Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is on the way home from a repair shop out of money and the dont know the problem.it melted the valve cover connection fixed it it runs but check eng light on on about 5 min run time it shuts right down but start right back up with light on and if u catch it right when it goes to shut down and hold the padel half open it works throw the problem and light goes off and will stay running.
have replaced the cam senser, 1 injecter that was bad, glow plugs,lof,valve cover gasket and one harness plug, cant get comupter to communicate for code and it did all of this before it melted the covers. any one with any ideal please help thanks pupdady in virginia

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Check your cigeratte light fuse. It is also the fuse for the scanner connection. That should let you pull codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked fuses all good waiting on scanner to check it again ran it yesterday for about hr after eng l8ight when off but it missing and smoking

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Melted valve cover could have been caused by the bad injector...depends on what was bad. If the injector did cause the harness to melt it could also have ruined the IDM...
Best,
Jim

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
were it it located idm and how to test it.
There's no truck in your signature, so I can't say for certain. If it is a 99.5-2002 SD then the IDM is in the left front wheelwell right behind the F-series badge. You have to open up the aft half of the wheelwell liner to get it; don't remove the entire liner.

I think you are at the point you need some sort of scanner that talks to PSD motors to diagnose things further.

Good luck!
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had this same problem about 2 years ago and the great knowledge from the guys on this site help me find the problem.:bowfast: I had two wires fused together that were going to the IDM(or was it the IPR???can't remember) causing my CEL to come on and made the truck run like crap. All this happened when I blew a high pressure o-ring from my HPOP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts