Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up my first 97 7.3. Awesome trucks... Once you go ford, you'll never go back!

Previous owner put a cheap paint job on it. Starting to peal, and show his business decal BLAH! Im not an experianced painter. Although Im very handy, and have painted cars in the past. Cant remember what paint brands I used though. Going to paint it Blue and White, with the white down the sides, and a blue hood. Whats a good paint brand?

I forget what the stages are but. heres my plan.

Take off all the hardware, Sand the heck out of it..
pop out a minor dent, and make it a bondo condo lol.

tack cloth whole body

Use some sort of oil solvent remover. (like what?)

Prime it, Paint it. Buff it. I have the gun, and Im not sure if im interested in doing a clear coat. because I've never done one, and I dont have much to spend.

What exactly is that concidered, a two stage? Or one stage? Also do you have to buff befor you but a clear coat on? Can I use a clear coat with my spray gun?

Main question really is... Whats a good brand of paint that wont chip and fade quickly. With my budget. Its not much, under 500:ford:

Thanks guys!

Jake

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Emron single stage.lol.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i would use PPG its a good product and very user friendly. as for single stage v.s base clear the single stage will be easier to spray, only one product and its less likley to show scratches. base clear is somewhat more difficult to spray but yields more shine and easier to buff/ wax. personally i would go base clear but its your call. if you go base clear look into kemperlee clear it is inexpensive and in my opinion the best bang for the buck clear within a reasonable pricerange

also you do not buff before clear buffing is only after the painting is complete
it would also be worth while to invest in a good spray gun it will make as much of a difference in the quality of the finish as the paint

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For my lifestyle, basic works. But I do have all the tools to do it. Just time consuming. Actually I have every tool to do anything! Muaha.. here we go.. time to start sanding.

Sanding.. Sanding is tough work, Time consuming, and very boring. I have sanded a lot in my life, Wood mostly. I've noticed the more you fine sand, the better it looks.. I spend weeks sanding custom furniture. The boring work shows your effort as an individual. Doesn't that go for everything in life? The more you go after something, the better it gets. Happy trails all! Thanks for all the info, This forum Rocks!

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
if you dont have any filler or body work to do or your not going to bother you could just wet sand with a block the whole truck with 400 grit and paint right over that you dont have to take it to bare metal and start from scratch
as for tha filler if you can get behind the panel and push most of the dent out you will be far ahead rule of thumd is 1/8 an inch of filler or less. after pushing it out sand the area with 80 grit apply filler sand straight with 40 grit then remove the scratches with 80 grit then finalize it and feather it out with 180. do this before you block it
and for solvents your going to want to wipe the whole truck down with a wax/grease remover after sanding before paint or tacking, we use PPG brand DX330 its only around 30 bucks a gallon and one will be plenty
on a side note what spray gun are you going to use?

and on a side note i base cleared my truck bed two tone for $280 and have enough materials left over to do the fenders and doors when i have the time
sorry for the long winded skatterbrained post im thinking out loud and body work is my thing

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I hope you know I was kidding about the Emron paint. That stuff is for commercial vehicles and the like.

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
:doh: i just made a new thread on this same basic thing. I should have searched before i made it :doh:

·
Registered
574 Posts
PPG is the manufactore. They have MANY lines that they make. Omni is one of their cheaper lines. They also have Deltron (DBU or DBC) Envirobase (wateborne) in basecoats then they have Concept ( single stage ) Concept CLV Delstar,Delfleet,MLE,AUE and many many more. It's all about longevite. You get what you pay for. The cheaper lines don't hold up for 2-3 years. The higher lines will many times come with a lifetime warranty.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i have the deltron DBU on my truck and i get it discounted through where i work so your not going to quite match my price.
the concept single stage lays out very nicely for a single stage when sprayed correctly. its all in the application depending on what you choose it needs to be sprayed differently

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awsome info! Im going to go ahead and try that out pstroker96, Although what do you mean by it has to be sprayed differently?

The gun I have is... HVLP gravity advantage 1.5mm No.90103

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Did my truck in PPG DBC9700 (base coat/clear coat). Material came in just under $800.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i mean that when you spray a single stage paint you have to put it on heavy. i mean really, really heavy, it was put to me this way- go as slow as you think you can go with the gun without running it... then go a bit slower.
when you spray base/clear the base goes on pretty light just enough to give it color and have an even metallic when applicable. it shouldnt be very shiney at all with base only down then spray the clear medium heavy to heavy depending on brands temp ets its difficult to explain how to spray clear over the interweb to many variables, brand quality, reducers, weather etc etc

the gun you have should be pretty good for a single stage, i use a Sata jet 3000 with a 1.3 tip and its on the small side for single

1 - 15 of 15 Posts