the 6.0s will smoke and alot of people have had this cold start problem. The blue smoke is fine, but depending on how long it runs rough and how rough it is it could be a couple things. If it is really cold out a injector could be sticking, put some diesel fuel additive in ur tank. If it has problems firing and takes awhile to start and runs rough it could be ur ficm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran a fuel additive through it and it didn't help. The dealer put on a new ficm, new egr cooler, and did a reflash and nothing has helped so far. It has been in the 20's and 30's but is beginning to warm up more here. It only runs rough and smokes blue smoke until the engine starts to warm (about the time the thermostat opens) and then it clears up and runs fine. I think it is injectors but it hasn't thrown any codes. My warranty is almost out and I'd really like to get it fixed while Ford will still pay for it. Would the injectors be sticking when it's cold and not throw a code??? How can I test the injectors to be sure they are working like they are supposed to? Thanks for all of your help guys..... Mike
P.S. It ran rough when cold before I took it in, but it only started blue smoking and smelling like raw fuel after the flash...

·
Mean Green
403 Posts
I ran a fuel additive through it and it didn't help. The dealer put on a new ficm, new egr cooler, and did a reflash and nothing has helped so far. It has been in the 20's and 30's but is beginning to warm up more here. It only runs rough and smokes blue smoke until the engine starts to warm (about the time the thermostat opens) and then it clears up and runs fine. I think it is injectors but it hasn't thrown any codes. My warranty is almost out and I'd really like to get it fixed while Ford will still pay for it. Would the injectors be sticking when it's cold and not throw a code??? How can I test the injectors to be sure they are working like they are supposed to? Thanks for all of your help guys..... Mike
P.S. It ran rough when cold before I took it in, but it only started blue smoking and smelling like raw fuel after the flash...
The blue/white smoke at cold start up is normal condensation burning out the exhaust when its cold. I wouldnt worry about it too much unless it continues to run rough even after warm up cause everybody tells me the 6.0s are cold natured and their has been alot worse cold start issues than yours. if it is really bad and continues when the weather is warmer then it could be injectors or ficm

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
Sure sounds like injectors. Can you get an oil sample and get it analyzed? Fuel in the oil can cause issues. Also you can check to see if the oil level has risen any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts