Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help truck won’t start and I don’t know why. Some background on when and what happened: Last Saturday I left my truck at a friend’s house for the night while we went out. Sunday I walk over there and tried starting it but the battery died so I had a bud with his old gas truck try to jump start it and we couldn’t get enough juice back in the batteries to get it to turn that long and that fast. So a guy driving by in a diesel hooked up to it which helped but he made some comment about fords being either whores so while I was cracking it he sprayed some in there but I wasn’t watching him next thing I know it starts cranking slow like its either locking so I stopped cranking it. We pulled it home hocked it up to a battery charger and plugged it in and have tried on and off since Sunday to start it. I have so fare I have unplugged the chip and took the plug out of the top of the hpop valley to see if it was filling up to see if the hpop is still working but nothing so far. When it cranks it doesn’t even sound like it’s trying to fire so I need some ideas. Sorry for the page long post>

Thank you
Jon

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
My vote is at least one bad battery or bad connections.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
If they batteries were dead/almost dead before you first started cranking on it that is where I would start.

Some things you need to check after you check and possibly replace the batteries:

Check all your fuses underhood, especially the fuel bowl heater fuse.

Swap the PCM and IDM relays one at a time with the horn relay, and try starting.

Does the tach move up slightly when you're cranking it? If it doesn't, and you are getting the WTS light, try swapping the cam sensor. If the WTS light is not coming on, go check those fuses and relays again.

If those points check out, you need to hook up a scantool and get back to us.

Dave

·
Registered
448 Posts
gpr not sending power to the plugs??????, go to walmart and get a plug in voltmeter, turn the key to on after youve got the combined average system voltage over twelve and see what it drops to when it lights the plugs if it drops at all. for it to be sending power to the plugs it needs to be between 10.8-11.6.

now since im sure youll be back and forth from auto part stores, take 10 minutes and pull your alternator and have it test, just for kicks. its also important to have the batteries and starter load tested to see if they will hold a charge.

finally, its gonna sound stupid but these trucks are extremely picky about electrical so give your battery connections a good torque down (believe me ive had the issue with it when they seemed dead tight too).

then if all thats fine like the guys say you have to not only pull codes but see what the Scantool says about your HPOP, IPR, CPS, and ICP.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The WTS light does come on and i was thinking the cam senser might of went bad so i put a new one in there and it didnt help. IM out of town right now with the old lady but ill check the fuses when i got back but while im gone a guy at my work is going to try and take the s/v shops computer down and scan it for me if he can get awa from work long enough to do it.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I seriously doubt the cam sensor happened to go bad on the same day the batteries were dead.

·
Registered
448 Posts
the wts light dont mean that it sent voltage to your glow plugs...... believe me youll see a second dimension to this issue with some sort of system voltage meter to tell you in real time whats going on

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just replace the glow plugs and the glow plug relay but the only thing that im trying to figure out is that it doesnt even sound like its trying to fire

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Does the WTS light come on when you turn the key to RUN?

Is there any white smoke out the tailpipe when you crank it?

Does the tachometer move when you crank it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I suspect the batteries.

If you're not getting enough starting RPM out of those batteries, you will not be getting enough HP oil to fire the injectors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well guys thanks for the advise im headed back out of town tomorrow back to where i work and ill try look at what everyone has suggested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts