Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll try to be brief. 2003 F-350. Owned it for a few months now. Just realize it is not equipped with a trailer wiring connection at the bumper. Must never have been used to tow. I need help identifying what I need to purchase. I tried searching but there are many different harnesses and options that come up. Some look correct but they say only for 1999-2001. All I see under the bumper is a harness connector that has nothing plugged into it and I assume it is where I would plug something new into. It has 2 rows of four holes in the middle and then four pins I think, one on each corner. Also, will the brakes on my camper work if I don’t have a brake controller? If I need one how hard is that to install? Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
Brake controllers are plug and play to the harness under your dash above the transmission tunnel. You will need either the specific ford harness (your ford dealer can give you the right part number then buy online) or get a generic harness and splice it in. There are 7 wires to control your trailer. Red+black 12v hot and ground (power for your trailer brakes if they're not surge) green, brown, white and yellow. Those are brake lights, running lights, left and right blinkers. NOT IN THAT ORDER. A simple google search will give you which color is which circuit. Wire those 7 into a 7 way plug and your good. simple stuff just take your time.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,212 Posts
Don't forget the seventh wire - blue

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. Would someone be willing to share a link that would show a 7 pin recepticle with a harness that would fit my 03? I see some that look like they would work but they say only for earlier models. They include 2 rests and two fuses. Is this not necessary for mine. The end I see yo under bumper has 8 holes in middle (2 rows of 4) and one pin in each of the four corners. Just hoping to find something I can plug in and not have to splice wires if I don’t have to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m wondering if it would be as simple as splicing a 7 pin connector onto this harness? It only comes with a 4 flat but looks like it has the extra 3 wires folded up as an option. Can anyone verify this idea would work? The gray harness connector is really what I’m after. This would plug into the available harness connector that’s up under bumper behind spare tire. I can’t find a 7 pin socket to mount to bumper that has that end as part of the kit. They all either come with a round connector or a t - connection. Seems like all I need is the single gray connector

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts